[WIP] F1 1986

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ChiefWiggum, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Part of the Australian/British qualifying broadcast from 1986 at Adelaide:

Lars, atomed, benborp and 1 other person like this.
  2. RNeves

RNeves Registered

If you see the needle, it poins to 0 when off throttle and on idle, so it should mean 5.5 relative.

3. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thanks Bill. You are right - it seems all the cars from that era use absolute pressure.
    This is what the mod does but I've since found out that the real cars were running 5.5 absolute.

4. Jaromir Bergmann

Jaromir Bergmann Registered

all brabham links dead, pls reupload, thanks

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  5. Corti

Corti Registered

Pauli Partanen and atomed like this.
  6. Justin Smith

Justin Smith Registered

Absolutely love this mod. I am thinking of doing a full season series for my channel but noticed that when I start in practice, I'm just about in the top 6 comfortably in the benetton. But in qualifying, I place the quality tires on, but I'm around 5 seconds of the AI and I'm automatically last ( I do improve my time compared to practice by over a second and the AI is set to 96% strength ). Is there something I'm missing in setup for qaulifying? Sorry to be a pain.

7. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

You probably need to set the qualifying engine in upgrades. But then you can't run that in the race because it won't last and I don't think you can change it during the event.

From what I've read, you're probably better off setting up 2 practice sessions and using the 2nd one as qualifying to set the grid when using AI.

8. Justin Smith

Justin Smith Registered

Thanks for the response. That's the thing, I've gone into tuning and the only thing is the Visor mod and nothing else, no qualifying engine. But I'll try the idea of the practice being the qualifying. Cheers.

9. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

10. jepeto

jepeto Registered

mod fabuleux; par contre il faut le traction controll
    les sons sont magniques
    on voit que chiefwiggum aime cette époque
    bravo et merci
    (dommage qu il n y ait pas de serveur pour rouler ensemble)

doddynco likes this.
  11. AfarNUFC

AfarNUFC Registered

I love Jacarepagua on any f1 car from the 60's through to the 90's (I don't drive anything newer than that :)). Such a great flowing track with endless drifting, can be tricky to overtake but there are possibilities. Wish it still existed, far better than Interlagos IMIO.

Interesting to hear Senna saying how bumpy it was, it's flat as a pancake in most versions I have driven, guess it would have been a little tricky to laser scan something that's not there anymore :)

Eric Rowland likes this.
  12. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi, one good news is that our mod at @doddynco and I (f1 1986 historical edition tracks and cars) will be given an overhaul of the road meshes also when final release.
    With the technical help given by @svictor, the tracks will all have some meshes that mimic the different surfaces and bumps. ;)
    Cheers and stay tuned. ;)

2ndLastJedi, Hazi, Bostrom and 12 others like this.
  13. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Can I just say, that even though all the tracks are old mods, and some aren't the most accurate (or at least feels a bit inaccurate at places). The looks, the feel, the atmosphere is just extremely amazing. Having this brought to rF2 spec and modern tech is absolutely brilliant!

2ndLastJedi, vava74, trollray and 3 others like this.
  14. Jaromir Bergmann

F1 1986 HE: no engine sounds. how do I downgrade to the first version pls? that one worked, thanks

15. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Which version? Can you send the steam link?

16. herve

herve Registered

I have a problem since the RF2 update and the gear changes with 1986 HE. It is impossible for me to start with the Benetton even by putting gas it stalls and suddenly I can not use it. With the Brabham it's limited ... on the other hand with the Mclaren we manage to make the clutch slip. I also regret not being able to do a 5-3 or a 6-4 anymore... like real-life pilots did at the time. Despite the new RF2 update it is still possible I have tested it with other cars but you really have to apply yourself. Otherwise the cars are superb to see and drive (skipping the Mclaren for the terrible noise of its engine which seems winded and more) Congratulations for your work.

Lars likes this.
  17. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Sounds like a clutch linearity issue. RF2 does not allow the mod dev to have a 'biting point', or for the car to have anything but a linear clutch - that's a problem when you're pulling out the pits with less than 100bhp at low revs and you have a clutch that's good for 1300bhp. In this case, the clutch is going to be fully engaged in the first 1/13th of the movement. That's going to cause a lot of people to stall. Obviously, the solution is more revs, and less clutch.

I have slightly increased the engine inertia for the 0.45 (in-progress) version and that will help a bit. It should be a bit of a faff to pull away though, as you can see in this video:

There is a much neater solution, and I think more realistic (clutches are not linear in real life); RF2 allows you to make your clutch controller input non-linear. I suggest going for the max 200% - as this non-linearity is closer to real life, though still far from perfect. In fact I'd suggest everyone do this, regardless of what content they use - I can see no reason not to. The drivetrain simulation in rf2 is quite limited.

I am going to be working on some small turbo amendments in the near future, and this will be towards helping the bmw engines spool up at low revs when under a consistent (low) open throttle input, whilst keeping everything else practically the same. Tricky to get right. But I'm very happy with how the turbo performs in every other aspect and this is tuned very accurately to real performance. I don't want to undo the good work here so I will have to be very considerate.

The 3-5 4-6 shifting is off the table at the moment as linear selection is forced when shift protection in used. You will find the cars where you can still freely change between all gears do not use the 'must use clutch' feature. It's a trade off I'm willing to make for the moment. I think s397 will update this as the Caterham is also affected, much to it's determent.

The sound will be improved. I still have an awful lot of physics to do so I'm staying focussed on that mostly, and not putting too much time into sound as it can be a huge time sink - sometimes for little or no gain. That will come though - it deserves a proper Tag soundtrack.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    atomed, Lars, pkelly and 1 other person like this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I was surprised when you included the Shift Protection. Was it a 'thing' back in '86?

19. doddynco

doddynco Registered

It's not shift protection in the modern sense - I'm simply asking for 80% clutch input as that is as close as I can get to a Hewland 'dog box' style gearbox for now.

I would prefer to use throttle position (even better would be transmission torque), but there is no option to stop an upshift if the throttle/torque is above a certain threshold.

At 80% pressed, the clutch can transfer about 300nm of torque from the engine without slipping, which is around half of peak torque.

Even though clutch use wasn't necessary, the driver could have used the clutch during the race to look after the drivetrain and tyres. So I'm mimicking that. Obviously there's a lot of compromise going on.

20. Jaromir Bergmann

only the very first benetton-only version worked for me. after mod updates no engine sound any longer, the new v0.43.6 for example does not work. all other 1986 mods deleted, up to date rF2 (w/ old menu/GUI tho). how do I get the very first benetton-only version pls? thanks

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023