Steam summer sale

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StuartAM, Jun 26, 2021.

1. StuartAM

StuartAM Registered

Just noticed the Steam summer sale and the endurance pack is on at £18.92 is that good value, I seem to think that’s it’s no different than normal price… have I missed something?

2. Tudor Morris

Tudor Morris Registered

Yep noticed that. I was hoping to buy most of the DLC in the summer sale but it doesn't seem to be such a great deal.

I believe they have added more cars to the Endurance pack so that it now includes all the current GTE and LMP cars plus DPi. This also makes the supplementary pack redundant unless you already had previously bought the Endurance pack.

Thing is, doesn't law dictate that a "sale" item must have been available at "normal" price for a certain amount of time before it can be described as being on sale? Certainly in the UK that is/was the case.

StuartAM likes this.
  3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

10 vehicles for 19 quid sounds like good value to me, dunno what the original endurance pack(with less vehicles) price was though for comparison.

StuartAM and McKiernan like this.
  4. StuartAM

StuartAM Registered

Ah I didn’t know it had more cars in the pack that makes sense, if it’s the original endurance pack + the other pack

5. Ian Grantham

Ian Grantham Registered

What about the other packs as it does not say if you get anything extra or what the original price was before sale. Just purchased RF2 while on sale and loving it. This summer sale with the DLC is very unclear to new people to the series like me.

Tudor Morris likes this.
  6. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Here's what I posted on discord in response to the question "anyone know the discount % of the summer sale car packs this time around?"

It's hard to tell because they've changed many of the packs. Also I only see prices in USD and that can fluctuate depending on the conversion rate to EUR. But it looks to me that the Reiza packs are all 50% off and the Track Expansion Pack is 25% off. And that is consistent with past sales. The GT3 Pack now has the Ferrari GT3 car added to it and it looks like it is now about 45% off the price of the previous GT3 Pack. So it's likely 50% off the new regular price. The Formula E Pack now has 2 added tracks and again is about 45% off the price of the previous version. The Endurance Bundle 2 is now called the Endurance Upgrade Pack and looks like it's 33% off. The really tough one is the Endurance Pack. It now includes the Cadillac DPi-V.R, Ligier JS P217 LMP2, Corvette C8.R GTE and the Ferrari 488 GTE. And is now on sale at a higher price than the older pack at the regular price. We'll have to see when it goes back to its regular price what the discount was.

And today there was an rF2 twitter post that the GT3 pack is 70% off.
    "Anyone fancy all our GT3 cars (including Ferrari) for a 70% discount?"

7. rd.king

rd.king Registered

Why they can't just have a per car/ track sale.
    Buy each car or track that you want that's on sale.
    Instead of this by the pack slight of hand BS.

mmed likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Always amused when deals are offered and folks get angry. It's like when Coca-Cola goes on sale...do I complain that I just bought a 12 pack last week? No I scarf up whatever deal is available.
    The reasoning behind these group packages is to ensure users have all the content needed to join online events. Too many users from other sims buy one car and expect that is all they need. You can blame Gjon and the ISI boys for trying to invent online anti-cheat methods prior to DLC becoming a thing. I remember, in the good ol days, when we were taught to watch out for users quitting and returning repeatedly prior to a race. I forget the term, but something about memory caching or stuffing. Those were the guys loading altered cars. ISI determined that if everyone had the same cars, then an altered one would stand-out and be easily flagged for removal. Just the world advanced past that type of cheating.
    Other sims don't have this, many will say. Many sims are not nearly as old as rF2.(especially if you consider rF1 as the starting point.) ISI was coding rF2 back then. Many of the interminable delays we are seeing while we wait for solo play fixes, for online play stability, for setup exploits, much of that time (wasted perhaps) was due to ISI's infernal yet brilliant coding.
    Finally I should have led with this line:
    If you are going to complain about spending money for a track pack that contains 1 or more tracks you already have, well then get in line. The guys who spent $85 for lifetime online access think they have the rights of first complaints.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    David O'Reilly and atomed like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are we back here again? https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/what-is-the-gt3-power-pack.66852/#post-1035710

They make money by selling DLC, they bring people in with packs related to certain content, most people end up either buying items outright soon after release or need to buy them individually later to complete packs/bundles. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

10. atomed

atomed Member

Guys, you were the first to enjoy the content, that´s also worth something, right? Just enjoy the pure joy rF2 has to give, others have to pay monthly for no rain :p

11. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Mainly because it's not commercially clever.
    They want new users and want existing users to buy more stuff and get more revenue.
    That's what bundles are.
    By giving you more stuff for the same money you get a better deal and they get more revenue.
    Similar to a supermarket offering a free beer glass with a case of beer.
    Or a better price for 24 beers instead of 6.
    So we have a choice; buy the 6 beers at the higher price per unit or get the volume deal.

atomed likes this.
  12. Filip

Filip Registered

Consider situation of someone like me.
    I own Nurburgring.
    I am interested in buying the F1 car.
    I see the pack Formula Pro pack with 4 items of which I own only Nurburgring.
    But buying Le Mans, Monza and Formula Pro separately costs the same as the pack so I decide to buy only Formula Pro or maybe Le Mans and Formula car for 16 EUR. Because I'm not that interested in Monza anyway.
    If there was something like discount for buyers who already own one track I would consider buying it.
    It could be Steam limitation or devs decision.
    Just saying.

PirroC and mmed like this.
  13. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

I saw a similar opinion on Discord made and would like to correct it. You can't blame Gjon and ISI. They created what worked for them in a dedicated server environment that had no real plan of paid DLC or CS.
    S397 chose to not change the system knowing that their CS and paid DLC would benefit from the change, especially when tackling multi-class endurance racing while trying to keep car models relatively up to date.
    S397 also chose to use the item store rather than the traditional DLC system(which was more than capable by the time the 1st S397 DLC was released). A system that would make the current overall packaging structure easier for new, existing and returning users by providing per item sales pricing with clear discounts; and an easier to understand pack system that takes into account content already owned.
    S397 also choose to package up series in their CS requiring all tracks upfront, even when you own the track for the current session. Something most leagues running dedicated servers tried and stopped doing a long time ago due to updates to build, mods etc.
    How is that actually working for them... Stagnant to somewhat declining numbers on SteamDB pretty much tells me it really isn't. How many of those roughly 800-1000 daily users are using the CS?? Yet every release sees calls here and on Discord that this will be the vehicle/track/feature to spark the influx of players. Yet social media channels, at times like Steam Sales; sees the packaging system being the most contentious issue in the advancement of player base.
    Can't say I am surprised, Lazza. Whilst consolidating the packs again makes it easier for the new user, the changing of pack contents does make it more confusing for the lapsed returning user(the users we should be trying to attract back). And the item store was never the right system for DLC.

mmed and Bill Worrel like this.
  14. CRMS

CRMS Registered

And the Formula E pack doesn't include London Excel track.

15. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Dunno.