I am missing something (new HUD?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Karas, Apr 30, 2021.

1. CRMS

CRMS Registered

>I took it to mean a new HUD system,..
    So a new overlay on the game graphics??
    Rather than improvements to the in game graphics with the info displayed in the steering wheel screen??
    I reckon the data is in the game - the lap diff is definitely present as HUD and Overlay add ons can display it.
    I don't know if it is possible to mod the FE car elements in rF2??

2. lagg

lagg Registered

As the FE is encrypted content, only S397 can change elements of the car (for example the dashboard).
    But modders could do a HUD or an overlay with SImHub or similar.

CRMS likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, I would take it as a new overlay system rather than steering wheel enhancements. My second line/paragraph was about that aspect, which as I said hasn't really progressed at all.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the data - the data is definitely in the game, and the info the HUDs already provide is provided by the game to the HUD elements. Tools like Simhub I believe would use similar data available via telemetry. But all the current data is fairly superficial, the marriage to the setup options is tenuous, and actual car systems (like specific, custom pages, dialog, controls) is non existent.

PS If you 'Reply' you can edit out anything you don't want to reply to, and the person you're replying to also gets a notification for their info. > doesn't do anything.

4. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

So for me:
    HUD -> ingame information on the screen when sitting in the car
    Overlay -> For broadcast OR often also used for 3rd party HUDs
    Dash -> 3D cars cockpit dash

And they used the word HUD, while they use the word overlay for their broadcast system

5. jepeto

jepeto Registered

me i have put only DAMP plugin in sofware and that s enough i think
    i let studio 397 to detrmin the config with realease candidate i use it s very nice and pratic

6. CRMS

CRMS Registered

Thanks.
    Now I am confused.
    Both HUD and Overlay seem to me to be info overlayed on the game graphics. Eg the HUD and Overlays in SimHub. The Overlays in my SimHub just seem to be simpler one line HUDs. I am trying to make a one line overlay with the lap diff.
    Eg the SimHub Leaderboard (SHL) which I have on a second monitor. Plus Psql F1 2019 Dash which I have on 2nd monitor with SHL on top so I can see the lap diff times.
    Is "Dash" the rF2 native game information and displayed irrespective of any HUDs and Overlays loaded. Including the Steering Wheel Screen and rF2 message boxes.
    Is that correct??

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No.

Dash would mean the stuff displayed on the car model (Dash screen, steering wheel).

HUD is the stuff you can toggle with 3, 4, 5 in the car.

Overlay is the new leader board and info screens used for broadcasts.

*Edit: Sorry, 4,5,6 when in the car. (the keys above the letter keys on your keyboard). 3 is to toggle the mirrors :D

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  8. EricW

EricW Registered

The HUD development is imo important for the overall image of RF2.
    I understand people who own almost all official content and are used to the current HUD are not waiting for changes.
    But to be fair, it's severely outdated.
    Third party Overlays are a pain in VR and in pancake mode the data output is limited or restricted.
    Therefore you don't get access to ingame data you'd like to display.
    And imo especially when you attent endurance sessions, you can't only rely on 3rd party mods and you need direct contact with e.g. a team member to check some stuff.
    While it's maybe realistic, it's not realistic offline or when you race alone.
    I'm happy to hear it's in development.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think that's true.

10. EricW

EricW Registered

In some reactions on this forum I taste a repeating sense of fear of change and imo to often references to RF2 being basically a modding platform.
    While this is partially true, some basic features of the game/sim are in place but simply outdated and need mods to fill up the gaps.
    What's in should function, and should be maintained up to current standards imo.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

When people point out a third party solution (or partial solution) to fill a gap in the game, it's precisely because they know it hasn't been fixed in x years and won't be fixed next month.

Too often people then read between the lines and decide rF2 fans are happy with how things are. Ask and you'll find out different.

EricW, lagg and Kevin Karas like this.
  12. EricW

EricW Registered

Clear agree,
    I bought it (again) when S397 took over, and simrace for roughly 30 years, so I'm informed and still following.
    But I'm of the kind that is not that easily satisfied, not that I want to steer things up,
    Just Keep giving feedback while it's in their own interest and eventually better for us as users.

13. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Yeah that was actually the initial thought behind my OP. I wanted to create a new discussion about the HUD, also to maybe push it back into the minds of the devs

14. DerrickM

DerrickM Registered

I see this discussion was in May 2021, almost a year ago now. Still, nothing has been addressed. We don't have to invent a "new wheel". Someone could just copy any modern steering wheel to present the necessary information. If not, copy other games. I remember in Project Cars, there was an overlay showing the 4 wheels with yellow circles around them that would expand and shrink depending on the grip each wheel was experiencing as the car circled the track. If that's too complicated at least change the purple and pink display of tire temp and condition. Modern Codemasters F1 has everything I need to know on the steering wheel. I usually have all overlays off unless I change pit strategy or confirm any damage.

15. Leynad

Leynad Registered

I've tried SimHub-overlays the first time this week and immediately had screen-freezes, possibly also because of alt-tabbing out few times to tweak it. People say alt-tab is causing crashes, but it might be just a problem in combination with an overlay. So I guess many stability-issues might be fixed if a proper ingame-HUD makes 2nd-party overlays more or less obsolete.

16. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Try using left window key and D key instead of alt-tab. I always use window-D without problems, I also use Simhub.