Released Released | Build Update - July 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Hoshi

Hoshi Registered

Another unhappy Thrustmaster user here. "Steering effects strenght" resets itself to "negative" after a restart, at least on my system.
    Maybe that's the same with you derek?

2. derek44

derek44 Registered

same here Hoshi, i didn't see that negative value since ly logitech times.... the strangest thing is that if i set it positive is like the old negative, meaning that is impossible to drive
    do you understand the difference between the device driver and the software choice?

is the same for you with the exxagerate yaw?
    read here https://forum.studio-397.com/index....ller-profile-sets-exaggerate-yaw-to-80.70111/

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  3. derek44

derek44 Registered

ok i create the trace file, now what have i to do to understand what is happening when i close the game?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  4. MiguelVallejo

MiguelVallejo Registered

haven't tested it yet. A few days out

5. Hoshi

Hoshi Registered

I've chosen the "device driver" option with a fixed rotation of 540°, so no worries on my side regarding these settings.
    "Exaggerate yaw" stays on 20, so apparently there is no problem here.

But I have been a rfactor2 user since early 2012, so I know the essential facts, it's

50% fiddling around with ini-files and esoteric settings
    30% waiting for the chosen track to load
    and 20% actual driving

and in my opinion that won't change either

6. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Yes you are not entirely wrong.
    Esoteric ini ..?
    This is good man!:D

7. derek44

derek44 Registered

esoteric settings he wrote:D

but i agree, you're not far from the truth

8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Thank you for the concise update !

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Attach the trace file here. ("Upload a file" - don't just paste its contents, it's too big)

10. derek44

derek44 Registered

that's it

Attached Files:

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Thanks for that.

For now you should remove all third party plugins and see how things are. You also seem to have a lot of content errors, you may want to remove those things although they won't necessarily cause wider issues.

For plugins, remove:
    • DAMPlugin (and when you put it back later, just check you have the latest version in my thread)
    • rF2PedalOverlayPlugin_x64
    • rFactor2SharedMemoryMapPlugin64
    • SRT_Adapter_x64 (it's listed here as one to avoid, as well)
    I would be a little worried about potentially old files supporting those and older plugins as well; you may want, at some point, to give rF2 a relatively fresh start. You can do that with only a relatively small download by moving/deleting all folders in rFactor 2 except Installed and ModDev. You have multiple issues it seems so I'd personally be looking to do that at some point.

Of course later you can put back in the sharedmemory (I assume you're using something else with it) and the damplugin, but when sorting out issues it's best to remove anything custom like those.

You may want to keep a copy of your UserData folder to restore settings and custom files later, but as much as possible try to start fresh to avoid issues. (bearing in mind the current bug with the controller applying yaw...)

12. derek44

derek44 Registered

thanks a lot, this is very useful

13. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

How to use this built-in game screenshots? For me it never worked with new UI, only steam saving my screenshots when I press F12

14. williang83

williang83 Registered

If you are referring to this 'Updated Yellow Flag and Blue flag logic to work correctly with flag station grouping' then it has nothing to do with AI

15. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

Kind of sideways, apologies, but over time I have accumulated a lot of nonsense tracks and cars on steam workshop, and find that the only ones I really use are the DLC ones and some direct downloads from ISR incl the ACC ripped tracks etc.

I realised the other day that all the "installed" tracks ALSO live in another folder in steam download chewing up an additional 80gb of space for no good reason as they get duplicated it seems.
    upload_2021-7-26_19-41-47.png
    upload_2021-7-26_19-42-20.png

How would I go about (hopefully easily) doing a fresh install with NO steam tracks at all, just the the tracks in DLC's and the preffered tracks in my "packages folder". Or do i have to manually untick every package in steam? (and would it then be safe to deleted that huge waste of harddrive space in steam/downloads before reinstall of RF2, so that after reinstall i only get the steam dlc tracks duplicated in that folder?

16. Tomislav Leskovic

Tomislav Leskovic Registered

If all you want are DLCs, there is an option to unsubscribe from all subscribed, which will unsubscribe you from all workshop subscribed items (not including DLCs). As for deletion, if you delete them manually, only thing you'll do is activate a mechanism to re-download them again.

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Honestly, knowing this about content of rF2 being stored stored twice or thrice, I don't even know anymore... Makes me think of becoming very conservative with content as well. And then there now is new UI where for cars half of more of the size goes to PNG images for UI...

This, or I am way behind storage technology with my lesser than terabyte HDD + 100GB of SSD.... Perhaps I should also have only rF2 on my PC and nothing else ? And I don't even harvest everything there is possible to download.

rF2 is rF2... Most irrational and also most clever at the same time. rF2 is like going to shower and constantly alternating between hot and cold.

Emery, Bostrom and memoNo1 like this.
  18. CIP060

CIP060 Registered

Sure you can DO! Just take the files from the steam workshop folder and put them in a folder Remove the subscriptions from steam and install the files manually by placing them in the package folder Install the machines or tracks (MOD) files via mod manager or via game started After installing the game package folder you can safely empty it! This way you will have the mods installed but you will have all your precious GIGA back on your disk !! Obviously you won't get the updates but most of the mods haven't been updated in years !! But just follow if there are any updates on any track or car I personally only keep subscriptions to official content or paid dlc and little else

FS7, CeeBee, Woodee and 1 other person like this.
  19. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

You know, do not you,
    Genius and madness are close together ...:D

I think now I know why I am here, or why I feel so comfortable here ..:D:cool:

Bostrom likes this.
  20. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

So: I went on a "file cleaning" bender, dumping all the nonsense I dont want and retaining what I do want (incl settings etc).
    (More advanced users will recognise that with steam console enabled steps 1-7 are scriptable, saved mine as Rf2Reset.bat)

Anyone else looking for it my process was as follows

1. Go to \SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\365960, search for tracks and cars you want to keep, copy out the RFCMP files to your PACKAGES folder, keeping only the latest updated version.

2. In Steam go to rfactor2>>workshop>>dropdown browse>>your subscribed items>>Unsubscribe From All.

3. Copy out \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData
    Copy out \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Packages
    Copy out \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\Plugins

4. Uninstall Rfactor2

5. Delete Folder \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2
    Delete File \SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\appworkshop_365960.acf
    (Not following these steps will result in ALL unsubscribed content downloading again, only to "uninstall" itself on first launch)

6. Reinstall Rfactor 2

7. Reverse step 3, and then launch Rfactor2.

8. Install packages manually, you can then move the content of PACKAGES off your SSD to a slower/bigger HDD for storage or in my case, skip the middleman and setup a symbolic redirect using mklink.

9. ONLY subscribe to Steam content you WILL play and if you are certain it wont get updates, let it download, copy out the rfmod (see step 1), then unsubscribe immediately, reinstall manually, keeping file management in your control.

This process took my combined rf2 install from 380GB down to 52GB, 31gb main folder with only the DLC content 21GB duplicated to the steam folder.

"slightly" faster process B -
    Just buy a 1TB SSD, format it and name it RF2_BLACK_HOLE_OF_DATA, get steam to install RF2 on it and kiss it goodbye for anything else..SSD's are cheaper than paying a psychiatrist to answer "Why S397?? Why?..."

Dear S397 Devs.. please give us a button to unistall steam content from WITHIN RF2, and ensure it cleans out the steam workshop cache as well. TIA.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    FS7, Emery, RaceNut and 3 others like this.