Tracks without DRS zones

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Fabian Balle, Jun 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

I noticed that on every track that has no specific DRS zones you can deploy it everywhere, even in the race.

2. RoWo

RoWo Member

This is not a bug.
    DRS zones have to be specified in the track. So it's a task for the track creator.

atomed likes this.
  3. pmarin

pmarin Registered

This might not be considered a bug but maybe it could be treated in the opposite way, if a track doesnt have DRS zones specified, it could prohibit its use, that way all the user created tracks that don't have it implemented would work well with cars that support it.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

But then I wouldn't be able to use Woodee.s WONDERFUL Chaparral 2F at non DRS tracks. He hacked the flap function to make the moveable rear wing to be user controlled, in the late 60's, the Wing was flattened whenever a straight opened up before them. So turning off the availablity of DRS at non-DRS tracks(all of them prior to sometime this Century) would negate the Chaparral's wing.

5. kingkong

kingkong Registered

How about for tracks that they sell?? This is intended? Nurburgring spa monaco monza imola etc all should have zones or disable the DRS entirely. You can't edit these tracks either so no disabling it yourself...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

depends somewhat upon the car I think. The new BMW follows DTM rules which give the driver the option to use DRS whenever during practice & Q, but only in the correct zones during a race. If modded cars follow the correct formats then the DRS will, as in F1, only allow DRS in DRS zones. Tracks that have no DRS coding, can't be 'forced' to follow the DRS rules since there are/is no DRS rules in the track's code. Fixing DRS for any particular 3rd party track is soley up to the track maker. If he did not include DRS, then there effectively is no DRS. This would allow all cars that are equiped with DRS to deploy the wing willy-nilly. Then it's up to the user to decide if he wants to race with a DRS car at a non DRS track.

7. pmarin

pmarin Registered

Hi Dave, if I understand you correctly, you say that if a track has no DRS zone stablished, the DRS should not available, but what I am finding in modded tracks is the opposite. If the track has nos DRS zone, the DRS is available in the whole track, making offline racing against AIs not ideal. I've found this happens in a lot of great tracks like Donington, Laguna Seca, Bathurst and Road America (those are the ones that I have tested).
    I know that Studio 397 shouldn't solve modders' issues, but I'd love to be able to disable the use of the DRS in the menus.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You have it correct, if the track was not set up for DRS, then there are no rules to govern where it can be used, thus...EVERYWHERE.
    But do the AI use DRS at non-DRS tracks?

9. lagg

lagg Registered

If the track doesn't have defined DRS zones, the AI will try o use DRS everywhere.
    A trick to avoid that AI uses DRS is to define a DRS zone of 1m (for example) in a braking zone.
    Something like this
    Code:
    RearFlapZoneSessions=31
    RearFlapWetThreshold=0.5

RearFlapZone               // zones for using rear flaps in race sessions
    {
        MinimumCrossings=4       // how many times you must cross the detection under green before it is allowed
        TimeThreshold=1.0        // seconds behind another vehicle for it to be allowed
        DetectionLapDist=300.0    // distance around track where time threshold is detected
        ActivationLapDist=301.0   // beginning of zone where it can be used (if under time threshold is detected)
        DeactivationLapDist=302.0  // end of zone (yes, the zone can be wrapped around s/f, or not)
    }
    The "problem" is that you need to install the track in devmode to know the meters of the DRS zone.

And once you have done the GDB, make an update of the track

10. pmarin

pmarin Registered

They do and at every straight, be it long or really short.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Two simple choices then, avoid tracks that do not have DRS zones, or, at tracks like 'most' of the tracks in N. America, choose another series of cars that do not have DRS capability. Or the more complex, use Iagg's technique and edit the tracks in dev mode to create teeny, tiny drs zones.

12. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

I think to be able to correct use for all situations would need a solution in game rather than car or track. So an option when setting a weekend that allows for each session of P, Q and race. Allow DRS everywhere, DRS zones only or nowhere.

Filip, coltair, Hazi and 1 other person like this.