[WIP] CART Factor

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by zerocool, Dec 13, 2014.

1. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

flex chassis and upgraded suspension already out on the track. The steering no doubt feels much improved. There was always a significant dead zone requiring higher Min FFB setting for some. I always cranked the castor to have that hard working feel too. Lots of work but promising so far.

Notice the lock on some specs I found. 360 degree turn and the steering wheels varied from 11 -13 inches. Can really see how little they turned the wheel watching cockpit cameras on the hairpin at long beach.

http://indymotorspeedway.com/v1/98vstech.htm
    Reynard 98I/Mercedes-Benz IC-108E data:
    Steering Type: Reynard rack and pinion
    Turns: 1 (lock to lock)
    Weight Dist: 41/59 (front/rear)
    Turbocharger: Allied Signal/Garrett
    Clutch: 4-plate diaphragm spring
    Shock Absorbers: Ohlins
    Wheels: BBS/Forged Magnesium
    Instruments: Pi
    Spark Plugs: Bosch

I hope most would agree that we would still want these amazing cars to be a handful to drive . (I am an old GPL fan too)

2. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

3. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Thanks diggerhawk, probably easier to do the Lola being one car and all. I just know the Reynard so well. Are you onto the Penskes next?

4. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I have been working on all the chassis but somehow the Penske's had been left behind, so I have been giving them my full attention. I would say they are now furthest ahead not including the Lola.

5. BeGee

BeGee Registered

Thanks for tagging me in on these messages :D I've admittedly fallen off since my first look, but with all the momentum you guys have it's pretty exciting to see progress happening, I'm all for it.

There is something off with the tires and how they compare with the AI. The the AMS mod has oval tires as mentioned, maybe they find it beneficial to have a separate compound for the ovals? I know very little about modifying the tires properly, especially for the player, so I'm hoping one of you guys can refine it.

6. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Thanks BeGee, multi compound is in play for sure.

7. David Short

David Short Registered

@DiggerHawk, @PatientRF2fan , @BeGee and everyone else that is providing help and their time in this thread and behind the scenes I can't thank you enough! For me this is the most exciting news and something I've been hoping for since I started playing rF2 late in 2017.
    Been following this thread like a hawk and watching the progress as you breath new life into this awesome era of NA open wheel racing and bring it up to todays standards. Also the prospects of an improved Toronto and Long Beach Indy as well as some other series tracks is amazing indeed.

I really appreciate all the time, effort and commitment a project like this takes. Hopefully everything pans out according to your plans and any required permission requests and in due time we can all enjoy your fantastic work.

Thanks again and Cheers:D

Flaux, BeGee, Eric Rowland and 2 others like this.
  8. L0P3X

L0P3X Registered

Apart of Graphic and Mesh updates, Toronto walls need a complete rework, that has been broken since rF1 days and somehow that is still a bug nowadays, same on tracks like St Pete, although on that one it's not a major issue.

Anyways, looking forward to race with this cars, amazing job :D

9. vava74

vava74 Registered

Incredible mod! Absolutely savage and, so far, undriveable for me, which is why it's soooooooo good. And in VR it's absolutely frightening!

10. vava74

vava74 Registered

lol! yes, it does: my skill level is on the putrid side, so when I find high horsepower mods which are easy to drive right off the bat, I walk away from them. On the other hand, if they are difficult - as they should and its difficulty abides to logic - I like them and try to improve myself by driving that challenging mod.

11. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

What? They have oval tyres why the hell would they have oval tyres that’s just………,,,ooooh. I see

DiggerHawk and USCTrojan4JC like this.
  12. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Update:
    Nice summer vacation, great break.
    So after reading and watching as much as possible.......

I have all four chassis converted to Flex
    I have added upgrades that include FFB strength / Semi Auto lift and blip or Auto lift manual blip downshift/
    Split mirrors / onboard ARB / pressure on the fly / body and suspension repairs
    Working on turbo engine and gears
    testing primary and wet tires
    Creating default setups with motec
    Once road package is closer I will shift into some oval action

Have been using the physics blog, ptools and looking at the physics spreadsheet (rather intimidating).
    Unfortunately this will be by feel as there is no real spec data to be found for this era.
    I have probably reached my peak of ability physics wise and will have to find a mentor on this forum.

There has been some encouraging improvement. The turbo testing has been interesting.

Tracks:
    My main focus was to re-mesh and add proper bumps from cockpit footage on these tracks.
    I will eventually pursue permissions to share but want the product to be clean before asking.
    I just keep going back into tracks as skills increase. Still using legacy shaders.
    Anyone want to help PM me. I would appreciate it so I can focus mainly on the mesh, bumps, lines curbs, walls, setup and AIW. Be great to learn from others

Long beach 98 new layout remeshed bumps and lines Doug offered to host but I want to clean it up first
    Belle Isle 98 remeshed bumps lines and billboard trees
    Surfers Paradise 98. remeshed bumps and lines

Midohio: re-meshed added bumps and lines
    Cleveland: resurfaced need bumps and paint
    Toronto: re-lofting track and walls then adding bumps, lines, adds
    Vancouver: re-lofting adding bumps and lines
    Road America; havent tried it enough to feel the bumps

Ovals
    I have a bunch loaded up in MAX and been working with the meshes

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    sg333, atomed, BeGee and 14 others like this.
  13. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Cleveland wow, did that mesh take a while...... what a weird corner T1.
    looking forward to making this the bumpiest track on the schedule. Drivers would be bruised for days after.
    1.5m mesh
    upload_2021-8-16_0-4-57.png

Original 2.5 x 6m mesh
    upload_2021-8-16_0-11-32.png
    Mario's boolean cut saved the day for these transitions
    upload_2021-8-16_0-6-43.png

original
    upload_2021-8-16_0-12-17.png

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Skua, atomed, Hazi and 10 others like this.
  14. BeGee

BeGee Registered

I wonder if we should shift CGRearSetting to something like 0 or 1 on default oval setups. Seems to be the only way to get the rear end to stick properly with the current tires. Newcomers wouldn't be so put-off by the oval performance if they didn't have to go searching for this setup tip.

15. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Indeed Begee,

I have been testing and learning more about modding the physics. Understand a lot of steering and suspension geometry now. Just learning how to work with the spread sheet ptool etc. These cars steering is not as tight at others when I compare them to formula NA 2018 and isi f2012. Once I get all the data into the spread sheet I will seek some counsel from some physics members. The spread sheet appears to be the proper way to truly solve geometry. Shows your KPI, scrub, cambers, caster and toes angles and takes the guess work out of tweaking.

Will have a sample out some time in sept that will have the ability to select different engines ffb transmissions etc in the upgrades for testing. Focused on road course first then ovals. I re-meshed Milwaukee for the second time and plan to use it as a short track tester.

Cleveland became a bigger project than i anticipated but it is re-meshed, and working on the bumps currently. 98 format is really just removing many track objects and adding a few new ones.

Belle Isle 98 is at tree and fans stage now.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    atomed, Eric Rowland, Skua and 3 others like this.
  16. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

atomed, Skua and USCTrojan4JC like this.
  17. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

Please forgive me if I have or someone else has mentioned it before, but would it be helpful to look at the CART Extreme mod for Automobilista files since it had updated physics over the original CART Factor mod for rFactor? Version 1.5 of it (1.501 is current) supposedly has turbo modeling as well.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/cart-extreme.10810/

PatientRF2fan likes this.
  18. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Thanks Trojan, I have those files. they have some relation to RF1 code for sure.

USCTrojan4JC likes this.
  19. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

There will be a Reynard Flex Chassis tester soon... and potentially a 98 track version to rip it up on!

upload_2021-9-7_4-17-0.png
    upload_2021-9-7_4-16-12.png
    upload_2021-9-7_4-19-14.png
    upload_2021-9-7_4-25-50.png

Attached Files:

atomed, vava74, USCTrojan4JC and 10 others like this.
  20. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

USCTrojan4JC, sg333, Corti and 3 others like this.