Tyre pressures and temps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ENGLISH_52, Apr 22, 2021.

1. vava74

vava74 Registered

lol... Ermin gets a ton of stuff wrong on his videos AND mixes completely different things in a shit salad. Sure, rF2's physics need improvements and tyre temperatures, loss/gain of grip, degradation, interaction with track temp are all things that need to be addressed, but Ermin made a mess out of it.
    All sims have loopholes and issues with the physics. ALL, including ACC which deals with tyres in a very scientific manner, but also in a "sterile", non communicative manner as your loss of gain of performance is not translated in driving feel and a really believable change of car behaviour.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Rui Santos likes this.
  2. vava74

vava74 Registered

If we are supposed to focus on rF2, why do you finish by bringing ACC to the fray again? All discussions have to be made with comparison points.
    My view is that rF2 conveys to me, as a driver, much better what the car is doing. And that is what I am interested into.
    I don't care about physics to THAT point if they make no difference on how I feel the car behaving. I don't drive on rF2 to look at spreadsheets trying to understand what is happening to the car. It's my preference to do it by feeling and seeing how the car handles and there rF2 is second to none.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can't eat your cake and have it still.

People will compare to other games, albeit often with more than a little assumption ("oh, rF2 doesn't do that, sure, but the physics run so much faster, so..."... uh-huh...), but it's all or nothing. If you don't want comparisons, don't look at what other games do better either ;)

Roll aero - not exactly been missed has it? Since 2005. It could give improvements if done properly, it's also another chance for mod makers to stuff something up. Which brings us to...
    Front wing height - yeah, it can be problematic, and its flexibility is limited. But as part of an overall simplified aero model, it's holding its own.

Something I'd personally consider more fundamental, as an example, given that we had the FISI2012 and Marussia early on and now a new Formula car - plus other open wheelers - is brake temp bleeding into wheels and tyres. That actually makes a noticeable difference behind the wheel, and it's not there.

Emery, David O'Reilly and Sim_Player like this.
  4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Ermin is right when he says that the priority for rF2 should be fixing those annoying problems, i don't know and it's unbeliavable how those issues like track, tire, tire/spread temperatures and aerodynamics can be broken for so long...

MotherDawg, Pawel44, Lars and 2 others like this.
  5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Definitely the feeling and handling on rF2 are great, no doubt about that, but when setting up a car, we're completely blind... In a sim that has dynamic racing line and tires don't need to be set accordingly with temperature is something that blows my mind...

MotherDawg, Pawel44, Lars and 2 others like this.
  6. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Hi David,
    I don't come to the S397 forums often as S397 have locked some of my other threads for no reasons. There were no flaming or anything... just the core users telling S397 they suck... but hey, impressive, this thread hasn't been locked. Today I'm here to asked them haven't they fixed the thing they broke: Check your Controller.JSON, at the bottom (line 1508), in the last section: "PlayerFileOverrides", there is a new value in the "Exaggerate Yaw" of -0.8. Even if you set it to zero in the game, you will still have view point yaw. It seems it comes back each time you load a wheel profile.

Also make sure it's at zero in the Player.JSON too (line 380).

So to answer the topic's question, yes. I run in a league and race online usually twice a week and run my qualy setups with -0.5 camber and 15psi... I sometime top the chart... in practice as my qualy psyc... sucks. :(
    I run a bit more camber with a few more pounds during the race as it helps make the tire last longer as it heats up a little less.

---

Who wants to bet ?
    In the next S397 update, there will be more eye candy, the pressures and the cambers of the tire model will still be broken, the Exaggerated Yaw wont be fixed and they'll have broken something else.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's less likely than you coming and repeating or stating things as fact without any evidence or willingness to discuss details. Your posts are becoming background noise.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Every time they update, they break 3 things, they fix another three and they stop fixing ten more, that's obvious ... I'm not going to go into what the colleague says or stops saying, I don't follow him, but what I said is A proven fact, I do not think about what they do next time, but the past is just as I have commented

the tire and the pressures that had to be the first priority are still broken ......... and how many years have passed ....... and it continues

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Pawel44 and MotherDawg like this.
  9. Binny

Binny Guest

I like getting new things in updates but would like to hear more on what has been broken if its going to be fixed will it be re implemented ect.. As for issues everyone knows have been around for a long period i would just like some honesty & transparency on when these issues will be addressed, lets hope with them employing new staff the sim moves a lot more quickly in these areas of concern by the users.

juanchioooo and MotherDawg like this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

They have BEEN very open and transparent. NOTHING gets fixed til after the CS and UI are completely sorted. That has been known for several years and nothing seems to have changed that would alter that plan. I too hope the new jobs can equal many many fixes.

Binny likes this.
  11. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Lazza, you're a good guy... wake up!
    You know as well as I do that S397 broke the tire model, the staple of rF2, and they don't care.

Pawel44 likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's not the point! You can't go making (or repeatedly pasting) claims without any proof, and then don't even bother answering posts (like David's in this very thread) indicating evidence to the contrary.

13. Binny

Binny Guest

Pawel44 likes this.
  14. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Can I ask what car and what type of league is this? (Front or RWD, GT cars, Open wheelers, Oval racing circuit racing?).
    Give us an example of your front and rear camber in a quali and race setup? That will help more than " a bit more camber".
    Better still if you can share both quali and race your setups. I will test them.

15. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Just saw your post,

Personally, I run on CMSracinge so WSC 1971 series running the Alfa 33TT. An LMH / GTE series running the 911RSR and a GT1 Series running the Ford GT. They are all 3rd party content except the GTEs which are S397.

Like I've been posting, use the car you want on the track you want. Do all the laps you want, setting it up to have nice even temperatures.
    Then remove half the pressures and most of the camber. Go out again. Small track, you'll run a second quicker. Spa... 2 second quicker.

The 911 RSR I'm presently running:

Attached Files:

16. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Thank you @MotherDawg for sharing your setup.

As the conversation is mainly about cambers and the argument that minimum cambers is faster I used a short oval (Nazareth) for a quick test. I know this car well as we did VEC last season in it.
    Nazareth is excellent for testing lateral grip and mid corner balance.

I ran a few laps with your setup. Then I ran again to get my best lap time. It was 25.205 sec
    Your front camber BTW at -2.2 is not at minimum, that surprised me, minimum is -1.8 deg.

Then I simply increased front negative camber to -2.5 and ran some laps. My fastest lap was 24.809.
    Front grip was better.
    That's 0.4 sec on a 25 second lap.

So I have to say that this quick test did not support the thesis that lower camber is faster or that camber doesn't not work as it should
    Thanks

Nieubermesch likes this.
  17. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Your welcome!

It actually depends on the tire used. Difficult to say which is more susceptible but some mods are more affected than others.

The NARS at CMSracing presently runs a short series to finish the season, we use SMMG F3 mod. The tire model it uses seems to be less affected. To a point that at the minimum, the car is twitchy. It needs camber to behave. But tire pressures are at the minimum the mod allows.

In your test, I do not know about ovals, only road racing... well the league will run a big SC2018X series in 2022. So I don't know how it relates to ovals. The other series we run; Apex WSC 71 mod and Outl@w GT1... next to now camber and lowest pressure possible is the way to go.