Released Latest Release Candidate - June 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Latest Release Candidate - June 2021

For those adventurous simracing souls! Try out the release candidate and let us know what you think :)
    Full details and changelog are here:
    https://www.studio-397.com/2021/06/latest-release-candidate-june-2021/

how_to_remember_password.gif

We ask that you please stay on topic and focus on reporting issues, or giving your valuable feedback, thanks!
    Enjoy! :)

2. jondolar

jondolar Registered

HELP!!
    I just updated and now the ferrari and mclaren appear in competition, but not the usf2000 and 60 ring :(
    do I have to change to the stable version?

3. Christopher Elliott

You need to switch back to opt out to run the public competitions. What you are seeing is test comps running only on RC :)

4. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

5. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Good job !

I hope S397 will be a bit more aggressive to push Release Candidate to Stable quickly.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  6. jondolar

jondolar Registered

ok thanks

7. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Yeah good job overall this past 6 months.

SSR looks good on static shot but it's a bit unstable when in motion... probably a features i'll never turn on but looks promising if the 'flickering' can be reduce.

Some nice fix and addition about the UI... having said that the UI development in general should have evolve a lot more since the initial release... It was fine for a first release but now... meh... especially considering the effort the community is doing with project such as 'better Ui' and 'next gen UI'... they pretty much show 'in vivo' some universally obvious modifications needed.

r00b Driver and Adam Helyes like this.
  8. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Initial thoughts, very nice RC update. Theres plenty in there to have a look at.

One thing ive noticed so far, and I know its WIP, but on Sebring in the rain, the reflections look pretty good for the most part, I can even see puddles developing (in VR) but sometimes the reflections seem to vanish and then come back in again.
    Tried it on Algarve, non-DLC track and this seemed more noticeable, especially when the track turns from a drak to light tarmac and vice versa.

Good to see the ongoing development

9. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

New release candidate v. 06/10/21
    Load track, sebring, ferrari gt3 and gt3
    Loading time.
    1. times 5.15 min
    2nd time crash to desktop
    3rd times 1.40 min
    4th times 2.25 min
    I think it's taking too long!
    Sebring Replay, same selection.
    - Stuttering when switching from mini replay view to large view! For about 5-8 seconds!
    In between there were small stutters in the replay.
    Was better before.
    I think you have to improve it!

Balazs Magyar likes this.
  10. David Crespo

David Crespo Registered

The reflection of the digital flags does not look very real, the reflection is more visible than the flag itself, perhaps attenuating the intensity a bit to make it a little more subtle would look better.

.In the setup and configuration window you could make the tiles smaller and thus eliminate the annoying scroll bar.

11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

too many crashes trying to set key binds
    double click on key doesnt responce and crash very fast

12. Christopher Elliott

We're you joining a server?

13. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

Please make button to skip startup wizard. I lost my wheel settings and got wrong steering wheel rotation after wizard. I have G27 and game does not detect it because controller name in system Logitech G27 Racing Wheel USB and in game profile name don't have USB. It should be buttons to skip controller and subscriptions pages. If I already have managed my subscriptions before, it override and downloads content that I should delete again manually because I can't skip. Also there no explanation what content is premium and what not. I was confused on that screen a lot. Please add more info on what content it includes.

[​IMG]

14. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

But what a deception this ssr is... test on SPA, it's not really beautiful... what was the project?
    on the other hand it's a nice picture but in game in the cockpit, sorry but it's not beautiful... no more value... even on the replay the effect is not good the shadows have clipping it's blurry it looks like the image is "pitted" I wanted to test other circuits but 5mn loading time for crasyh no thanks...
    good luck!

Alexandr Meshkov likes this.
  15. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Release Candidate
    Race - 19 AI - all GT3
    Sebring 12hours

0-100% first load 3.40 min
    0-100% 2nd load 1.20 min
    0-100% 3rd load and after 1.20min

I use Nvme 970 Evo plus 2To.
    Nothing bad for the best of the best FFB/physics, I can wait 1.20min.....

About the new build : Thanks, I will test later, cause I have not much time, and I have not found a fast way to have a simple wet track....

16. McNolo

McNolo Registered

Hello,

I have a question about the new SSR system. The old plane reflections system ("ReflectPlane" and "Reflectedenv") are completely ignored? If so, does that assume all those lines can be removed from the SCN file?

As a suggestion, it might be interesting to create a list of objects that can be excluded from reflection, perhaps because one of them does not look good or for some other reason.

Thanks.

atomed, Chris Lesperance and lagg like this.
  17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Are you sure that everything is setup properly? I am running most settings on high and I got to say sometimes I couldn't say if what I was seeing was photorealsitic or not, especialy from the cockpit view in the Ligier. I don't like that "photorealistic" term in video games, but the implementation here in rF2 is very good. it's pretty much on the same level as the Madness engine and ACC with UE4, while I prefer the implemenation in rF2 as it looks more natural and subtle. Madness engine makes even a little shower look like a thunder storm. That said, there is room for improvement, especialy when reflecting cars. Right now, the headlights and some other parts like windows and wheels aren't reflected and there seem to be issues with the undertray shadows in replays. And with those recent updates it becomes even more apparent that the particle system needs an update. We need better rooster tails, tire surfaces that look wet, little spray from each tire and further down the line sparks, dirt and other little stuff to make wet weather racing feel more gritty.

Btw, the clouds look better, but going forward it might be really a good idea to think about an implementation similar to iRacing with the Cumulus clouds building up in different sizes. The low cloud layer in rF2 simply destroys the whole image with everything that is on a top notch level surrounding it. You have an image that looks allmost on the same level as UE4 games with a very nice sky gradient and all of a sudden the 2D cloud layer appears and takes all the immersion.

On another note: it's great to see that we can finaly sort all collums in the packages section. One more missing feature removed from my list. But alot more to go. Besides that, the recent updates have been very good, especialy for older content. :)

bobbie424242 likes this.
  18. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

If you like it, good for you, personally I don't find the effects great, AMS2 and ACC are far ahead in terms of "photorealism" and I manage to get 90fps+ while rf2 is between 35 and 50fps, I think I have to lower the effects on rf2.

19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

That's a bit wierd when you get btween 35 and 50 fps. What kind of settings and hardware are you running? The problem that I have with AMS2 and ACC rain effects is that they don't look realistic from the cockpit view, but only really with the photo mode that both games offer. In motion it looks like a Michael Bay action movie. :D

20. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

AMS 2 (cartoon) :
    499642-cars-route-66-la-nouvelle-attraction-cars-a-disneyland-paris-2.jpg

ACC (blurry pixelised):
    olwdn8lq7xh11.png

rF2 (photorealism)
    20210324002949_1.jpg

C-Dric, ebeninca, Badboy and 4 others like this.