AI Performance: Same Track, Different Cars. Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by prceurope, May 4, 2021.

1. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Does anyone know why the AI on the same exact settings is 2-3s faster in some cars and 2-3s slower in others, same class?

Also, in the Cadillac DPi at Sebring, I am 3s faster than the AI on 95% (I am nothing special, in the low 1:51s with no setup changes). The AI is at 1:54. But in a LMP3, with the exact same session settings, the AI is a full 4s faster than me. My braking needs work in the LMP3, but why am I so much faster than the AI with the DPi? :eek:

2. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

What your describing also happens with other sims, the only way around it is to set the AI for that particular car and track combination to suit your pace. The LMP3 is not the same class Cadillac DPi, it will also vary with different car mods. It's annoying to have to set AI for different track and car comb's, it would be nice to be able to set an overall AI level that worked with all comb's but that's not possible at the moment.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It is my belief that the AI cars are not BOP'd for solo play. I 'think' someone like Rudy Van Buren drives the cars til they are equal for online racing. I also believe they do not try and equalize the cars at several different tracks. Remember the name of the company, it is based on the lap record at Le Mans. Remember too that the Virtual 24hr event will be held again this early Summer and pretty much all development work is pointed at that online event.
    Regarding Dpi vs LM3. Dpi has traction control & LM3 does not. About the only aid allowed in LM3 is power steering.

Ever since S397 began work on the User Interface and the Competition system, pretty much all solo play work has either been delayed or stopped. You are asking about solo play issues and that is just not a focus, at this time, of the company.

prceurope likes this.
  4. Stockers

Stockers Registered

Noticed the same thing with the AI GTE Ferrari v the AI Porsche & Astons. The Ferrari is anything from 1.5 - 2.0 seconds slower at:-

Spa
    Silverstone
    Kyalami
    Algarve
    Dubai
    Nurburgring
    Fuji

prceurope likes this.
  5. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Perhaps I could have worded my post better - I know the P3 and the DPi are different classes (I watched the 12h of Sebring recently) :D I was also very lucky to jump in a P3 at Magny Cours a few years back. If you are in W Europe and want to drive at MC, check out http://www.xpdeveloppement.com/ Xav is "la classe."

What I am referring to is the large gap in performance the AI shows from one car type to another, and it appears from track to track, which I think you are getting at as well.

Thanks!

6. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Interesting. I actually found that the main issue with my P3 times was down to not maximizing the braking force and not an issue with TCS. I was under the impression I was locking up the tyres in the P3 at Sebring because of the vibrations in the wheel, but once I turned the Force Reconstruction Filter off in SimuCube, upped the Damper a bit and set my transducer to only register lock-ups and not road textures, and set the tyre noise high enough to distinguish between tyre wash and lock up, I was able to cut my braking distances considerably.

Strangely enough, however, that did not seem to affect me in the DPi nearly as much as it affects me in the P3. I find the DPi to be a much more forgiving car to drive and the suspension is far superior. The P3 feels real to me - I have never driven any other prototype but I would love to get into a P2 at some point.

7. DucMan888

DucMan888 Registered

Similar issue in single player with multi-class (DPi, Norma LMP3,GTE and GT3) all rF2 content, on multiple tracks of both official and mods. DPi and the Norma seem to group by class for qualifying, the GTE and GT3 on the other hand are scattered about. Most noticeable is the C8.R that qualifies poorly and fails to be able to move up the field during a 200 mile race. I have the AI limiter currently at 10 but have experimented with higher and lower settings with same results.