The rFactor 2 Blog | Tracks

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

Hello Paul Jeffrey, you should hire community studios to help upgrade tracks to PBR.
    Ex: Asr Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001407794/myworkshopfiles/?appid=365960 ODB
    Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197975795635/myworkshopfiles/?appid=365960
    Schumi's Workshop https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508582012
    Tchachalowski Workshop https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198394400265/myworkshopfiles/?appid=365960

2. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Thanks for the kind words about the tracks blog everyone, and for the excellent questions ready for our next post on cars!

Really happy to see these have been well received, and hopefully go some way towards keeping everyone in the loop of our development and plans, and increasing our transparency.

Please do keep these questions coming, I've got a sneaky desire for each blog to have more questions than the last one - so we've got quite a few spaces left to fill over the next 2 weeks!!! :D

Cheers

pkelly, memoNo1, I_Bellett and 2 others like this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have many questions about cars.

At this moment two most bothering my mind are:

1. Is S397 interested in boosting up manual transmission simulation ?
    2. Is S397 interested in revising solid axle simulation ? In addition to this question, can S397 confirm that something is not right with how solid axle ultra chassis simulation works right now ? I have worked on many cars with it for rF2, and I think something is not right about things related to body pitch and probably roll too.

Few more questions:

3. Is studio happy about recently made improvements how studio builds tires, such as for BMW, FPro and new Tatuus car ? And does it seem that simracers welcomed the differences ? (I did btw :D)
    4. What is the root problem of interior windshields responding to light in reversed way, which makes for big troubles during night ? The dirt textures, and baked in interior reflection texture on inner windshield is a massive immersion boost, is this high on priority list of future graphical improvements ?

Joe Vogt, atomed and memoNo1 like this.
  4. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Dear Devs,
    when will the glass shader on cars be updated to reflect the sun?
    Better tire shaders would also be nice. Are they car specific?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    atomed likes this.
  5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Question:

Do you see any benefit in going after Vintage licences? The heritage back catalogue of Williams F1 for example. Having rFactor 2 be a way to archive these pieces of machinery that may not be able to run in real life for too much longer.

6. Spyro

Spyro Registered

Questions regarding rain graphics:

Why the rain visual was not implemented on cockpit view for open wheel cars? Could we expect something to be done about that?
    I have the same question for the mirrors too (Exteriors / back cameras).

Also I know that some drivers disable on purpose rain drops to avoid having rain on their windshield. It gaves an unfair advantage and no wipers mouvement on exteriors cameras (weird on live broadcast). Could we have a workaround, like static rain texture appearing on the windshield for this case?

And as mentionned on other posts, I would love to see punctures implemented... :)
    Thanks for these interesting blogs!

Akela_DE and Woodee like this.
  7. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Are there any plans to allow the option for cars to have an adjustable Weight-Jacker while on track? Something similar to how the anti roll bars and brake balance work with assignable buttons. This would add to the immersion of IndyCars new and old.

atomed likes this.
  8. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

Hi and thanks for this kind of interaction with us. What's your statement about onboard adjustable differential lock? Would it be so hard to implement that would be months-years away, in case it's planned to be added?

9. lagg

lagg Registered

Is it planned to implement KERS and hybrid technologies?
    Thanks.

10. philman

philman Registered

I too have some questions about the cars:

Do you intend, in a general way, to improve the overall sounds and sound effects in RF2?
    In particular:
    -When are you going to implement the "scrub" function in the "SKID SOUNDS" part as well as the temperature effect on the brake hiss? (See my post "tires sounds")
    -Do you intend to make the echo and reverberation of sounds appear according to the configuration and topology of the circuits?
    -are you thinking of implementing the sound of the windshield wipers

The last builds have made huge progress in RF2 in terms of headlight and headlamp reflection on wet roads, even if everything is not perfect yet. Do you think it's possible to improve this subject and to extend it to dry tracks ? Also, the power of the headlights of the cars at night seems to be really too low compared to the reality: is it also possible to improve things?

Is it possible to publish the tgm files of the tires of the GT3, GTE and LMP2 cars?

Joe Vogt, pkelly and r00b Driver like this.
  11. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

In reaction to the blog "Our physics model can have several parts breaking off already and those affect the car’s handling". How come newer cars are less likely to get race ending damage than older ones? O good example is the March vs the McLaren with the classic f1 cars. At the beginning of the comp system, I drove the March and others drove the McLaren in the classic series. At Longford I just touched a haybale at low speed, and instantly lost my right rear wheel ending my race. Then in another race (same settings) a McLaren crashed into the fence at high speed, flipped 10 times, ended up on all 4s again, and only had a bent suspension. How come that newer made cars by S397 are so much tougher at high speed crashes than older ones? Is this just lack of interest in it, or do you actually think that cars should be this tough?

12. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

What's about PTP?

13. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Questions:

1) Will the Porsche GTE receive an update as the interior is no where near the level of the Ferrari GTE.

2) Do you intend to improve the sounds of the cars? You only have to play ACC or R3E to know how better sounds increase immersion.

14. Ralffan

Ralffan Registered

Do you plan to implement a downshift protection that doesn't allow to downshift if the revolutions are high?

I also have the question about implementing a hybrid system, but I see someone has already asked this question.

memoNo1, lagg and r00b Driver like this.
  15. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

these studios should first start updating their tracks to the last PBR, before working for s397....and if the result is nice, why not after.

About the graphics,
    - is a night PBR update planified, about the car reflection by night, it's not really beauty, and with the lights, it's not at the ACC level at all, even AMS2 is far more beauty, the night immersion needs a really long work.
    - smoke update ? I think yes, with dust particles...
    - are 3d grass + flowers planified ? I like the AMS2 grass (and trees).

About the tracks, you release more cars than tracks, maybe can you put more ressources on the tracks team maker ?

About the AI update ? we arrive soon at 1 year after the UI update release....do you have plans for the AI update ? or maybe you can start with a AI selection feature, it's still a nightmare to choose the AI liveries.

Joe Vogt likes this.
  16. Connor Clifford

Connor Clifford Registered

Really loving rF2 especially recently. One question I have had is that would you guys be able to create an option to be able to turn the virtual car dash display on or off, so for anyone with a real life display mounted to their rig, can drive using their dash only and without the one on the screen. Maybe saves a tiny bit of fps too with the virtual car display screen hidden???? Anyway, thanks for your time.

17. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Hi @Paul Jeffrey ,

My questions for future blog :

1. If I count correctly, the cars made by S397 in the last 5 years are approximately 55 cars.
    When the improvement of the current tire model thanks to the GoodYear data is ripe enough, one of my greatest wishes for rFactor 2 is that all, yes all of these 55 S397 cars are updated to the tire model which is improve (FormulaPro, M4 class 1...).
    Is this something that can happen (that would be fabulous) ?

Besides, I want S397 to make some very realistic FWD and 4WD/AWD cars (upgrade the transmission for 4WDs), not a lot.

2.2 I dream of a very realistic "street car" (supercar) made by S397, just one, not 2 or 3 !! Can this happen ?

3. In addition, can you list the improvements and new functionality in the physics of the cars say in the 18 months, that would be great and of course that would not be a commitment but more evoke your projects in the matter.

Thank you so much.

pkelly and memoNo1 like this.
  18. Binny

Binny Guest

What about a rf2 paint booth for cars like iracing has ?

pkelly and yashiman like this.
  19. yashiman

yashiman Registered

Question.

1. Cold tires
    Now, I think almost rF2's tires has great grip on cold temp.
    Have you planned cold tires?
    I want to spin on 1st corner after pit out:D

2. Modding
    I think it seems that AC is easier to make car mods, and only AC mods are being made in Japan.
    The behavior of rF2 is great, so I don't think there is any need to twist this, but the spreadsheet may be too high level for all but the most experienced.
    Are there any plans to provide easier-to-build tools or a base vehicle for beginners?

3. Bug report form
    This is off the theme of "Car", If my remember is true, you mentioned in your CS blog or roadmap that you were going to create a "bug report form".
    Although the parent company has already changed and the structure is different, bug reports are still scattered around the forums and discord.
    Do you have plans to create a form yet?

The rFactor 2 blog is fantastic!
    Thank you.

20. DA-DIGGA

DA-DIGGA Registered

@S397, It would be nice to know which tracks and cars are on Studio's wish list or are planned. Always these half-cooked statements. We don´t have unlimited time for everything and we can concentrate on what does not appear officially. thanks