Formula Vee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

That car needs some setup tweaks. It's a bit too understeery default. Mess around with that.

turtleCZ likes this.
  2. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Since we're on the subject of open wheelers and taking the next step up, I recommend trying the new Tatuus if you haven't already. It's very easy to drive at a half decent pace, yet a real challenge to drive fast. Awesome connection with the car when you learn how to push it. I'm finding the default setup awesome to drive, just need to slightly lower brake pressure.

atomed likes this.
  3. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Edgy but catchable :D:D:D

turtleCZ and mantasisg like this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I like your cellphone captured videos TBH, it somehow breaks the monotony of gameplay videos, while also somehow adding up some aesthetic, which I personally like.

Thats not just catched, you held it like pro drifter there, good driving. And in before it could be suggested that it is too easy, I think it might be very close to reality. My favorite part is at the end of slide you couldn't return perfectly smoothly, and had that tiny not harmful tankslapper. To my eye this is sign of good tire and aero physics as I often see in RL videos drivers including professionals not being able to return from such big slides perfectly smoothly, it is very common that steering isn't perfectly aligned to needed direction when rear tires regain grip. And the result is one or a few repeatable smaller catches and corrections. Anyways... in my opinion.

This looks so great, I want to drive this car there too right now LOL

Also I am afraid that "FFB from rear axle" and "more difficult doesn't mean more realistic" criminals could ultimately destroy anything like this happening in simracing...

green serpent likes this.
  5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Laziness has defined my current production value, and I'm okay with that :p

Cheers ;) I'm not saying I'm a driving God by any stretch, but yes as you said it'd be all too easy for a detractor to think that was too easy to control, but the reality is it takes quite a bit of practise and also feeling fully connected with the car. It's far from easy. But once you are feeling totally in control of the car you can do things which might come of as being "fake."

I am though getting slightly over the whole constantly comparing things to RL/other sims etc (though I will continue to do so and am kind of doing it right now lol). I want the cars to be as close as possible to RL, but only insofar as it gives me that pure feeling of actually driving the car. When I am really into rF2, I am really feeling connected to the car, it feels almost real to me. I have to create a certain mind set, but the game really helps, even things like the sound of the wind etc is quite immersive to me, I really feel the speed, it almost gives me a slight sense of fear If I am approaching a corner too fast. Though what I have noticed is that when I am very immersed and it feels real, I drive objectively slower than when it feels more like a game. Go figure. I don't really know intimately about physics, what exactly would happen in each situation in RL, but at time it feels totally real, and that is at least saying something.
    I've never really liked open wheelers but in rF2 they give me that sensation of feeling in control in real time and not only driving from reaction but from feel and anticipating what the car will do next.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It looked great, liked little correction in chicane at start of vid, then nice working with steering to control the slide. Looked like true and realistic and highly skillful driving, apart loosing rear to begin with :D

If all simulations worked that good and realistically in all times, and met my perceptions and expectations very well, I'd probably stop stressing about realism so much too, although it would always be interesting. Physics like one of new Tatuus + how rF2 works meets my personal "realistic enough" threshold. No need to stress much while at it, for sure. I believe I have highish threshold, many people are cool with way lower levels of realism, and some finds stuff unrealistic if certain factors become too demanding, which I guess is just natural disbelieve when something gets more challenging.

Speaking of challenging. I guess you right about this car, and I think it applies to many other actually realistically simulated cars. It is often quite a challenge for a first laps, especially if you start driving the car for the first time, like if you had already several hours experience with it. I find it extremely immersive and satisfying to start very slow, and gradually carefully increasing the pace once I am new with the car - you know, just like everybody would do in real life. And for sure once sufficient level of skill and experience with certain car is achieved, you somehow stop doing mistakes, or if you that good, with proper effort even can drive in relatively realistically crazy way, just like you took that last turn in Nurburgring with Tatuus.

P.S. every time I drive Fvee I usually do few slow increasingly fast laps with it, seems to help, and as mentioned feels very immersive then, as opposing going flat out immediately and crashing over and over again (which also doesn't happen once you get to know that car:D).

turtleCZ likes this.