Huge Frame drops in VR (Purple lag spikes) - unplayable on each setting with the Reverb G2 / 3080

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by TurboHenk, Jul 16, 2021.

1. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

I try to run rFactor 2 on my Reverb G2/3080/9700K@5ghz/16GB 3600 but this seem to be impossible for me.
    I tried every single tweak/setting that I could find on this forum and reddit. But it's impossible for me to get a 90FPS stable frame rate. Even with an average 40% GPU load and even less CPU load the game keeps having huge framedrops which makes it unplayable. The strange thing is, for 1 our of 10 times of the testing I can drive a few laps without a single framedrop but 9 out of 10 times there are huge "purple lag spikes" on the GPU part (tested with FPSvr and without). This in the same gaming session, just after I restart the race(when I thought that it was "fixed"); it happens again.

I tried the latest nVidia driver but also old drivers like version 456.71. I tried all possible settings/all player.json tweaks/pp off/low resolution/no msaa/cache delete etc. etc., but it even happens with everything on LOW and with very low resolution in steam (even with 30% steam resolution I keep getting framedrops). This while more demanding titles like ACC/AMS2 give 90FPS constant without a single framedrop on the same setup in VR.

Edit: I want to add that the frametimes are VERY low, ~4-5-6ms not higher then that but the lag spikes keep coming.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  2. tennenbaum

tennenbaum Registered

with my 3800, 5900, msi b550, nvidea driver 471.41 from 19.july 21 runs fine 90 Hz. …may be that helps to narrow down the cause.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  3. Magus

Magus Registered

I'm in a similar boat to @TurboHenk , GPU rarely goes beyon 70% usage, yet get drops in FRS and spikes in frametime consistently.
    Using Nividia drivers 471.11.

Just d/l 471.41 drivers, will try them and see if anything changes.

4. Magus

Magus Registered

Installed 471.41 drivers and did a race with FPro around Monza and same story, GPU averages around 60% usage (max it reached was 78% for 1 second), temps maxed at 65c, constant purple spikes and lots of stutter unfortunately.

5. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

I don't have much help to offer other than the Purple bar is physics/cpu limiting rather than graphics.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Is that 9700k overclocked? Try resetting to it's default clock speed..

7. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

The purple spikes are shown in the tool fpsVR and show dropped frames on GPU side although frametimes are low

8. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Right, sorry I thought you were referring to the RF2 debug bar, in that one green = graphics, purple = physics.

9. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

Hi there, I play since 2 or 3 month with the HP G2 now and these purple spikes are normal in rFactor 2 / nvidia 30xx cards. Ok, many times I don't have them now.
    I use the last driver now, 471.41
    Supersampling up to VR resolution, mean 50% witch is aout 5k gaming.
    no post effects in rFactor 2, 4xAA
    most of all detail in rFactor 2 on maximum (shadow blur off and shadow high, not Ultra)

Some tracks with opponents have these peakes, think not optimized older tracks.
    I have sometimes peakes in Oschersleben when some players on the track :-(

(I bought this for a alternative race sim) - In Automobilista 2 there's NO prob with framedrops, peaks or low fps.
    constant fps, up to track. playable with many oponents, human or AI. No prob.
    My fav race sim after rFactor 2 in VR !!! it's fantastic.

Andy Bonar likes this.
  10. tennenbaum

tennenbaum Registered

yes, purple spikes now and then, also partly often are normal, mostly without any noticable effects. i have that in most games, to a more or less extend.

11. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

Thank you all for the replies.

So I understand that his bug isn't on this "open bugs-to-fix-list" of Studio 397? That's a real shame because it is clearly a bug, this game is unplayable with the Reverb G2 / Nvidia 3xxx series atm. I run all other VR games flawless(AC/AMS2/ACC etc. 90fps 100% stable, not a single drop with high settings). This bug is reported several times in regular threads on this forum but it's never been acknowledged. Is it correct that this bug isn't going to be fixed? If so, why isn't it on the bugs-to-fix list?? Or is this bug being looked at?

@davehenrie: Thx, I tried that too.. (disabling OC on the CPU). Also the ram, I even underclocked it and tried all possible settings, but this doesn't change anything.

I was indeed referring to FPSvr. The GPU usage is ~40% with my current (very) low settings. But lag spikes (GPU related) keep happening.

@DJChrizz & @tennenbaum: I couldn't agree with that, for me the purple spikes ruin the whole VR experience. It's not "normal" to have such framedrops, they indeed don't happen in AMS2(and ACC/AC and many other non sim racing VR titles). It makes the game unplayble for me.

12. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Purple spikes are not normal. Orange spikes, because of frametime higher than 11.1 ms, are normal if a track/car is not well optimized.

I am suffering from this problem since i switched from a 1080ti, running with an older driver, to a 3090.

There´s an interesting thread for this problem: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/ It is woth reading the whole thread. There are presented many "solutions" for the problem but no one does work for me and some others.

As you can read there, the pink spike-problem seems to be introduced with driver 451.48. People with for example a 2080ti could check this. Running with a driver before 451.48 = no pink spikes, running with 451.48 or newer = pink spikes. Sadly with a 30xx card you could only use 451.48 or newer.

Nvidia confirmed that there is a problem with the driver and presented a fix after more than one year with driver 471.11. Sadly the fix does not work for so many people, so a solution is still not there. Read the last posts in this thread. There are also people which have pink spikes and as a consequence stuttering in AMS2 and Assetto Corsa (latest post). Also affected are many other games like HL Alyx, Elite Dangerous, Beat Saber, Skyrim VR and so on and so on....Pink spikes are also seen in SteamVR home. Read the thread.

I did some tests at the weekend. Did a race at Monza Junior with the new Tatuus F3 = zero pink spikes. Raced at Spa with the Formula One 2021 from Workshop = zero pink spikes. Run a race at Le Mans with GTE. Pink spikes at start (althought cpu and gpu frametime were solely green). Zero pink spikes on the track (gpu frametime around 7 ms) but every time i came to the start/finish lane there were a wall of pink spikes and massive stuttering - althought the frametimes were still green but higher (9 ms to 10 ms). This is still more than enough for rocksolid 90 fps.

Ordered also a Asus TUF 6900XT from Amazon and saw so far zero pink spikes - although on tracks which suffered massive problems with the 3090.

Levelup1, atomed and TurboHenk like this.
  13. svictor

svictor Registered

Hi, just to share a solution:

One of my friend is using VR with 3080, and having same random lag spikes as others.
    After trying various solutions, we found that by disabling GeForce Experience "IN-GAME OVERLAY" function in GeForce Experience settings, the 99.9% random lag spikes are gone.

14. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Thank you :) I haven´t installed GF Experience, so no solution for me :D

In the thread at the Nvidia forum there posted several guys a solution which work for them but not for most of the people. If a solution would be so easy then Nvidia had posted this long time ago instead of annoying so many people over more than a year

15. svictor

svictor Registered

Thanks for reply.

I've not said this is an easy solve issue, there are all kinds of situation and possibilities, and there are so many people couldn't solve it. It just happens that my friend had same hardware and have solved it, and it could potentially help others.
    ---------------------
    And in this case, one thing I could suggest is to install geforce experience, and disable overlay function, then test rf2 again.

I know this may sound crazy and seems no reason, and it is tiresome to try something that just seems none sense, but apparently it's one of the possible solution that haven't explored.

Also despite that GE overlay function seems to cause lag spikes and considered useless for VR (which was solved by disabling it as my friend did). It may not necessarily indicate that the whole geforce experience application won't actually help & fix the lag, as there may be a small chance that it has some unknown hide stuff that may improve & fix the issue. In the end, it would not hurt to give it a try.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Anyone think the techs at NV even KNOW what rF2 is? I remember a thread from years ago, before any of the RTX boards were sold, the thread stated NV depends upon the game devs to supply the code that would help the biggest games the most. I think the result of that was a-lot of small revisions that would help game A but not game X.
    In any event, even if there was a fixable issue for the dozens of VR users, unless the VR has Fortnite or some other monster hit name tied to it, I doubt you would see a specific fix for rF2.

Binny likes this.
  17. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

The issue seems to affect also other titles. Read also reports from HL Alyx, Skyrim VR, Asetto Corsa, iRacing, AMS2, Elite Dangerous aso. But as VR is a small and obscure niche so my hope for a final fix is low

@svictor Will try it. Thanks for helping

18. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

Not here. I run all other VR games flawlessly, only RF2 keeps lag spiking. This is the ONLY title.

It doesn't affect AC/AMS2/ACC here at all and even for the unsupported DR2 I found an solution. There is clearly a difference with RF2, it unfixable.

Binny likes this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

We always used to say Other titles dont have the physics engine running at a much higher rate. So we excused the spikes, the low fps as the price to pay for such fidelity.
    But we have seen all these graphic improvements slowly impact fps. So it is more than just intense physic calculations.

20. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

could you please post your solution? Very interested in this