unsubsribed from all but game didnt shrink

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karlis Vitols, May 15, 2021.

1. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

hi
    recently my rF2 steam folder grew up like mammoth.
    i unsubsribed from all but game didnt downsize..
    every day steam veryfies installation and i have no free space on game disc anymore.
    What folders i can delete to get "like a clean" installed game with payd content only?
    game is 72gb
    packages is 4.7Gb
    but here is a trick:
    my game disc is 150gb
    acc+rf2 is 86gb
    and stamapps are 144gb... (i have only 2 games in steam)
    what to do?

2. redapg

redapg Registered

The Problem is, that everything gets stored twice (at least for rF2).
    Check the Folder ..Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960, where everything that you have installed in rF2 is stored as packed Content (rfcmp), that gets installed from there then.
    So you can add acc+rf2+..Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\Subfolders

EDIT
    What you could do (i don't know if it was asked somewhere before already), is to ask S397 why this double Storage is necessary for rF2.
    I also have ACC installed and for that Game for Example, there is no ..\workshop\content\ Subfolder.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    mantasisg likes this.
  3. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

ah... thanks.
    i reinstalling from scratch.

4. redapg

redapg Registered

Before you do that, check if really all Content from that you did unsubscribe, was uninstalled and also the Folders with it's rfcmp in the Subfolders of ..Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\ was removed.
    If that is the Case now, a fresh install wouldn't change anything.

5. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

Buy a bigger SSD.

They're cheap enough, it's not worth your time faffing about trying to claw back a GB at a time.

With all the future content and upgrading of old content, you'll need it at some point anyway.

McKiernan and EricW like this.
  6. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

If you have been doing a lot of online racing then you might have a build up of Server Mods. Other names for these Server Mods are 'Race Events' or 'Series'. These do not use up much space, but they do stop the game from uninstalling tracks and cars that they are tied to.
    To delete these Mods, load the program 'ModMgr.exe' found in .....\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64 and uninstall these 'Mods'

Also, you are also free to delete the contents of your 'Package', 'Replay', and 'CBash' folders.
    'CBash' is found in \rFactor 2\UserData\Log\CBash

svictor likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Does deleting the Cbash cause the cache rebuild or is it the shaders being delted? (they are always mentioned in one breath so I don't know which of the two, or both, that wipes the cache) Anyhow, either the Cbash or Shaders, deleting those will slow down your first re-loading of any track you have previously driven.

9. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

To Dave. Yes the next time he loads a track, the Cbash for that track will be regenerated. Because the OP said he has UnSubscribed from all workshop items then he will have Cbash files in there that he will no longer have use for. I don't think these files get deleted by the game when you uninstall the tracks.
    And yes, first time you load a track will take longer while this Cbash file is generating. Shaders are a different folder.

10. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

ok. something goes wrong:
    backstory - everything started yesterday, when rF2 started download all 397 workshop items... (why? i dont know)
    then i found game increased twice a big in size
    now, i reinstalled it - and game again started to download all 397 items
    uninstall
    i multiple times checked stem browser profile to check UNSUBSCRIBE FROM ALL WORKSHOP ITEMS
    installed game 3.3GB or something
    some download - i asume my purchased items 23gb
    NOW
    rF2 again starts validation process and from nowere in drive appears some 70gb..
    and most ridicilus part is my puchased items are not visible in game - only some chevrolet pace car - thats a only car in my rf2
    games by itself starts to download all workshop items (i unchecked the unsubscribe box before)
    rF2 validates already for some 5h and validation stuck in somewere 1/8 from all...
    what is going on?

Nieubermesch likes this.
  11. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

That's quite a mess man! Well, my RF2 folder has 107 GB and workshop Content folder has 80GB! I am not sure how much should be with all official content that you've bought. 70gb is what I expect, because it will be installed content that is extracted from the workshop mod folder, wich will not be auto deleted afterwards. The only way to delete that folder is to duplicate those files inside. After that you can unsubscribe from those mods and installing those duplicate files manually. Now you can delete those duplicate files and mantain your installed content.

I am not sure if RF2 is subscribing to it's own base content, not third party mods or not. I had an issue where the download would never end, but I don't remember how I fixed that. Probably trial and error.

Oh, I think the pace car is just a matter of going to Race menu and under Single player, you need to have selected "All cars and tracks" as it might be selected some other "series".

Try to delete RF2 folders on Steam subfolders and unsubscribing. After that restart your computer. Then you try to install everything again.

Hope it works.

12. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

uh...
    solved (dont ask me how)
    question:
    i backed up my player folder (for controls and graphic setings)
    can i drop it back in rf2 folder and replace or i need "mangle" something?
    is there some subscribed to workshop info and needed data?

Nieubermesch likes this.
  13. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Well, I think you can, but backup the original folder just in case, as you can also juat replace the needed files, instead of the whole folder.

I think when I had this issue I needed to either restart steam or the whole computer, after unnistalling the game and unsubscribing from all items.

14. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

[QUOTE="DJCruicky, post: 1068608, member: 28765"
    To delete these Mods, load the program 'ModMgr.exe' found in .....\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64 and uninstall these 'Mods'

[/QUOTE]
    im trying to test program, but it dont show any mod. refreshing etc, emty window.
    my steamapps are in D:/
    mod manager shows correct path but dont show up any mod

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can you show a screenshot of your modmgr when it's open? It can help clear up what's going on...

16. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

17. redapg

redapg Registered

Set the correct Path to the Packages Folder in the Field "Packages Dir:" at the right bottom.
    ..\bin64\Packages is not where your Packages Folder is (normally).
    Click on the Button B to add a new Path.
    Sorry @Lazza, i just was online when the Post showed up. :)

EDIT and also set the Working Dir Path to ..\rFactor2 without the Bin64

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    DJCruicky and Lazza like this.