Gear/Clutch problem

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by stanbu, May 11, 2021.

1. stanbu

stanbu Registered

I am having a problem in rfactor2 with gears. I have a Thrustmaster Ferarri legend wheel and have no problems with other sims (PC2, F1, Grid autosport, ) . When driving in manual gear mode with auto clutch setting the gears jump into neutral at random during races. Have checked settings and cant find any cure. Your help please.

2. lagg

lagg Registered

This usually happens because you press both padles at the same time (gear uo nd gear down)
    There is an option to avoid this in the controller.json called "Alternate Neutral Activation"

3. stanbu

stanbu Registered

Thanks lagg . I found the controller.json file and the `alternate neutral activation`, but what do I do with it.
    Incidentally I`m not pressing both paddles, but it seems to happen when I slow for a corner and then accelerate out of it.
    The car goes into neutral and I`m all over the road (and grass).

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

make sure you do not have any of the R,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 gears assigned in the controller menus. Those should be blank. Then use the paddles assigned to upshift and downshift. I have Neutral assigned to a key I don't need and then use the paddles to do all shifting AND use the downshift/upshift at the same time to hit neutral which then allows another downshift to reverse. By keeping Neutral assigned to a key, that prevents you rapidly downshifting thru the gears into neutral by mistake. Learn the double paddle pull whenever you need neutral and it will become a muscle memory after a while and you'll never even think about it.

lagg likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Check that you don't have anything assigned to Neutral in the controls.

Is it possible it's double downshifting occasionally? There's another setting "repeat shifts" in either the controller or player file for that (a value of 2 or 3 will usually work).

If it's neither of that or the alternate neutral, you might need to try and work out exactly when and how it's happening - sounds like a strange one.

(Dave's approach above is the other option)

lagg likes this.
  6. stanbu

stanbu Registered

Thanks Dave,
    I did as you suggested and it seems to have worked. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    thanks again, stanbu

davehenrie likes this.