Double vision with Reverb G2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Seven Smiles, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

[EDIT: it fixed itself for me at least, see below]

I have just bought a G2 to replace my Rift and although it works 100% in other games I have double vision in rF2, e.g. where the opening page says race customize I see something like

Code:
    race customize
              race customize
    The two usually overlap vertically (that is, they are on the same line) to some extent so it reads something like

race customize customize

the vertical alignment varies as I move my head. I also notice there is no cursor. The loading screen is OK (I suspect that's only showing one eye) but in the garage I see two rev counters on the HUD side by side as well as everything else being doubled up. If I close one eye it's fine, the same when I close the other one. The HMD mirror is fine, and it has a cursor.

I've tried:
    1. Setting VR IPD Scale to 0.1, 0.4, 2.0, 5.0 instead of the default 1
    2. Setting VR Enable Hidden Area Mask false
    3. Setting VR Projection Mode to 1
    4. Creating a new player (and suffering new content being added!)
    None of that made any significant (or even noticeable) difference.

If I use my old Rift with the same configuration everything is fine. I found references to something similar in rF2 and other games when searching but a) no solution b) the symptoms are mainly not as extreme, more blurred vision than complete separate words.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    whale-tail likes this.
  2. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Have you set the IPD slider at the bottom of the G2 to the correct value?

3. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Yes, it’s fine for other games and anyway that just tweaks the picture, this problem is two completely separate views, as if I was severely cross-eyed.

I think the IPD slider is purely mechanical, like the Rift it just slides the displays closer together or further apart. I have it at max, I'll try it at min. [Edit] It made very little difference.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I found a few older reddit posts that say this 'fixed itself' with an update, or that reinstalling, formatting, other various things fixed it. Please make sure your G2 software is up-to-date. Other than that, try uninstalling Oculus software to make sure your old headset isn't conflicting in some way. You could also go into settings of any tools like steamvr and change a setting so it overwrites any old files with current data.

5. whale-tail

whale-tail Registered

Same issue here with me (https://forum.studio-397.com/index....s-after-headset-upgrade.69666/#post-1074759); I saw you commented there as well Seven Smiles. Same upgrade and everything. Double vision is a better way of putting it vs. what I tried to articulate.

I'm sorry you're having this issue too but I gotta say, it's comforting to not be alone anymore. At the very least, it likely isn't your specific machine or mine. Hopefully we will find a solution.

6. whale-tail

whale-tail Registered

I found some time to do more troubleshooting tonight. I completely reinstalled Steam and rF2 on a separate, non-OS drive, and this did not fix the issue (and in fact I had to spend some extra time getting rF2 re-configured, lol). I verified that all Oculus software and files were properly uninstalled, which they appear to have been.

In the rF2 startup graphics configuration, I set VR to "HMD Only" and "GPU" to "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti" instead of "Auto" ("NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti" is listed twice, but only the first one works; the second resulted in an error). This seems to have maybe been an improvement. Maybe. I've done so much launching and relaunching that I honestly can't tell anymore, but you can try this and see if it does anything for you. I also changed VRUIScale in \rFactor 2\UserData\Config_DX11 to (1.000, 1.000, 1.000) from the default (0.000, 0.000, 0.000) but this didn't seem to have any real effect, in fact it may have made things worse but as I said I can barely tell anymore.

Worth noting is that I reinstalled rF2 multiple times before on my original OS-shared drive and the defaults in Config_DX11 upon reinstallation then were different to what the defaults were when I just reinstalled rF2 on a different drive. Seems like reinstalling on a new drive may have had at least some effect?

This is my current Config_DX11: https://pastebin.com/YEu9Mhx2

If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears. If I can find the time at some point, I might just grab a spare SSD and try a completely fresh Windows 10, Steam, rF2, WMR, etc. installation just to see what happens. I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows to get a freaking video game working but if that's what it takes...

7. 88mphTim

Can you try removing that config_dx11.ini file somewhere else/delete it? It *should* completely reset your graphics options and you'll have to set them again.

8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I also uninstalled Oculus and rFactor, then renamed the rFactor folder so all the stuff that was left was effectively deleted (including the config.ini file). I re-installed, ran the graphics configuration (I too have two "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080" entries but only the first one works), ran rFactor and its set up wizard but it’s exactly the same. Strange that it’s only @whale-tail and me and that only rFactor has an error this extreme, other games I’ve read about with similar problems (in the past?) the error is a few degrees. (I will go through all the VR games I have but so far they’ve all been fine except ACC where I was getting extremely low FPS in the opening menu screen and quit immediately.)

I know nothing about programming VR but presumably an IPD figure is used to map the "world" to each eye, if that figure was way off it would result in the cross-eyed view we're getting? Is that figure logged in the trace?

Oh and welcome back Tim :)

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Interpupillary-Distance

10. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Thanks, I used an app to measure mine and got results around 70mm which is a little outside the G2's range of 60-68 but even if I set it to 60 in other games it's just a bit blurred rather than this complete cross-eyed thing that rFactor does.

I tried the other games I had, all working fine when they work (some games that worked with my Rift don't seem to like WMR, most oddly American Truck Sim works but Euro Truck Sim 2 (which is essentially the same game) doesn't, only runs 2D.

No sign of "IPD" in the log files I have.

11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Grabbing at straws now I thought of a possible factor - I have two monitors but then anyway I use the Windows DisplaySwitch command to turn one off before playing games.

12. whale-tail

whale-tail Registered

Changing the hardware IPD on my G2 didn't do anything for me either. The IPD is dialed in on every other sim that I use (AMS2 and AC mainly, but confirmed no issues in R3E, ACC, and DR2.0).

I will attempt to delete Config_DX11 and see what defaults it gives me this time around, and I will also try (time permitting) a complete fresh install of Windows just to see if it could possibly be something deep within my current Windows installation (I'm running latest W10 Pro btw, not sure if I mentioned that before).

I appreciate any other pointers

13. 88mphTim

Apart from deleting that ini and maybe the entire player folder I am stumped on where it might be storing data that override your VR settings. Unless it's something Steam itself stores as like a profile for rF2. I don't have a VR headset right now to test and check for changed files.

The easiest way to reinstall Steam without having to redownload all the games is to delete everything except steam.exe and the steamapps folder. Running steam.exe will reinstall steam, and the steamapps folder will still be used as the library location.

14. whale-tail

whale-tail Registered

I already tried reinstalling Steam using that method, to no avail :/

15. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I had a thought to try the old UI, it's possibly worse. I see

Code:
    EXIT             OPTIONS
                    EXIT             OPTIONS
    I see that the video driver version in the config tool is 0.00.00.00.....

And it's fixed! :) After doing that I reinstalled Steam as above, re-ran the config tool and it's OK

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  16. 88mphTim

Wait, what? That's great... :) What were your steps?

Is this something I can try to get the devs to fix on our end? Or is it something else? Help me understand as no VR headset for me right now... Thanks :)

17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

No idea sorry. Steps were
    1. Switch to old UI
    2. Run config
    3. Run game. Not working
    4. Delete everything except steamapps and steam.exe
    5. Run config, switch windowed to full screen to give it something to save
    6. Run rFactor (old UI). YAY!
    7. Switch back to new UI, it still works
    One relatively minor problem to solve: no cursor in the HMD, I have to use the mirror on the monitor (which has minimised itself) both with old and new UIs. I suspect that might not be rFactor's fault as it shouldn't be minimised by me putting the HMD on.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    whale-tail and 88mphTim like this.
  18. 88mphTim

Thanks very much. It sounds to me like it might be related to another bug with sound and the new UI. I will pass it on to people smarter than I to find out. Thanks for coming back with more info.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  19. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Del key to remove and reenable cursor - mapped in keybindings (or not mapped) - might be a solution for cursor problem - or with my HP R2 I have to switch between HMD and Monitor by pressing CTRL+Y back and forth to get cursor working again ....

Seven Smiles likes this.
  20. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Thanks, I’d forgotten about the Del key. Didn’t solve the problem though! Also I have twin cursors once I’ve switched to the monitor, only one of them does anything. Still to find why the HMD mirror minimises when I put the headset on, it doesn’t happen in other games.