Latest Roadmap Update - July 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 30, 2021.

1. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

yes,
    About Tatuus :
    "Watch out for the update to drop early in the new month…. "

About new PBR track :
    "so we will save that one for a reveal post later this month… "

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Perhaps the graphics are not being utilized to the max because the physics load requires too much cpu time.??

3. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Sound like an excuse to me, I mean graphic card at 60% due to physics? We are on 64 bit era and more than 4 cores, while rF2 is optimized for 2 only...come on...

4. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Excuse for what? That's literally how it works. It's either the CPU or GPU that limits it. It's also not as easy as saying "this part will now run on that core". Do remember that this is a game from 2013. I still am from the opinion that am rf3 that utilizes modern tech makes a lot of sense

5. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

So the Tatuus update is a bit late and the reveal post could be any time this month. And licensing always causes problems especially given we are in the holiday season in Europe. The wrong person takes a two week holiday and it stops a project.

6. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Yeah I know and that is my point until now, rF2 is stuck to 2013 tech and needs to evolve in a way or another because you can't patch it forever specially if results (with all the huge efforts from S398) are like the actual ones.
    Btw all IMO so it is just my opinion and doesn't mean it is correct but I suspect I am not the only one thinking that.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    F1Aussie likes this.
  7. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Well, it might not be the CPU or GPU that are the bottleneck. It could be the PCI bus between them. We know that from prior tests on rF2, a PCIe 2 bus got saturated, and the PCIe 3 bus almost was as well, and they've done work to stop there being a need to communicate large amounts of data between the two in the past. (I'd note, my particular PC has a PCIe 3 bus but its only implemented x8 and not x16 between the CPU and GPU, hence hardware limited). iRacing used to generate their shadows on the CPU, holding enough 3D geometry to do so. The shadows were perfect - almost no aliasing, no jaggies like you see on the shadow maps techniques almost all games now employ (all done on GPU). But, it saturated the bus that much, they changed their approach.

But for sure, 60% GPU usage seems low. I have to tune ACC on mine to turn on as much eye-candy as I can and keep it below 100% or I get awful stuttering.

Further, we know there is much that can be done especially on DX12 with multithreading GPU calls. But as far as I am aware, there is no implementation of a a multithreaded physics engine, at least so far as consumer games. This means our sims can't make use of the 10, 12, 16, 18 cores properly, and we'll always be limited until someone writes a fully threaded physics core. There's some things that could be handed off to other cores, like sound processing, but most racing sims require the main core to run as fast as possible which is why you see people turn to 5GHz plus cores and overclocking.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Yeah, I guess because of the amount of work that has gone into t my rf2 and the gfx over the years there doesn't seem to be a perfect solution, would be compromises whatever is done.

9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Interesting, my pc runs all pcie 4. Like mentioned in another post, rF2 seems to be trapped in old tech and can't leverage all the modern hardwares power.

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I played LeMans yesterday too, and it definitely looked great ! I play with rain so much now, I love it. I also don't know if I nailed rain tires in my cars, or if it is just that visuals makes such a difference for driving sense too :D

Some of the improvements are global, I raced Le Grands Circuit mod as well, and obviously it also benefits of many of improvements. I can't get enough of shadows appearing and disappearing regarding lighting type, onboard autoexposure, godrays and SSR in the rain, it does a lot to me. Appearance of tracks drying and racing lines is so much more organic now too.

Yes unfortunately there are all sorts of quality levels across. But IMO it is better than having nothing. All that matters is that all official content would be updated, it would also be a beneficial for it to be highlighted, excluded from the rest. rF2 already has this functionality of "All tracks, all cars" and so... it would be nice to have content grouped in "folders" fashion and separated for tracks and cars. Official cars, official tracks, mod cars, mod tracks, and then perhaps even get make it possible to do custom folders. Would be great to have small pre-launcher to choose it, perhaps bring back such comfy way to launch dev mode too. IIRIC not launching "all cars all tracks" makes new UI a lot faster to open, otherwise it is painfully slow sometimes, painfully.

pkelly, F1Aussie and memoNo1 like this.
  11. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Yep, this sounds good to me.
    Hopefully.

And very important, an option to finally choose your opponents easily in the UI.

12. Filip

Filip Registered

Official vs mod separation is not enough for me.
    I need content separated by type/class/speed/year/length...

13. Emery

Emery Registered

Package it the way you want and skip using All Tracks & Cars. As a side benefit, rF2 will load faster.

pkelly likes this.
  14. Filip

Filip Registered

But that requires repackaging for each added content, right?
    What if mod gets updated on Steam, do I need to repeat the procedure or it gets updated automatically in all the packages I created that contain the mod?

15. RoWo

RoWo Member

You can/must do it again, and again, and again ...

Emery and memoNo1 like this.
  16. Filip

Filip Registered

Then it's not suitable for my usage.
    I want to have updates.
    I own hundreds of mods and not planning to do stuff manually.

17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

And this sucks...

pkelly and B. Gant like this.
  18. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

Wasn’t there supposed to be a new dlc car announced and a new safety car?

Franck likes this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There is Time, and then there is rFactor 2 Time. The Safety Car at least HAS been announced, another Vette. Plus there are also supposed to be more updates to the Formula Pro. The betting money on the DLC is the GT3 variant of the new BMW M4.

20. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

... and revised tires for the Tatuus' (Tatii??) and a fix for the 30% fps loss when you position your mouse over the replay controls or position banner ...

Or anything really.

We know why, of course, but S397 prefer not to say it seems. Virtual LeMans esports series. I suspect they'll be running that on a private build for just the participants, but they are likely doing all the paints and such to support that. Plus whatever the MSG CEO committed to for an IndyCar esports event.