Formula Pro & DRS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gogol, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Gogol

Gogol Registered

If i drive with the Formula Pro cars on F1-tracks, i (and also the opponents) can use DRS at the whole track. That's not very realistic and irritating. I have to press the DRS-Button the whole time. If not i have no chance against the ai-driver. Does anyone has a solution for this or will this be fixed/modified? Are there any settings i have to change?

Thanks in advance!

2. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Official tracks use the 2012 DRS rules, which is use wherever you want in practice and qualifying but only in the designated zones during a race.

FORMULAEFAN71 and juanchioooo like this.
  3. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I admit a No DRS rule option should be implemented fast to play with all the tracks

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What I'm worried about is a blanket drs to all the official tracks, Marcel hinted at this in the newest CS blog. Sebring should not have drs, Same for Le Mans. Monza, Spa, Silverstone etc? Those are fine. But Non-DLC tracks should stay that way. The option to turn off DRS on the CAR seems to be the best avenue forward.

pkelly, coltair and Highlandwalker like this.
  5. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Totally agree. I personally detest DRS in any shape or form. Probably the worst thing that has happened to motor sport. I usually avoid cars with DRS. Disabling it on the car is definitely the best idea.

Woodee likes this.
  6. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

If no drs support is given by track, drs should be disabled or autodetect main straight.

Plus we need the status not just in the steeringwheel, we need it in the hud!

Enabling drs after every corner exit is a pain in the ass and artificially driving..... I hate it, most do hate it. Same settings for race should be available in practice...

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

8. lagg

lagg Registered

And would be compatible with all the current content.

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Absolutely it would make sense to have an option in game to turn off DRS variable. Especially as it adds up to challenge and confusion that some may not be willing to work out and get used to. Just like many things in rF2 really, that pile up and then users complain about how it is difficult to set up the game and have most of it yada yaba doo.

I'd like to express my opinion about DRS real quick, as it is interesting subject. In my personal opinion DRS should have always been part of racing since the dawn of downforce. And there should have always been totally free rules for it for drivers to be able to use it whenever they like to.

Some might be surprised, but DRS did come at the same time with first downforce car. It happened in 1956 with Michael Mays Porsche 550, then later repeated, rediscovered and developed further by Jim Hall with His Chaparral 2F in 1967 (which you can find in rF2). Both were better than almost anything DRS today. For example Formula Pro (like F1) and our new BMW DTM Class 1 car, both will totally get their aerodynamic balance ruined with DRS activated, so they are good enough only in complete straights and slow enough and high radius enough kinks. Both Jim Halls and Michael Mays cars were sorted out better in terms of this. Michaels Porsche had wing over middle of the car, and Jim Halls car had hidden flap at the front of the car to compensate rear wing effects. Why such relatively simple active aerodynamic devices has never picked up till recently is beyond my understanding, especially as they were introduced right in the beginnings, only to be introduced not long ago in modern times, and still not even as well as they were back then. I think motorsports took absolutely wrong turn in terms of aerodynamics ever since mid 80s to late 80s. Balance from high downforce to low drag, wnt all the way to "we don't care that much about low drag if we get downforce, and we will rebuild tracks to suit that". Basically increasing bias to downforce over low drag was used to slow down cars, although speeding up them in the turns. Measures has been taken in top race tracks to chop longer straights by often adding out of place not fitting chicanes, not only to reduce top speeds into turns, but also to hide that cars would reach their top speed too soon due to stupidly massive drag induced by producing downforce that is absolutely not needed in the straights, and it is fine enough not to have too much or any of aerodynamic lift, which is long time forgotten thing, and many race car enthusiast don't even realize that many ordinary cars does never even have any downforce.

I think motorsports would have had been developing in so much more organic way if from the very beginning of downforce drag reducing systems were adopted. Although I am a bit confused trying to imagine what would have been if cars with fan systems and ground effect skirts would have been adopted, it probably would have been too crazy.

But yeah, it makes absolute sense to have an option to bypass DRS usage in the first place. It would just have been more awesome if IRL things would have been a bit different.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  10. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

It's a good moment to move DRS settings along with many other similar options from GDB/RFM to more user friendly UI options, or at least having a chance to enable/disable/customize from there (or server configuration for MP), whithout having to repackage anything. Just an idea. :)

Gonzo and davehenrie like this.
  11. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

I agree with you, most of the hate comes from the, ya know, purists.
    But I really don’t see much anything wrong with, it, Motorsport in itself is already artificial, I don’t see why a mid-lap overtaking aid is a negative thing, not much more artificial than what’s already there. Some people think it makes the race more boring, but that certainly is not the case, otherwise cars will just be stuck behind each other for the entirety of a stint or race, basically the 2010 season, australia, Abu Dhabi, even interlagos, they just got stuck, and I know Abu Dhabi isn’t great for overtaking, when you have 2 long straights and couldn’t get by a slower car for an entire race, yikes. And I know 2011 wasn’t an improvement, but in recent years since 2017 I feel like it’s been a positive.

Remco Majoor and mantasisg like this.
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Chaparral also used load leveling hydraulic dampers/shock absorbers to level out the quirks of the White Whale 2H. Active suspension 10-15 years ahead of Williams F1 car. Many advances, over the years, have been resisted rather than embraced. Often the resistance came from competitors who didn't have the skills, time or money to replicate such bold steps. Think of Mercedes angled wheel adjustments as just one example.
    Nascar is one place you would never expect Ground Effects to enter a conversation, but teams often used fans blowing directly on the front brakes to help cool them. They were controlled from the cockpit via a switch. It did not take long for drivers to notice the extra front grip when the brake fans were turned on and started evacuating some of the air packed under the car.
    Porsche tried to replicate the Chaparral 2J sucker car by reversing the fan that supplied cooling air to the 12 cylinder engine. Imagine how much more dominant the final Panzer wagon(917/30) would have been if those tests had succeeded.
    While I prefer realism over fantasy when simming, I would like to see some of the possible 'What-ifs' that have been relegated to the garbage bins of history. What if the STP Turbine car became the dominant powerplant at Indy? Why were rear-engined cars even allowed to compete against front engined monsters back in the day?

pkelly and mantasisg like this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

There is nothing wrong, there are only good things about DRS IMO

And it should not even be used specifically as overtaking aid. It should be used everywhere and anytime it is useful. The main overtaking aid should be normally working slip streaming, and not too much downforce overall, the stuff should be more mechanical, simply because when there is that much downforce that half of the historic race track curves becomes virtually straights and there is a need for numerous chicanes, 90deg turns and hairpins to actually insert something that for a car and driver is seen as comprehensible task to drive at full attack, and perhaps even side by side with another car while battling for a position - it is a problem to solve. And adding all those modifications is not solving roots of the problem, just hiding its consequences.

davehenrie likes this.
  14. williang83

williang83 Registered

Honestly DRS issue really is a limitation, It is really necessary to disable DRS for a given session. I refunded this car because of this and BMW M4 provide the same hassle which translate me to not using it despite its pro

15. FlyinFinn2

FlyinFinn2 Registered

16. williang83

williang83 Registered

17. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

what about formula pro prequal in SPA? are those alien laptimes achieved with DRS open during all track? or am i just snail +12sec?

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  18. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

Can't DRS be managed in the player profile so if you are racing ofline agaisnt the AI then you can set how you want the DRS to be used ?

19. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

I think there are a lot of us offline-racers and we should be able to turn off drs in qualifying and in practice.

In general, I'm already used to turning it on where the AI does, but it doesn't stop being a pointless crutch.

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I wonder what are the laptimes, since I didn't have time to participate, competition system is so secret, you must take part in it, to know laptimes lol

+12sec seems realistic for F1 car to start getting challenging. You probably could still cut 5-7sec with hard work, good setup. And DRS must give few seconds as well for sure. With BMW Class 1, at least in Monza I find myself nearly 2sec faster than without using DRS. I have not got familiar enough with FPro to know how it works in with it.