[WIP] CART Factor

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by zerocool, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Roninho

Roninho Registered

Hi what do you mean with "the ShortOval and Speedway ISI TGMS."?

I've now raced a bunch of ovals (including some of @tchachalowski tracks) and i dont think the tires are right.
    I have no issue regarding grip and wear compared to ai on rc's, but on the ovals i have limited grip (on tge speedways, not the short ovals) andhuge tire wear issues (both ss as short ovals). Basicaly my tires wear within 60%-80% of the stints of the ai.

2. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

image space incorporated ISI before studio 397 took over
    Had default open wheel tires that were used on most open wheel mods. They had a Alternative Primary Short Oval and Speedway

Seems to be the only place to download them now.
    http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/

3. Roninho

Roninho Registered

Could you share those upgrades? Or explain which steps to take to use these tires. I would be interested to test those

4. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

It involves unpacking editing lines and files then repacking. Then manipulating and testing numbers repacking every time. Give me some time and I will get back to you.

Roninho likes this.
  5. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

Just a quick FYI that in 1998 drivers could upshift without lifting, but still had to manually blip the throttle when downshifting.

Here is a video from 2002 of Adrián Fernández working the pedals in his car.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    BeGee and DiggerHawk like this.
  6. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

I had been away from this thread for 6+ months. Just wanted to say wow and great work, @BeGee and @DiggerHawk!

DiggerHawk likes this.
  7. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Nice catch USCTrojan,

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/champ-car.htm#pt6

A Champ Car uses a six-speed sequential transmission that is more similar to a motorcycle's transmission than to a typical automobile's. Shifting is done by the driver using a small lever to the right of the steering wheel:

Another feature of a Champ Car's engine and transmission is called Shift Without Lift, or SWOL. The engine control unit allows the transmission to shift gears without the driver lifting off the accelerator. The driver can therefore upshift without using the clutch or letting off the gas, and this maximizes acceleration. The SWOL feature is also available during downshifting, but the driver must match engine rpm with the gear choice during the downshift.

8. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Great insight buddy! Thanks for sharing this info.

9. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Thank you for finding this information. I believe looking at the HDV files it would just require a change to the "SemiAutomatic=1" line to "SemiAutomatic=2" as according to the annotated skipbarber HDV file that would mean upshifts are semiautomatic but downshifts would be manual. I don't know if anything else would need adjusting, @BeGee was the one who started looking at the HDV's, maybe he could advise on the way forward.

On an other note does anybody have a picture that shows what the rain light looked like on the rear end of the Penske PC-27? I have found some that give a reasonable view of the other chassis but the one image of the Penske I could find it didn't have one fitted. Were the rain lights fitted at all times or was it only on the road/street tracks?

BeGee, USCTrojan4JC and atomed like this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I would assume on road courses only. Like Nascar, I don't think the tire companies were comfortable letting folks circulate on the the big ovals in the wet. Smaller venues, like perhaps Nazareth, Phoenix, Milwaukee....perhaps those....tracks that required braking even in the dry.

11. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

Do we have a winner here? https://www.flickr.com/photos/39471412@N02/17235535038/in/dateposted/

Although after zooming in, I still can't make out much. :(

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  12. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

13. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Great find with that pic!
    From what I can make out the rain light is that rectangle part that spans the rear wing supports. Comparing it to a pic I found of the car at Donington there is a difference in this area. The Donington car has a thin symmetrical aerofoil spanning the rear wing supports apposed to that rectangle shape. The fact the Donington car is in oval spec suggests that they didn't carry a rain light on ovals (one less part to replace in an accident maybe? Considering it wasn't needed on ovals).

USCTrojan4JC likes this.
  14. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I don't think it works as a brake light, I presume like in F1 reactions time wouldn't be quick enough to react to it coming on.

15. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Unfortunately the museum closed a few years ago and the collection was sold off. I have no idea where the car is now.

A few weeks ago I had a look on Google maps to see if I could find the factory where they were made in Poole, Dorset. I think I found it. Its amazing that 3 of the 4 chassis where made in the England.

USCTrojan4JC likes this.
  16. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

I wasn't able to find anything showing the rear of the PC27 from the Long Beach Grand Prix qualifying in the wet on Saturday, April 4, 1998. I think I was there that day, too. :p

I looked through Peter Burke's SpeedCenter gallery for that race weekend https://www.speedcenter.com/archive/gallery/gallery98/03longbeach/index.html and also the usual Google Image Search. I don't know if emailing him might provide you with any images he didn't post. Does anyone else have any ideas?

17. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Try here USCTrojan,

https://www.gettyimages.ca/photos/1...998 toyota grand prix of long beach&sort=best

I use this site a lot since the videos are so low res from those days.
    the trick is you have put the year and name of the event.
    For example: Miller lite 200 rather than mid-ohio

Rnd Date Race Name Circuit Location
    March 15 [​IMG] Marlboro Grand Prix of Miami O Homestead-Miami Speedway Homestead, Florida
    2 March 28 [​IMG] Budweiser 500K O Twin Ring Motegi Motegi, Japan
    3 April 5 [​IMG] Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach S Streets of Long Beach Long Beach, California
    4 April 27* [​IMG] Bosch Spark Plug Grand Prix O Nazareth Speedway Nazareth, Pennsylvania
    5 May 10 [​IMG] Rio 400K O Autódromo de Jacarepaguá Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    6 May 23 [​IMG] Motorola 300 O Gateway International Raceway Madison, Illinois
    7 May 31 [​IMG] Miller 200 O Milwaukee Mile West Allis, Wisconsin
    8 June 7 [​IMG] ITT Automotive Detroit Grand Prix S The Raceway on Belle Isle Park Detroit, Michigan
    9 June 21 [​IMG] Budweiser/G. I. Joe's 200 R Portland International Raceway Portland, Oregon
    10 July 12 [​IMG] Medic Drug Grand Prix of Cleveland S Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport Cleveland, Ohio
    11 July 19 [​IMG] Molson Indy Toronto S Exhibition Place Toronto, Ontario
    12 July 26 [​IMG] U.S. 500 O Michigan International Speedway Brooklyn, Michigan
    13 August 9 [​IMG] Miller Lite 200 R Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Lexington, Ohio
    14 August 16 [​IMG] Texaco/Havoline 200 R Road America Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
    15 September 6 [​IMG] Molson Indy Vancouver S Streets of Vancouver Vancouver, British Columbia
    16 September 13 [​IMG] Honda Grand Prix of Monterey R Laguna Seca Raceway Monterey, California
    17 October 4 [​IMG] Texaco Grand Prix of Houston S George R. Brown Convention Center Houston, Texas
    18 October 18 [​IMG] Honda Indy Carnival S Surfers Paradise Street Circuit Surfers Paradise, Australia
    19 November 1 [​IMG] Marlboro 500 O California Speedway Fontana, California

atomed and USCTrojan4JC like this.
  18. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

19. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I may have enough pics to make an accurate enough representation of the rain light. Should be an improvement over its current state anyway.

USCTrojan4JC and pkelly like this.
  20. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Some progress to report.

Redapg looked at the reynard and has given me some direction in terms of updating the physics. I am going to be testing converting to a flex chassis, suspension and steering to rf2. His guidance will be very useful and I hope we have encouraging results. Hopefully we can also make some headway on turbo and existing tires, perhaps resize a new tire model too.

some tracks have been re-meshed and converted to the 98 layout. Thanks to a couple passionate members for providing some feedback in that regard. The focus has been on the drive with active bumps in distinct sections of the track. Each track so far has also experienced a frame rate jump with more efficient poly counts. Still have to add shadows, reflections and visigroups.. More important is the quest to get proper permission with the hopes of sharing and that is a process ongoing.

The graphic update diggerhawk did on the Lola looks amazing. Wow!