How to make Steering heavier?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by prceurope, Apr 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'm half tempted to buy the XX just to see if the Radical and Norma feel differently on my CSW 2.5. With the original Radical, there was some concern about the difference in handling between the right and left hand drive. I think I remember reading the XX is right hand drive only.

prceurope likes this.
  2. lagg

lagg Registered

That was corrected in an update.
    Now both are the same.

prceurope and davehenrie like this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

95% of your time and download will be spent getting and installing (hmmm... make that 98%) the same content files you already have. If you move out everything but the Installed folder, which you'll see is disproportionately large, then verify files in steam, you'll have all fresh files with more time to configure and test and maybe work on the next solution...

*and anyway, there's not a lot of concrete evidence here either way regarding your issue - telemetry should show any discrepancy in FFB output.

StuartAM, lagg and atomed like this.
  4. Mary D Frost

Mary D Frost Registered

For what car? For almost anything, you can change the gear thingy-ma-bobbers to have it take less turns of the steering wheel to turn the wheels, and a bit of programming could help with electronic power steering.
    text to speech unlimited is free to use text-to-speech online tool

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  5. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Moving the UserData folder did the trick. However it created a couple of issues:

1. The Controller folder was not rebuilt on restart
    2. The default Steering Effects was 10,000 which caused the wheel to turn right and left on its own
    3. 900 degrees in Simucube TrueDrive no longer allows for each car to override. I have to match each car's steering range and lock to lock in SC.

Do I need to create a Controller folder and move the json file into it? Thanks again.

6. lagg

lagg Registered

Does it mean that the force of the FFB is ok?
    Then we've advanced a bit.

Try copyng the old controller folder to the new Userdata and check what happens.
    The normal value of the Steering Effects should be -10000. That could be the reason of the oscilation.
    Check that you have configured the rotation in this way
    https://www.studio-397.com/2018/11/roadmap-update-november-2018/

Fingers crossed

7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I find that the Radical's (Not Turbo though) have quite an aggressive drop off in SAT, something like AC with the Enhanced Under-steer effect enabled. I believe it's related to the virtual car's inherent steering character, not in general the FFB settings. Of course, SC1 / SC2 Static Force Reduction doesn't help with this issue. I think a solution needs to come by way of tweaks to the car from the dev's if it is to be solved.

I too enjoy the Radicals in general but, don't often drive them for this very reason. On the other hand, the GT3 version steering feel near the threshold of grip is very good, imo. But the drop-off effect (front grip-loss) in the smaller Radicals is beyond what I would expect, and increasing per-car FFB strength only serves to make matters worse.

If you have the rF2 Reiza pack, the MCR steering behavior (related to front grip-loss) is much better there, imo.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Make sure the box in the controllers screens for VEHICLE SET is checked. Then it should work with the 900 degrees in the control panel to automatically adjust each car's steering range.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

When you move the entire UserData folder out, the UserData\Controller folder with all the presets is gone (and that's really the only files in that whole folder that the game won't create itself). Verifying rF2 files in steam will bring those back (as original). Just bear in mind if having issues it's not impossible some of those presets could be part of the problem.

10. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Yessir, it's checked but does not auto-adjust (possibly because there is no Controller folder in the UserData folder?)

Edit: adjusts now by changing the Software Rotation parameter to "TRUE" in the JSON.

Yes!!

Thanks but I don't want to introduce anything that could have caused the corruption of the profile in the first place. I did not veritfy the game files via Steam before restarting - should I do that now or will that over-write the settings in the Controller.json file I have and possibly others?

Edit: I changed the Software Rotation parameter to "true" in Controller.json.

Yes this is why I am hesitant because right now the FFB is good but I have to manually set each steering range in TrueDrive even though the "Vehicle Set" box is checked.

Thanks to all!!

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  11. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Something else I am noticing: if I leave the Reconstruction Filter on 5, for certain cars, I sometimes get uncontrollable rapid-fire vibrations in the wheel. It seems that by switching to 4 or to 6 that the vibrations no longer occur. I am at a loss to understand why they are happening. Any thoughts? (SC2 Pro).

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Based on the description here, that sounds "normal": https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_Firmware_User_Guide#SimuCUBE_Force_Reconstruction_Filter

This sort of processing should be avoided where possible. "Reconstructing" a signal is a hit-and-miss affair where results will vary massively, and will add latency as that guide mentions. I would suggest with rF2 providing FFB at 400Hz there's no need for such processing and reducing latency should be the goal. So I would disable it.

prceurope likes this.
  13. prceurope

prceurope Registered

That's very helpful, thank you. I assumed that since the SC2 TrueDrive's rF2 preset had this FRF at 4, it was their recommended setting for rF2. I set it to 3 and it seemed a lot better, and will try it OFF later today.