[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. StuartAM

StuartAM Registered

Just installed the plug-in and motec and it’s great :)
    Silly question though and I’ve probably missed a step but my telemetry seems to be missing the steering input
    What have I missed?
    Stu

2. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

The standard MoTeC displays are linked to specific outputs that might not match the plugin output. If you don’t have anything showing it’s either this or you haven’t opened up the telemetry as there are other outputs. If so then they are in the channel list which is detailed in the first post? You can then align the MoTeC chart with any of the available outputs from the plugin.

StuartAM likes this.
  3. jepeto

jepeto Registered

hello,
    where is the folder to find Damplugin.ini ?
    thanks for your quote

4. StuartAM

StuartAM Registered

Thanks @Scoopscat7 just had to pick the correct channel

5. jepeto

jepeto Registered

found

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi,

Scoopscat7's reply has probably covered this off, matching the channel name in the graph(s) is obviously required for anything to show.

If you're just getting started with a project, or i2Pro, or telemetry in general, you should be aware there are 2 things that relate to 'steering':
    • Steering wheel angle, which the plugin logs as "Steering Wheel Position"
    • Steered angle, which you will need to calculate yourself
    Steering wheel position is obviously an indication of what you did with the steering wheel, so is certainly relatable, but depending on the steering ratio a given input here may not be comparable to an input in a different car or with a different setup.

Steered Angle is often used instead, and represents the direction of the front wheels (in relation to the car body). This is not only consistent across car setups and different cars, but also tends to be more useful in other calculations. Though I guess those two aspects are really products of the same thing.

Simplest way to get Steered Angle is to create a new Maths expression for it, and define it as ('Toe FL' [deg]+'Toe FR' [deg])/2

Then, as usual, you'd need to add it to a Time/Distance graph, or use it in other expressions if desired.

andrea_274, DA and StuartAM like this.
  7. StuartAM

StuartAM Registered

Thanks @Lazza i do remember reading something about a calculation for steering but didn’t quite understand till your post

8. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Ok, I've bitten the bullet and now can do better research before talking ;)

Thank you for your work. Great tool to have!

9. Painkaos

Painkaos Registered

hello, is it possible that someone provides me with his workspace?

hallo, ist es möglich dass mir jemand seinen workspace zur verfügung stellt? hab gerade nicht die nerven mich da durch zu boxen ;)

10. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

@Lazza
    Hey,
    Could you post a newer Channel list?
    At NARS on CMS Racing, we're presently running the GT1C mod from APEX and their HDV Plugin section has this:

AerodynamicSensor=1
    EngineSensor=1
    SuspensionSensor=1
    TireForceSensor=1
    TireTemperatureSensor=1

The only list I could find in here dates back to V0.78 so I was wondering what were those compared to what you list ?

Thank You for the 'shed load' of work you're doing here.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think my channels have changed since 0.78, hence no update in that post.

They don't align with the hdv "sensors", they're more in line with the default i2Pro project and what rF2 spits out.

MotherDawg likes this.
  12. shootingbrake

shootingbrake Registered

@Lazza
    Hello Lazza,
    thanks for the plugin tool.
    I have a question: is there a channel for the track height, e.g. wheel vertical movement available?
    I searched through the advanced channels and found there is one called "wheel Y location". I tested in rF2 with 5km/h driving over a big curbe. the channel "wheel Y location" showed me there was only about 6mm difference. I dont think this is the height of the curb.

zaphman likes this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi,

The few times I've actually looked at those values they seemed about right; bear in mind they're relative to the car body. So when you hit a kerb the wheel will move up a bit, but the car body will start to move upwards as well and that will limit how much the wheel ultimately moves relative to it.

If you think of it in terms of sitting on a see-saw, your head moves quite a lot up and down relative to the ground, but relative to what you're sitting on it doesn't move up and down much at all (plus, won't directly correspond to the 'world' height).

I don't think I'm outputting the raw data you'd need (along with some other measurements you'll need to work out yourself) in order to calculate the actual world location of each wheel; no one's ever asked for the vehicle X,Y,Z location, and realistically it's not really useful information for i2Pro analysis - it's more something you'd use if you were making your own tool, like a trackmap.

14. Han131

Han131 Registered

Hi Lazza, just checking in, has there been any update that might include the option that was discussed in reference to the ability to change the naming format for the data?

The original message is as follows for your reference, this was message #766 on page 39 as of 1st of July 2021. :

Hi Lazza, thanks for the reply.

So currently, all logged data will comes out in this format (YYYY-MM-DD - hr-mm-ss - Circuit - session)
    Was wondering if there can be an option where we can change the order of these just like how we can change the directory of the logged data, and also maybe include other options such as Driver Name or Vehicle etc (can be based on motec's selection column in the Open Log File window)

So perhaps it can be done by creating separate bit code for each syntax that make up the logged data name such as:

Logged data name: (0 - 1 - 2 - 3)
    // 0 = date (YYYY-MM-DD)
    // 1 = time (hr-mm-ss)
    // 2 = Circuit
    // 3 = session
    // 4 = Driver Name
    // 5 = Vehicle

And we can then change it according to what we like such as (0 - 4 - 5) which will result in (YYYY-MM-DD - Driver Name - Vehicle) or even (0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5).

Is that possible or perhaps abit too cumbersome to do?

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

16. Han131

Han131 Registered

17. shootingbrake

shootingbrake Registered

Hi Lazza,
    thanks for your reply.
    If the Y location is the relative wheel movement, then everything can be interpreted. My purpose is to optimize damper in MATLAB with recorded road profils.
    For those who also trying to calculate road profil from telemetry data, following measurements are needed:
    1. a = distance from front axle to CG
    2. b = distance from rear axle to CG
    3. tf = front track
    4. tr = rear track
    5. theta = vehicle pitch angle
    6. psi = vehicle roll angle
    7. delta-Y = WheelYLocation_i - WheelYLocation_reference
    8. delta-Tdef = TireDeflection_i - TireDeflection_reference
    pay attention to the signs. and at the end a reference road height should be added.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This means it can't open the input log file, which is a bit strange. Can you attach your whole damplugin output file here?

19. Ricky Law

Ricky Law Registered

here it is, Lazza

Attached Files:

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The last entry has quite different data and log folders - did you change them while trying to fix this error?

Can you attach your error log as well? Unless the folders you've selected are inaccessible, I can't see any obvious problem.