Game Freezes Randomly

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by DiscoBiscuit, May 20, 2021.

1. DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit Registered

Hi Everyone.
    My game continuously freezes and stutters and has become unplayable. I just updated to the newest update in the hope this would resolve things but still have the same issue. When I use the auto AI mode the game is fine, I think it may be related to my Fanatec DD1 Wheelbase.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? The game freezes and I have to press escape over and over to get out.

I'm playing on Windows 10 and have the most recent Nvidia updates and Windows updates. I have updated all my Fanatec Software and also tried rolling back the drivers but nothing helps. It's driving me crazy as I haven't been able to enjoy Rfactor 2 for about a month now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Using a standard car and track? What are your system specs?

3. redapg

redapg Registered

@DiscoBiscuit Maybe this Thread can help you, even if it was not solved there.
    Read it from the Beginning on.

4. DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit Registered

Hi Lazza, thanks for the response.

My PC specs are: i7 8700 16gb RAM Rtx 2070. Running on A SDD drive.

Yes, have tried to load both official content car/track combo and modded. Both freeze randomly and I need to hit escape.

As I said in the thread, when I activate auto mode/AI mode the game runs fine but then I'm obviously not controlling the car.

When I take AI mode off and take control game freezes after a few seconds. Very frustrating.
    I've tried file integrating check and a clean install but nothing solves the issue.

Many thanks

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@DiscoBiscuit does it just pause/stutter, or does it completely lock up?

To separate some strange CPU/physics issue from a potential wheel issue, try unplugging the wheel and load the game, maybe assign a few keys to the basic controls, then see if you can 'drive' the car. If there are still problems the cpu graph (Ctrl-C in car) may shed some light, though a full lockup it probably won't show much at all.

If the keyboard works fine, you might need to check your wheel drivers, or work out what's causing it... (someone here might be able to assist)

6. DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit Registered

Hi everyone. So I seem to have solved the issue. I read the thread that @redapg shared and created renamed my user data folder. It was missing the controller folder inside so I copied it from my old user data folder and pasted it in. Works perfectly now .

There seemed to be a conflict of some sort with the controller files. It has taking me around a month to resolve but thanks to everyone for their input. I thought the game was broken and ready to give up on beloved Rfactor 2. Long live Rfactor

redapg and Ricky Law like this.