Competition System Blog | Week 16

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, May 19, 2021.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

jayarrbee36, yashiman and lagg like this.
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

@Marcel Offermans

The Offline portion of the Comp System will be far less attractive if the current and long-standing AI issues are not dealt with before this area comes to light.

It's been five years of S397 development (i think!) this year and with the acquisition of Motorsport Games there is more resources to gather from to help aid RF2 going forward, as what was written in the press release. With this in mind, the continuing priority of the AI issues relentlessly dropping down the list year after year after year has worn very thin.

As an avid fan of the franchise for 15+ years and particularly of RF2 since 2012, I have long since stood by the decisions of ISI and then S397 in patiently waiting for the most blatant AI issues to be dealt with. Unfortunately my patience has simply vanished, I've been fully respectful of the decisions from both owners of the Sim over the years but now I'm simply disappointed that AI gets continually ignored.

The Slipstream or lack thereof should've been fixed when Le Mans was released, the braking on/off should've been fixed long ago especially when it was admittedly made worse by S397, faster endurance cars not overtaking slower cars on their in lap should've been dealt with when the cars were first released. (Many other AI refinements could've and have waited long enough).

Sorry/not sorry for the rant, as a long time fan I've simply had enough of waiting and as anyone around here knows me they know full well how much I've stood up in your defence on this subject - not anymore.

Please either deal with these issues or just tell us that you have no plans to fix them once and for all, I don't really want to wait another five years for the AI to finally get some attention.

Thank You.

3. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Fair enough, @MarcG I will be the first to admit that "fixing the AI" has not been on our agenda for quite a while. It's likely it will take a while longer for us to get to them, which is another reason for us to first complete the "online" part of the competition system. For the offline part we fully realize that several fixes are in order (and long overdue). We will be testing your patience for a bit longer. And I don't mind you (or anybody else) criticizing me. It can only help us going forward, even if the progress is way slower than you hope and expect.

4. Pales

Pales Registered

One thing that I have immediately taken from that is, there is still no clear direction or timeline. Truly astonishing given that the issues highlighted above are the three fundamental flaws of the offline portion of the game. 'Take a while longer' could be multiple years if you factor in how long it has taken for UI development (which I would argue offers less functionality than the existing UI and is not even finished..). Additionally, the online portion of the game is never going to be 'complete' as they will always want to add in more creative ideas which will result in the priority changing each month. All in all, disappointing, but not surprising. Purposely vague, no timeline, and likely never going to be done.

Welcome to rFactor 2....where the AI have been on the "things to do" for nearly five years.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thank you your reply Marcel, I wish you every success - as ever - with RF2 and future projects.

6. bears

bears Registered

Even if you picked one of the three and committed to fixing it by the end of year as a stretch target...that would give some tangible hope to offline players.

7. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Is there a way you can implement race results history? For example for GTC I right now have no idea where I finished last race, since the standings in the comp system in game have not been updated yet. And since I can't find the race results back, I cant calculate myself where I ended up after the penalties

edit: they were right, but I didn't know because there are no race results

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  8. Julien Lemoine

Julien Lemoine Member

Hello S397 and community,
    I have several questions regarding the CS :
    1) What were the technical constraints you encountered during the creation and still now in relation to the CS and the integration in the game?
    2) Is an entrylist system that fixes car, name & surname to a file for solo and crew races under consideration? Both for CS and for multiplayer?

3) In the most far-fetched parameters that can be created, is it possible to make a series that changes car and track every time?

Thank you for taking the time to read.

9. Robes

Robes Registered

Very disappointing to hear there is no movement on updates for offline races. I find it confusing how this portion of the sim has actually gone backwards over the years.

10. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

With the rF250 we will have the first oval race ever in the CS. Normally every driver has a spotter on this type of track. So could we have a spotter in CS races some day?
    Correction @Remco Majoor : A friend as a spotter/spectator

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  11. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I think I heard my spotter when I got alongside another car

12. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

I use the Crew Chief plugin as my spotter for oval racing. It works really well and is extremely customizable.

pkelly likes this.
  13. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

Yeah I use it too. But it cant predict what other people will do, especially when they make a mistake. Had that in GT Challenge on monday where a driver lost it into T1 at Indy GP. This spotter could not tell me if I should speed up or slow down to avoid it. Got lucky there but it would be nice to have a "real" spotter :)

14. Julien Lemoine

Julien Lemoine Member

4) There are a few of us developing a server automation system. I myself am developing a system that automates multiple servers from multiple games and it's all managed from one site and it works. Do you plan to integrate some of us into the CS to make the system even better and accelerate the speed of compatibility of certain things that are essential for certain types of races, notably plugins for ovals? I'm thinking in particular Gunther with APX and me.

guenther likes this.
  15. instinkt

instinkt Registered

when I will be able to change my name inside comp system?

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Looked at the comp section for first time last night looks nice
    Do the series stay the same
    Eg if I start to get into one of the series it will not suddenly change to a completely different car ?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can see all the events in the series. I wouldn't bank on the same car after that.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Cheers
    when it gets to the end of this season the car that one chooses to practice in etc may no longer have a season eg gone from the system ?

If so not really worth getting involved imo
    unless it’s looked upon as a slapstick just jump in type of event
    Many users in iracing will run maybe 10 to 15 seasons over a couple of years to acquire a good standard

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I guess if we had 5000 players on there every day you could expect 6-8 solid ongoing series forming some sort of progression. We had an initial rush here, now it's more a case of keeping the (fewer) players interested. Plus let's not forget it's still beta...

Adrianstealth likes this.
  20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I’ll keep my eyes on it
    Instead of taking series away to add new ones they should simply add the odd new one to make the system bigger , oldest only beta right now & could be really great

iracing s system is straight & simple -winning formula , rfactor 2’s doesn’t have to be anywhere near as big but simply copy that winning formula
    It will organically grow as a result
    People will then pay -I would