Thrustmaster TX problems

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Josecm, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Josecm

Josecm Registered

Hello, I just bought this racing wheel and I notice two problems.

1. I think that this is the motor system itself and we can't "fix" it:
    If I move the wheel slowly I see that it seems that snaps to rotation steps (2 or 3 degrees) it don't have a smooth rotation.

2. The Knob at bottom right, have 3 positions.It is at center by default, and if you turn left or right, when you release it, it returns to the center immediately.
    But it only return instantly when I turn to the right. If I turn it to the left and I release it, it got stuck and takes 1-2 seconds to return to the center.
    This is by design or it have a fault?

This is my first force feedback wheel. Hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

Yours has a fault.

Your first issue I will investigate further later on. I don't ever recall seeing that on my wheel though.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My TS-PC had a similar switch. Essentially a toggle that you could move left or right repeatedly. Might be useful for adjusting brake bias. I think the switch also was clickable in the center.(press the center as if it was just a button) The slow return probably indicates the return mechanism is worn or defective.
    If the wheel is brand new you can most certainly file a claim for a replacement from the retailer or at Thrustmaster for either a service refurbishment, or replacement. But it will take about a month. If you purchased the wheel 2nd hand, you most likely have a worn out item that the previous owner used until it was less than optimum. Depending upon where you purchased it, you might ....very very very small might... get a refund.

4. Josecm

Josecm Registered

5. Josecm

Josecm Registered

I am in a trip, on Monday I can record a video where you can see the rotation steps.

6. Josecm

Josecm Registered

Yes it is clickable in the center and works ok. But the stuck problem persists after several left/right tests to see if it gets better.
    Finally I will request a change, but I wanted to know if there was a problem or these was by design behaviour.

7. Josecm

Josecm Registered

Hi, I just return home and I tested again.

Today the knob don't gets stuck. But it is harder to move to the left (their contact works well though). I don't know if it is enought to get a wheel change in this 14 firsts days.

With regards with the wheel "snap steps" I recorded a video. You can see when I plug the USB cable and the wheel calibrates (and it is ready for use) is when I can feel this snaps.
    I also saw it in the wheel config and the steps are of around 0.5 degrees each. Is this normal? It is a lot of noticeable driving straight and doing little direction changes.

8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

That stepping behavior is causes by a defect to the hall effect sensor's mount. If the item is brand new you should return it.

9. Josecm

Josecm Registered

Ok, thanks you very much for your response.

10. Josecm

Josecm Registered

I contacted to Thrusmaster (Amazon said me to contact the manufacturer first), and Thrusmaster said my this:

Hello, as a continuation of our previous communications and after reviewing the files that you have provided us, we could not confirm the failures that you have indicated since the video is not clear enough:

- From the steering, it is normal that when the steering wheel is disconnected it does not offer resistance because the Force Feedback effects and the motor are activated only after connecting the unit.

However, we have also noticed that your unit has an old firmware version. We then invite you to follow the steps below to perform the update and to be able to carry out a new functional test.

I updated the firmware and continues equal.

I was searching to these stepping behaviour on YouTube and Google and don't find it.

Can you post some post from other people showing this behaviour?

I don't know how to proceed because I can't demonstrate that it have an incorrect behaviour.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

11. Chris English

Chris English Registered

My TX does the stepping thing when powered on and smooth while powered off - exactly as your video. I contacted Thrustmaster about it when I first bought the wheel and they said it was normal. The important thing is you don't feel this stepping when driving in game at all - only when the wheel is powered on and idle. 6 years on it's no different but still works perfectly in game.

12. Josecm

Josecm Registered

Thanks for your fast reply.

The problem is when I am driving straight and I make small direction changes it is very noticeable. I played F1 Sims, Karts and GT cars and I can feel that the wheel have a VERY LOW PHYSICAL RESOLUTION. In contrast, the rotation sensor is more accurate, I can see in the wheel control panel that it recognize other intermediate degrees between two physical steps points.

But it is very annoying that when driving straight and I want to make a little direction correction, It have the same behaviour showed in the video. Is seems like a cheap force feedback wheel, not a 400€ wheel.
    I don't know if other TX have the exact same gap between this steps, or they have less.

13. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Normal tx don't behave like that.

Definitely defective. Do a better video with good lighting and mount you camera to something, rather than holding it.

Open the TM usb controller page and very gently rotate the wheel at a consistent speed all the way from left to right and back again.

You don't need to show them what it does when turned off.

14. Josecm

Josecm Registered

Ok thanks you very much I will try this.

15. Josecm

Josecm Registered

I made a new video, I hope this is more clear for them.

16. Josecm

Josecm Registered

In 2:36 I show it in Rfactor2, showing the same stepping behaviour than in the wheel Config drivers.

17. Josecm

Josecm Registered

I just received an email with a new post from you, but I can´t see the post here.

Thanks you for your detailed thoughts. I called Amazon this monday, and they said that I must talk to Thrustmaster first, because if it is a problem with a lot of products, all they will have the same problem, and they will send a new one with the same problem.

18. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I deleted the post as I'm not 100% sure and didn't want to give out misinformation. It looks very likely to be the motor or the motor driver chip/mosfets.

It's definitely not right. send that last vid to Thrustmaster and say that it's smooth when powered off. If they say it's not got a problem then they're either lying or just an admin worker and don't understand the product/issue. Say you've had a wheel repair technician confirm that there is an issue, if they try to fob you off again.

19. Josecm

Josecm Registered

Sorry, I was thinking that was a forum problem with the post that didn´t appears.

Yes I sent the video to Thrustmaster, I hope they answer tomorrow with a positive response.

It is not cheap, and if you confirm that this is not a correct behaviour and it have a problem, it is enough for me to take a decision. The underlaying problem is matter of them to discover, don´t worry about the cause itself. I need only a confirmation from somebody that know and have used Force feedback wheels that it have a problem and is not behaving as spected.

I want a Wheel that works right, it feels like a cheap wheel when doing little direction corrections.

Thanks you for all your help.

20. doddynco

doddynco Registered

No worries. Hope you get it sorted.