Competition System Blog | Week 21

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Many thanks, these have all been added to the list :)

For information, this upcoming blog post will be the last one in which we badge it up as "Competition System". Going forward, we intend to announce a 'theme' for the coming blog, which will be on a number of different topics outside of just the CS, with the intention of broadening the scope of potential questions, and hopefully allow is a good vehicle in which to absorb and answer a wide range of questions about the sim from the community.

Looking forward to it personally, it should hopefully be a nice opportunity to cover off some of the more pressing questions / concerns / suggestions from you all :) !

bears, leseb64, TJones and 7 others like this.
  2. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Finally! Good news!

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Great, I can see it now....
    THIS WEEK'S TOPIC: TIRE TECHNOLOGY
    response: When are you going to upgrade the graphics?

4. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

lol that made me laugh out loud!

pkelly likes this.
  5. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Imagine an AI and physics themed blog !

6. GAETAN.VALERO

GAETAN.VALERO Registered

Hello,

I would like to know if you are in the process of making new displays for the game.
    -Like the black box (in game) Standing, relative and race information (in menu) circuit information, outside temperature, track temperature.

- Example: on iracing the black box and super readable and above all easy to handle.
    - I know that we often compare with the iracing but despite their physique and very far behind the others and really great, there is a ton of information before starting the race.
    ---------------------------

PS: To continue like this you have the best physics of the circuit and the car, it just lacks the daily competitions and a lot of information.

7. Rubén Colmenar Sánchez

Rubén Colmenar Sánchez Registered

A daily CS race every thirty minutes would be great. For exemple: tattus F3/F4, usf2000, alpine cup. Q 10 min and R 15 min. Just race. That's what people want. We enjoy rFactor2 but we need races and have fun, not only competing, but racing just for fun with people as well. Why aren't there any set up servers yet?

8. Yoann Kerjean

Yoann Kerjean Registered

Will the AMG GT3 be reworked at some point? Last two seasons of GT challenge have been shared between most mid/rear engined cars and the bentleys, but the C7r and m6 disapeared from the top, the radical is where we expect it to be and the AMG drives like a lawnmower. I also learned that there is a GT3 Aston-Martin in rF2???? Alsabti and Jajovski prefered the radical over it, which means a lot.

And is it also planned to make the front engined GT3s relevant in wet conditions?

9. L0P3X

L0P3X Registered

Will it be like a "Q&A with Devs" thing? Just a general Q&A, I like the idea of focusing on a single theme per week/bi-weekly but I don't feel that it will be the best option for this, people will always have questions that on match with the certain theme of the week :oops:

10. GAETAN.VALERO

GAETAN.VALERO Registered

Hello,
    A lot of people are waiting for you on multiplayer,

My question for the blog:

- Are you going to do a multiplayer as Complete as it is iracing?

Explications: With daily lessons in several different competitions, with a way forward like the Safety Rating and IRating of your competitor ?.

Thank you.

11. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Yes that's the sort of thing we are planning - basically it will be bi-weekly (same dates as the Competition System blog), and on each release, we will have the questions answered from the previous two weeks, and announce the topic for the next two-week cycle. Of course, sometimes these won't match the topic that some people want to talk about, but it's the most sensible way of keeping this ordered and making it a useful archive resource of knowledge and reference going forward.

12. Spyro

Spyro Registered

As it will be the last CS blog related, I got a nice last question for it: :)

It has been 10 months since the first public release of the Competition System. Where are we currently, regarding your planning and your wishes? Did you manage to do everything you wanted (and on time) ? Are we still far from the end of the beta, or are we "almost" ready to officially launch the V1.0 of the System in the next months ?

13. Diego Barjollo

Diego Barjollo Registered

Obviously, we have discussions about potentially creating rFactor 3 and if we do, how we would go about that. To me, this is mostly a marketing discussion though, and I’ll explain that a bit. When creating a new product, we in theory have the option to start from scratch, taking all the lessons learned to build a completely new product. Let’s estimate that our current product is the result of roughly 150 man-years of work (it’s probably a lot more to be honest) and that if you rebuild that you only spend half that time, it’s still a lot of work. And you will make new mistakes along the way. So if the new product is basically similar to the old, the other and in my opinion better option is to keep the existing code and extend or replace certain parts. Doing this can be done incrementally. You can then still decide to at some point call this updated product rFactor 3, and you see other studios do something similar. The new product will probably sell more copies, but there are also extra costs, such as relicensing certain content. To be fair, the competition system integration with the existing product was not that hard, and I am confident that what has been built can be used for future titles too.

I think I will rephrase this question for the future blog. I want to be more focused on everything else that is on the to-do list. Thank you very much for the reply!