Formula Vee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jun 14, 2021.

1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Sorry for being honest. That's my default reaction to people saying things like "in [my favorite sim] handling feels most natural". Unless you've driven same car IRL on and ideally, over the limit - you don't know if it's natural. Even such RL racing drivers' opinions often vary from it's almost like IRL to it's far from RL when describing same car in a sim. It's often when they go to very specifics then their opinion matters.
    IIRC the person said it felt too bumpy vs RL

And these two are usually not available to devs or available at basic level such as L/D ratio etc. Tire data even when it's provided is often not trustworthy as explained by Neils Heusinkveld and other devs. Edit: and in case of rF2, empirical curves from manufacturers are very hard to implement correctly to their physical model.

I told you, they are defined in your controller's .json file i.e.:

"Jolt magnitude":-2,
    “Jolt magnitude#”:“How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.”,
    “Off-road multiplier”:0.3,
    “Off-road multiplier#”:“Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)”,
    “Other spring coefficient”:0,
    “Other spring coefficient#”:“Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers”,
    “Other spring saturation”:0,
    “Other spring saturation#”:“Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers”,
    “Rumble strip magnitude”:0,
    “Rumble strip magnitude#”:“How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.”,
    “Rumble strip pull factor”:-1,
    “Rumble strip pull factor#”:“How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.”,
    “Rumble strip update thresh”:0,
    “Rumble strip update thresh#”:“Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)”,
    “Rumble strip wave type”:3,
    “Rumble strip wave type#”:“Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.”,

There are some canned effects:
    "Jolt ffb from hitting other cars and walls or armco. (Can be turned off.)

Also kerb push or pull effects. (Can be turned off)

Not sure about the grass/sand effects...

The road noise has some artificial bumps added as well to compensate for not laserscanning... but as stated, not a canned effect.
    "
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/rf2-canned-effects.58931/

The same could be said by iRacing or ACC fan.
    Don't want to derail the thread but check out Live Track 3.0. Also one example of a feature/gimmick that shows how deep PC2 simulation is: engine power depends on altitude. I don't want to derail the thread further so if you're interested please check out:
    https://www.trueachievements.com/n2...king-project-cars-2-with-slightly-mad-studios

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    GertjanD and TheMenace like this.
  2. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

What do you mean strange tire model? Their tire model is empirical and at least in 90% same as in AMS1. But which tire model is real?
    iRacing has unique tire model (not the best one).

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think we understand each other alright. You might be purely locked in your own narrative yourself, because you notice only arguments that supports your view, but blaming others for what you are guilty for is effective strategy, I have seen that in politics. The key thing right there ,and my argument was that Fvee that competes in Brazil and FVee that competes in Australia are different cars. I don't know, but in my mind this is very easy to understand, as well as it is very easy to notice how real car drives in Brazil series in available footage all over the net.

pkelly likes this.
  4. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

that's exactly what you do when you don't agree with us, we don't understand physics...
    what all devs say in general, rather than saying "with my knowledge and understanding of the software this is the best I can do".
    The iracing devs are the kings of this but how do they explain the evolution of the skip barber and other cars over the years? since the beginning it was in line with reality according to them...and it's the same for rf2,ams2,acc etc...

the rear drive train is very stable, only the understeer and the search for grip at the front is tricky, I will try to go as fast as in the video with the Vee on rf2 & ams2 (although on ams2 I'm sure it's more stable)

ApexModding and TheMenace like this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thank you for detailed reply.

1. First of all, I'd like to say that telling other party in a discussion that their opinion is worthless to you isn't best thing to do. I remain to my position that RL driver opinion is for sure valuable, but it isn't an ultimate thing and you shouldn't downplay pure knowledge and ability to notice things in other ways.

2. Great now, we have an opinion that RL driver thought something was too bumpy comparing to RL. Maybe he is correct, I don't know. If he is, it could be too stiff car, tires or road surface. It is much less likely to be core simulation issue, unless this pattern could be found with all vehicles, and all tracks, which I am sure it wouldn't, because I know you can make a car in rF2 that will float like a dream over most bumps at high speeds.

3. Yes indeed data might come harder perhaps, I don't know. But my idea wasn't about data acquiring and how easy it is to plug it in. It is about what simulation is offering in the first place, how intuitive and flexible it is, how much effective and directly describing reality variables are, how many real effects are simulated... Things like that are more above importance of data. What Neils Heusinkveld says is just related about what he enjoys working with more, and where he is able to get better results. If I have worked with some particular models and excelled so greatly at them, I wouldn't want to switch to different ones, especially if I was fully satisfied already. IMO it is a shame, I think guy like Niels would quickly learn rF2 modeling very well, well perhaps ttool, I don't know much about ttool, but real time values of tires I find to be superb to work with.

4. Thanks for showing these canned effects. Yes perhaps it is true, but it doesn't look like anything sinful.

5. Yes exactly, same could be said by any simulation fan, and it would be true. In all proper sims FFB should be based on physics. I was saying it exactly like that. Better physics will always output better FFB. More average physics - more average FFB.

6. I really wish those things would come to rF2. That is awesome stuff. But to begin with it must be the basics that are simulated well, and there are just few issues around basics in rF2, few of them are debatable, while foundations are very good.

6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Well.. what can you do when you don't agree ? You try to prove yourself as long as you believe yourself. Sometimes people need to agree to disagree and leave it for the time.

Trusting developers is a difficult thing. The yare also humans and can do mistakes, be wrong... however, most of them will be inclined to be liked by most people, satisfy most peoples wishes. Wishes and needs might not always be the same. Gamers are like women, you need to feed them with information that they wish to hear, not that they need to hear. Same with physics, the evolution of every simracing product in mass market will always be inclined towards becoming more likely easier than more difficult. iRacing is at wonderful spot at this, they begun with overly demanding physics in many cars, and they can keep on making it easier - becoming more likeable by more people, and also becoming more realistic at the same time. Simulation developers who already start at more likely easier, or just about realistic level of difficulty are in much less favorable position as people demand "improvements" and updates, and improvements are almost always expected to be making something feel better, driving better, driving faster, being more controllable, being easier overall - what if the set point was already decently realistic ? Without being fully critical, it is easy to degrade, especially when there are temptations which are very easy to achieve.

Which developer would you think develop a product, and then immediately agree with bunch of random people that it is not realistic ? That either have to be not confident and incompetent developer that doubts of is his work a lot already, or it has to be a dev that knows himself he did something wrong, or it has to be a developer with weak principles and is ready to go wherever others like him more. In my opinion a developer who doesn't rush to change stuff quickly, is most likely more honest, and has better virtues which are necessary for doing something like replicating reality and then presenting it as fair imitation. It makes sense for a good developer who makes simulations not to change something till he himself becomes totally certain if change needs to be done.

I watched little of the video you provided, nice one indeed. Great driving, I would suggest that this is rather skillful driver (just like me :D just joking, probably better). Even in limited amount of watching I have noticed that he does tons of corrections, was catching the car a lot as rear end was definitely loosing traction at places.

Nieubermesch and Sim_Player like this.
  7. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I never said that ultimate thing. I even said their opinion about same car's realism varies a lot implying it's not ultimate assessment

You're sure? Maybe not all but perhaps most of cars feel (too) bumpy? At least in comparison to other major sims. I know those other major sims might be all wrong and rF2 is perfect, but I have some doubts.
    And I suspect you can make most cars less bumpy by different setup , but that a compromise.

I'm not sure if I fully understand, but anyway I suspect you believe rf2 is over and above other major sims in these aspects? But I'm sure you know for good simulation you need real detailed data and a way to translate it to the physics engine. If you have wrong data or wrongly translated/implemented, then best physics engine would be worthless.

8. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

So if you listen to you all the devs are sold to people who prefer the "easy" so the devs don't evolve their physical knowledge and the physical engines don't evolve in fact it's the devs who make the cars easier to please the population...OMG what you must not read...
    I stop here, it's getting really nonsensical ...

Edit: I'm still in my ingame tests, I'm getting closer and closer to the speed of the Vee on sao-paulo with rf2, I've changed my way of driving to get there but it must be largely possible and surely a good rf2 driver will go even faster!
    on the other hand nothing to do with the skippy on lime rock park i am very far from doing like the irl videos..but i continue
    on AMS2 I just did 2 laps and I'm 5s faster the Vee has nothing to do with rF2 it's more fun and I really feel like I'm driving a car on the ams2 one no it's really flavorless (for me)

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@avenger82 I wouldn't call a car setup to suit better your needs a compromise, it is a compromise if you make it worse at some other aspect, but it isn't so all the time. And besides setup there are things in the parameters in cars physics that aren't adjustable in setup, which can make a lot of difference to how cars drive over bumps. Most likely it would be just because the way something is built, rather than some weird software glitch that makes cars bumpy.... over bumps.... Anyway, it is fair to have doubts...

As for data, I agree that data is great. But you can do a lot of interpretations without data at all and still get reasonably realistic, and almost certainly even for official content in all sims there are plenty of guesstimations made, and skilled physics makers certainly can make good guesses. I also think truly good physics maker would rather do guessing, than use data that is too difficult to interpret or wouldn't seem to be reliable and accurate, which I suppose happens too. The progress of making cars physics is complex, there are a lot of nodes that interacts with one another, there should be tolerances, we should tolerate cars seeming bit off, but they shouldn't be way off. Unfortunately me or you, could possibly be way off by our expectations and how we perceive reality (very easily). For example underestimating or overestimating skills and effort of RL drivers, or our own skills and effort.

@leseb64 Well....yeah. Exactly. Just devs don't have to sacrifice their own knowledge and don't have to stop evolving physics engines. It is enough just to tweak few little values and thats it - everyone becomes great driver, or car is undrivable. Just few parameters changed a bit can make this difference in simulation. Data or no data available, changes can be made to give everybody what they want. In general I think driving fast should never be hard, but driving very fast should be very hard in majority of cars, some less and some more. Unfortunately in simulation people drives faster than they should, or than they would IRL.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't know anything about the Formula Vee or Skip Barber but i've been listening the same things from the beginning of both cars.
    Opposite opinions about them.
    That reminds me what happens with Formula 1 cars.
    A lot of people try them and says that those cars are imposible to drive, but the existing F1 leagues say the opposite.
    I think that certain cars are difficult to drive, if you don't understand how to drive them. Once you understand the behaviour, it becomes easier until you drive it naturally.
    I don't know if this can be the same with the Formula Vee and Skip barber.

Sim_Player likes this.
  11. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

yes the players drive faster than irl but it's not necessarily the devs fault or because they make it easier, we're in rigs at home in the warmth of our home, our lives are not in question unlike on a real track, Look at the IRL GT3 and GTE cars, the pros go very fast and the cars are stuck to the ground, it's not the fault of the devs and personally I can't go as fast on rf2 as the IRL drivers, but I'm not an alien, we're not in the 60's anymore with cars that are very sensitive to slippage, since the 90's the cars have evolved a lot in terms of aero, suspension, tyres, etc., they stick to the ground, even if you don't like it!
    I don't think the devs are guilty of cheating to please the majority of players either on rf2 acc or iracing...

the new tatuus F3 is not stuck to the ground it is demanding and very fun, the bmw DTM and the F1 pro also when you attack hard they are tricky and you go very fast to the fault surely the most demanding cars of rf2!

12. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

you really think you're teaching me something here? I drive enough irl to know how a car with a rear engine and even a front engine works...

TheMenace likes this.
  13. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

I'm not a driver but I've had my licence for 28 years and I drive a lot of sports cars and I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a few laps of the circuit each year so yes I have a little experience!
    and you don't share your opinion with me but you clearly tell me to go and learn from your articles...

TheMenace likes this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, but when devs don't make it easier, then its their fault, as constantly expressed by simracers. Thats absolutely true in sim many people don't stress about overdriving cars at all, there is no real danger. What I want to say is that when you have a car that drives realistically, and then drive it unrealistically purely because it doesn't matter if you crash, then you find yourself putting car increasingly more over the limit with decreasing amount of care. People usually don't complain a lot if developer allows possibility to drive like an ace, while in reality the person is not much better than average.

I also don't think any developers are guilty if they ever cheat anyone by falsely and purposely adjusting difficulty levels. It is because people ask for that. Users is the weakest point in every simulation, because of vast complexity of reality that is difficult to perceive and understand truly right, some does not even try.

Interesting that you say 60s cars were sensitive to slippage comparing to modern racing cars. I think it was the opposite. However, it depend from which perspective you look at it. In older days there was no downforce and tires were less grippy, cars were sensitive to overdriving as they begin to slide early, but they were not sensitive to sliding, they liked sliding. As time went by, downforce came, and then a lot more of downforce, slick tires, soft rubber, cars did become less sensitive to begin sliding as they begin to slide a lot later, but once they were sliding they over time became a lot more sensitive to sliding itself, it takes lots of skills to keep them on rails when pushing the limits. With older cars it was more about not pushing over the limits too far, and now it is more about not pushing over the limits at all, maybe just a little bit.

MCGeo8 and leseb64 like this.
  15. Filip

Filip Registered

There's a big difference between national and regional Skip Barber, at least to me.
    Tires meake these like two different cars.
    I find driving the regional Skip Barber more similar to some othe rf2 mods than to driving the national Skip.
    So when referring to driving behaviour of Skip Barber in rf2 one should state which version.

avenger82 likes this.
  16. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

yes the old cars used to slide and they were easier to control than a modern car that also slides, let's say that the breaking point or catching up of the car is more unpredictable with the modern ones (I don't like to go into details I have a hard time when it's not my native language sorry) but yes I'm of the same opinion that's why I still have fun with GT legends from time to time because I love the vintage!

for those who are devs that make it easier to drive, hmmm no I have a hard time, well I hope not actually, anyway I have the impression that the s397 devs don't do it, Look at the GT3's when they were driving at crazy speeds, it was crazy, the devs solved it with the new tyres (and other physical corrections I think) now they are much more credible and you don't drift through the corners anymore or much less, but I still find them too permissive towards catching the car when it slides from the back, I've already caught cars almost at "45°(I exaggerate yes), which is impossible in the real world with a GT3 ..

But I think that overall for the physics s397 is doing a good job especially with the last cars released! there are of course improvements to be made (transmission, clutch, aero etc..) but it is going in the right direction I think.

Nieubermesch and mantasisg like this.
  17. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

LOL, I did not realize my initial post (quoted above) would spark so much interest and debate about this car and the FFB/driving model of RF2 in general :)

MCGeo8 and atomed like this.
  18. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

What is number three?

19. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

What did you change to the default setup (and why)?

20. atomed

atomed Member

The Miata, The Skippy and the FVee are probably in my top 3, though I could make room for 4 or 5 more into the podium :cool:

GertjanD likes this.