Newbie tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sky8lade, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Sky8lade

Sky8lade Registered

Hi guys

I am new here and new to the sim racing world. I played sport's car gt on pc as a kid and that about it. I recently had some time to kill and looked for a good sim game. After some research I bought rFactor2 as the original developers were the same as the SCGT devs. Anyway I just started out with a logitech g920 wheel and am looking to play casually. I always loved Sebring and thought I'd start there. I am using a Renault Megane 2. My question is where can I look for good car setup guides as I'm guessing I'd need to tune the car a bit. I tried a few laps with the Megane at Sebring but it is quite raw so is there any good guides I can look at? Also where would you suggest is a nice track and car to start off at?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sebring can be a bit bumpy but is definitely a great track. The default Megane setup isn't broken at all, so I think you're better off leaving it as is, make sure your game is configured and works correctly (so your steering lock should match the car, and reduce FFB clipping for better feel, make sure you're happy with your FOV, etc), then don't look at setup until you're lapping consistently (within a few tenths, at least) and when you watch your own replays from in- and outside the car you don't notice any glaring mistakes.

Until then you'll just be chasing your tail trying to tweak setups.

Sky8lade and atomed like this.
  3. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

All that is very true, if you get tired of sebring then lime rock and portland are also great options

Sky8lade likes this.
  4. Sky8lade

Sky8lade Registered

Thanks for the advice

5. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

@Sky8lade

I would say focus on these things :

1) Set rFactor 2 correctly (very long, tedious and difficult for a newbie I admit) :

Keys, controller options, FFB, graphics, session settings, difficulty tab......

2) I advise to only use the most realistic car content, which is essentially the S397 DLC and the S397 cars SINCE 2016 (carefully consult the "news" tab of the site to see what has actually been done by S397 and not by ISI (ISI content obsolete on the physics level). Among this content, buy or download a maximum of content that interests you.
    *Choose a car that interests you particularly by avoiding cars faster than GT3/GTE.*

3) Choose one track that fascinates you, beautiful and which has a great interest in terms of physics and layout, which is more or less suitable for all types of vehicles. I suggest SPA Francorchamps, laser scan version of S397.
    Only ride for the next few weeks on this track.

4) Ride only and enormously with this combo, the goal is to ride as much as possible because that is what allows you to progress.
    Keep the standard setup, some will not agree but I recommend removing the ABS and TC (in the game options and in the garage).
    For the moment driving without AI, without rain.

You should progress quickly as well.

Sky8lade likes this.
  6. Sky8lade

Sky8lade Registered

Thank you very much for this. This is very kind of you. Yes, as a noob, this game is quite daunting at the moment. But I will try and sure it will get better.

7. Sky8lade

Sky8lade Registered

Thanks for all the help guys. I have had good progress with regards to driving and getting used to the UI. I used Spa and the Alpine A110 cup car and just practiced a lot with this. I learned the hard way about clicking next session after completing practice and going to qualifying(I wish they added an intro screen or something to confirm the change of session). I ended up clicking next session, didn't notice anything happening so clicked again and skipped qualifying lol. I also learned how pitstops work and also noticed the fuel estimation was completely wrong(the car was using about 5 liters per lap around spa yet the fuel management screen shows it as using much more - not sure why or if I misunderstood it).

But all in all I plan in trying a new car at Spa and practicing more. The driving experience is really good even on my budget setup.