Latest Roadmap Update - July 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 30, 2021.

1. sg333

sg333 Registered

Congrats on making the most 'fanboy' post on the entire forum

2. Magus

Magus Registered

This has become the most frustrating issue I have with rF2 at the moment. Every now and again a 'solution' comes to mind, I fire it up and same thing. I run VR so racing with AI has become unplayable for me as constanty frames will drop, frametimes are high & GPU won't shift beyond 63% usage. On paper it looks like my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU but I find that hard to diigest, a 9900K at 5GHz.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Just to make a note, in screenshot I have made there, it is not the best clouds in game now. I also find them a little odd, but good enough to me, and I don't remember sky like that there before. The screenshot also is taken at mod track, in unusual location. I don't know how sky works in rF2,personally I found skies quite awesome in Silverstone and Nordschleife.

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Don't need to, we all know it drives well, possibly the best in all sims. Always has. I am not new to rf2, had it for around 9 years and it was always it's subpar gfx that eventually drove me away from it. Driving physics can only carry it so far. For example the F1 series are massively popular but it isn't because of is physics.

r00b Driver likes this.
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Yes agree, it seems having the newest shiniest hardware seems a bit pointless if it can't be used to its fullest. I know this has been an issue for me for years in this title, not sure why, in replays it pushes the GPU but not while racing.

6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Its almost like they need some volume to them and a little bit of shape or definition. What I saw in game almost looked like the sky had been smeared with vaseline. At least they are trying to push the game forward in this department though.

7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The problem is that the cloud system needs a total revamp at some point, wich is alot of work. Weather simulation is a very complex topic in itself. iRacing has nailed it from my perspective and their clouds fit their different weather scenarios much better. Their trick is to use cumulus clouds and scale their size and coverage which works extremely well from nice weather to heavy overacast settings. I think it is a bit too much to ask S397 for something like the weather system in Madness Engine, as the foundation of that was developed with completely different budgets, but all we have seen so far when it comes to improving the cloud system in rF2 are bandaids. I think they increased the texture size of the clouds and their rendering a bit but that's not solving the issue that we have completely wrong cloud formations with overcast/rain or even thunderstorm settings. I don't know how you guys feel about it but thunderstorms in rF2 aren't what I would relate to as being thunderstorms. But clouds are just a part of the issue. I've been saying it for years now, but this sim needs wind, fog, lightning effects, ambient and track temps to be really what it is advertized as - aka the most dynamic racing simulation. Once iRacing ships their rain feature, that title is gone. And it would be stupid to think that it won't be well done.

F1Aussie likes this.
  8. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Unless rF2 switch all of sudden to new graphic engine...

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Am I the only one who thinks it looks rather awesome as it is now ? Perhaps not every screenshot and replay sells rF2 looks properly, but I have seen a lot nicer than usual screenshots lately, some of them are very nice. And as I was playing myself I was certainly very happy about visual immersion and proper aesthetics are building up too.

vava74 and pkelly like this.
  10. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The visual quality is very good in some areas, some still need work. The clouds for example stand out so much compared to the rest of the image as the sky is still taking a relatively big part of the image. That said, I don't think that moving to a new graphics engine would solve any of the current drawbacks. People underestimate how much advantages there are if you have your own engine in your own hands and aren't dependend on 3rd party developers. VR support in ACC is a good example of this. Kunos can't just make a phone call to epic and say we need feature XYZ.

11. Filip

Filip Registered

...if you are able to utilize those advantages.

12. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Yes I could imagine it is a massive job to implement it correctly visually and then have it affect the track surface in real time and change with weather conditions as well.

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Do you know something we don't?......

14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I was pleasantly surprised by how good lemans looked and the car exteriors. I guess the issue is that there is so much inconsistency between official tracks, isi tracks and mod tracks.

mantasisg likes this.
  15. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I think the current engine has the potential to be graphically good enough compared to other sims but the amount of time it takes to progress to that standard is in my opinion what makes rf2 suffer from a graphical perspective.

16. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Sadly not, was a reply to posts above mine...
    We know rF2 physics can be applied to different graphics engines (like UE5 for upcoming titles) so I think the only ways to please users requests about graphics are:
    - totally rebuild the current graphic engine (which would mean a new one due the effort needed) and save the modding scene.
    - switch to UE5 (or another graphic engine) since we know is doable but would mean the end of modding.

But we know both option aren't going to happen so we will stick with a old patched engine which will be quite heavy even because not squeezing current hardware to maximum.

My concern with current engine isn't only related to "how beauty the game looks" but also to performances, I would stick with current one even if looking subpar compared to others if performances are good but no...those aren't...

Doesn't sound good...right?

17. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

no news about the new PBR track, USF2000, new licence, new car ?

18. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

There has been about the usf2000

19. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

yes but when ? it was announced early this month, news incoming, we are the 15th, and nothing. I guess september has to be massive with the new content, almost all the developpers will release the new games between september and december, it's the best period for the gaming sale.

20. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

The USF2000 from the update

“expect this one to go into testing in August with a view to getting it out into the public towards the end of the month “