Formula car era "love to see in the game"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Jul 9, 2021.

?

Formula car era "love to see in the game"?

1. 1930s

8.2%
  2. 1940s

4.9%
  3. 1950s

11.5%
  4. 1960s

24.6%
  5. 1970s

32.8%
  6. 1980s

37.7%
  7. 1990s

37.7%
  8. 2000s

26.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I personally feel simracing is a great way to archive automotive technology that are either not running anymore or too expensive to run now.

I'm of the opinion that a car or track doesn't need to be present day to be relevant. No such thing as a sim car being "out of date" because it doesn't race anymore.

There are no wrong answers and all votes are valid. Just as long as you respect others opinions and the personal reasons for them.

We are all different and love a certain era of formula cars for different reasons. Whether it be because of a favourite team/driver. Or perhaps it's the memory of something particular that happened in that era that is so ingrained in your upbringing.

Not many of us will ever get to race these cars for real, so having a virtual version is the next best thing.

dylbie, The Iron Wolf and Sim_Player like this.
  2. Antonio Giovani Dias

Antonio Giovani Dias Registered

In my opinion, the best era of formula 1 was from 1975 to 1995.

Bill Worrel likes this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think late 30s and then 1950-1967 are most interesting eras of F1 and open wheeler race cars in general. But I am interested a lot in everything that is before 2000s.

4. jymp

jymp Registered

75' thru 80'

dradecki likes this.
  5. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

None, f1 cars are overrated. Lmh, hell yes. Finally a full lemans field

MiguelVallejo likes this.
  6. MiguelVallejo

MiguelVallejo Registered

My fauvorite F1 era is Lmp900 from 2000

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

But thats what is interesting about old Formula Grand Prix cars. They were a lot more like normal cars, just with open wheels and single seat, no trunk. Those "bicycle" tires weren't as bad as it seems, they matched compounds and aerodynamics, that were similarly down to earth, or should I say "up" what talking about those days aero.

Those old F1 cars, may not have had such impressive laptimes, acceleration, cornering and braking numbers, but still they were very fast and it was a great spectacle to watch them combining with the style of tracks they raced. Being slower they were as exciting and more exciting at lower speeds, they didn't need chicanes, hairpins and 90deg turns designed for overtaking opportunities. The driving was more about subtle mastery of controls rather than lightning fast precision reflexes in supper tiny ranges of motion, the motions ranged so much more in those classic racers.

Another very interesting aspect of old formulas and racecars, they provides much greater step by step perspective of how things evolved, where it started and what steps were taken. Overall they gives much better understandign about cars in general, especially mechanically as little next to nothign was automatic and also there was no downforce, which for some is exciting, the driver influenced a ton more than today greatest of greats could influence the outcome of races.

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

But I am not trying to convince anyone to change their minds. For some reason there has always been some interest in 70s down to mid sixties, and then interest among simracers cuts dramatically off in anything that is older than that. I think there is a false understandign that tires of these days were slipping all over the place every time. They were actually alright. Also I suppose no downforce is also unappealing to many, but it is also ok, as long as aero is balanced, it is even more fun to get car behavign all sketchy over high speed turns and sudden crests, with downforce they might be just gforce providers that is unfelt in simracing.

Particularly interestign were 1957 to 1965, as evolution of cars was extremely rapid, and still wasn't about aerodynamics, and also slick tires didn't make it to racign yet. Tires in these years got better fast, Cooper influenced everyone to reconsider mid engine layouts, and drivers seating positions were lowered. First half of sixties IMO was very interesting due to smaller displacement engines that were used, which IMO made some very good racing, as it certainly put more on driving technique, keeping momentum going, and it still spun the tires.

9. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Looks like 70-90 is the most popular range, my vote included.

Too many gizmos in cars longer than half the SUV's on the market. On the flip side traditional H-Box shifters worth using haven't been developed yet, but thats not a subject for this topic. Then again, I don't mind running older cars with auotclutch off and paddles only. Hey its a sim, so why not?

Some find the 917 style cars to be more fun than the sterile GT3 cars as well. We actually have a pretty good range of cars at the moment.

pkelly likes this.
  10. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Pretty much anything pre-1975. No aero, crap tires and brakes and it's heaven.

Mauro and Woodee like this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Woodee won't like my comment because we disagreed on some stuff in the past :D

12. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

All I need is the Ferrari from 2004....beauty and fast, the older F1 are not sexy...in fact I like only v10 F1 without halo.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Diego Barjollo likes this.
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

With a nose stuck up in the air like some prissy socialite? Naw...go back young man. Go back to when V-12's screamed or V8's roared and had their noses properly planted to the ground like a bloodhound seeking the proper line....

14. lagg

lagg Registered

I'd like to see in the game a current F1 with hybrid tecnology

15. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

guess what is the most prefered : V10 ! I need this one, the F2004 and nothing else !

WorldSupercars
    Oh, dear V10, please come back!

Reddy T1D

Those accelerating V10s make me think of one word: Schumacher

Trojan Gaming

The V10 is unmatched, it really is the definition of F1 Sound

Todor Georgiev

For me the V10 is the best sounding engine ever.

Gonzalo C

0:31 I really miss that V10 roaring sound

clockner
    V10´s ..... you cant beat them . I wish V10 Area back so bad in f1 :( .

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

70's 80's and 90's....interesting :)

17. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

I guess you wouldn’t like to know that one of my favorite cars is the 2012 Sauber then :( upload_2021-8-5_11-38-54.jpeg
    On another note, I’m not a huge fan of the 70’s and before cars. By the 80’s they become really cool looking, and they have the turbo as well. Anything 80’s and beyond I’d be totally 100% satisfied with (if the mod is good). And since we already have 2010 and 2012 as a mod, 1994 would be the next one I would want to see a full grid with.

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think this was my first F1 sim. EA Sports something or other. You had a garage, some aero work, steering was via a mouse....
    I always admired Ken Tyrrell and all the innovation he brought to racing, UNTIL....that dag-blasted raised nose.....
    [​IMG]

mantasisg likes this.
  19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am actually opposite to @FORMULAEFAN71, the most interesting stuff IMO is before 80s. But there were plenty of great cars after that. Such as Ferrari 412 T2, I think it is absolutely fascinating car, I like it a lot because it obviously was very demanding car to drive as seen in videos Berger and Alesi struggled a lot taming that beast.

Makes me want trying to replicate that in sim. But I don't think I would be able to replicate that car, and I also probably shouldn't be able to handle it driven at full attack.

Niels did great job on Mclaren:

The problem with these cars is that if done realistically, they will absolutely make your brain swollen if truly driven up to the limits. For that reason I prefer 50s or early 60s, or even early 70s F1, because those were actually sane cars, and could be driven fast every day, wouldn't have to do meditation exercises before driving them :D

Nieubermesch and Sim_Player like this.
  20. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I think I saw a mod of that on the Workshop. No idea how good it is though.