Driver Names / Vehicle Labels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BirnenRubber, Aug 23, 2021.

1. BirnenRubber

BirnenRubber Registered

Hello,

I can't figure out how to get driver names above cars during a race. Do they show up in offline AI racing? I have the key "vehicle labels" bound to a button on my steering wheel, and also I've tried using the default tab button with no success. Turning on/off all huds and overlays does nothing.

It's helpful for rolling starts to see if I'm in the correct position without checking the relative. Any suggestions?

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

They we’re taken out around the time of VR implementation and are on S397’s list to be put back. When that is, heaven knows.

juanchioooo likes this.
  3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Plain truth .... to know when San Pedro lowers his finger and fixes it;)

4. brutulus

brutulus Registered

Still nothing ? That's unbelievable.

juanchioooo likes this.
  5. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Nope, these are not on the list to bring back any time soon. If and when we do bring these back, they will be done so in a way that makes them more practical and visually appealing to use - however, this isn't something that is on the short term agenda for development. Would suggest using the HUD or a SimHub overlay for relative positions in the interim, if you really need to access this type of functionality immediately.

Many thanks,

Paul

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  6. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

a pity that this is not on the list, because using simhub consumes a lot of resources, .... people who have a mid-range pc ... will be delighted:(:confused::cool:

yashiman likes this.
  7. yashiman

yashiman Registered

Its big problem in endurance.
    Please return to the previous state as soon as possible.
    I'm in a lot of trouble.

8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Driver label are pure shit for a simulator
    They kill the immersion

9. lagg

lagg Registered

The option to disable the labels existed too

avenger82, Felipe Granado and Mauro like this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There is absolutely no way they can revert. It would tear apart all the work they have done for the past 5 years. What they NEED to do, and quickly, is find a way for these onscreen overlays like the driver ID and pedal movements. They need a relative standings display so you can see who is around you, not who is placed in the standings order ahead of you and behind you. But going back to the old way? Will not and cannot happen.

11. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

labels are essential, but you can always disable them, in fact they were disabled;)

12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

It is not true, it can be done, but they do not want to, .... it does not detract from all the work done, only the new interface, which is also the worst that studio397 has done, along with the 400 things that they have stopped fixing , but one thing is (to be able to do), and quite another is (to want to do)

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I can build a road anywhere but if it doesn't go anywhere, the road is useless. If they revert far enough back to recover the overlays then all the shader work will suffer.
    I'm not disagreeing with the need for labels etc, but rather the method. They must move forward and include labels, not go backwards to a version no longer compatible with their slowwww progress.

14. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

it's ridiculous ... what does the new shaders have to do with the new interface?
    The new interface is slower than the previous interface, that is, the old one, besides today it still has more bugs than the old one ... better not say more nonsense, man, you look ridiculous,
    I repeat, one thing is that they do not want to, and they are the ones who decide, and quite another that they cannot,
    the competition system has been the priority and is still very mediocre, but none of this has to do with the shaders ...

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry Dave, but there's no truth to this. ASSumption :p

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

the truth is, they are committed to the new UI, There is no going back, whether technically or just stubborness on their part. But, in my A$$defense...they did say they could not achieve the comp system etc without the new UI. So I probably latched on that and kept it tucked away somewhere. My last line is still solid, they cannot go back, because that would invalidate their entire business plan.

17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Going back has nothing to do with putting driver labels on cars. That's the link you're making for no reason.

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The post I was responding to, from a non-english speaker it appeared to me, was to RETURN(go back, revert,) to the previous method of
    displaying labels on screen. I wanted to clarify that going back to a previous version is just not a do-able solution. I DO want labels, I DO want pedal inputs & relative scoring, but I want those in the form of a solution via the UI that S397 has banked it's lively-hood on. I do not want to go backwards, and return to a previous version and I wanted the poster to understand they would not go backwards in the development of the sim. So the label issue was the concern of @yashiman, my 'attempt' at stating S397 would not go backwards for that issue was not based on technical limitations,(well, not entirely, I'll give you that) but the direction of the company. Look forward, require forward solutions, that's all.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davehenrie that's not how I read it in a thread dedicated to labels (rather than graphics as a whole), but I'm happy to let it go as different viewpoints.

Paul, is this a semi-official update/statement? I ask because development generally isn't exactly laid out for users (we don't know what's on any list, basically, and certainly don't have an order or timeline), so the tidbits we do get we tend to latch onto.

This was 9 months ago:

upload_2021-9-16_17-14-0.png

Labels themselves aren't a critical aspect of the game as a whole (despite them obviously being something some people have relied on in certain scenarios in the past), so I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill here. I'll take this sort of delay/change into account in waiting around for features if this is an actual update on this particular issue though.

davehenrie likes this.