How to make Steering heavier?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by prceurope, Apr 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. prceurope

prceurope Registered

I asked this question on RaceDepartment but the answers were mostly about Caster settings.

I run an SC2 Pro and the prototypes and GT cars in rF2 feel pretty much on point. I tweak them between 80 and 95% car-specific FFB.

However, the Radical SRX steering feels nothing like its real-life counterpart - it's very light and loose for me. Same thing with F3/GP3 and other open wheelers.

Does anyone else have this issue and how do you fix it?
    Thanks!

2. atomed

atomed Member

Try getting simucube settings at 100% and lower the car specific to 20-30%. Other than that you could change some controller.json values, if you want to I can share mine with you, I have SC1 30NM.

prceurope likes this.
  3. lagg

lagg Registered

I think that you can use more than 30%
    I have the OSW Small Mige 21Nm and use from 35-40% in the FFB multiplier of the car that i'm currently using.
    The clue is to check in Motec that you don't have clipping.

atomed likes this.
  4. atomed

atomed Member

The point not to miss is that if you assign less than 100% in simucube settings you are using your wheel less than it actually is capable of, because you lower the power sent to it. It´s easier to clip at lower simucube power and higher FFB multiplier than those two inverted.

PatientRF2fan, Nieubermesch and lagg like this.
  5. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes of course, the power in the driver config has to be configured at 100%
    In my case, i've the Argon and use MMOS, but it's configured in the same way.

Another thing to check is that the "Steering torque capability" of the controller.json has to match with the torke of your engine.

atomed likes this.
  6. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Thanks, I use SC2 @100% and car-specific at 100% in the Radical SRX and it feels super light to me. Is lowering to 20-30% car-specific FFB going to make the steering feel heavier? I thought it was the reverse.

I made sure in SC2 that Static Force Reduction is 0% and I also upped Friction and Inertia but they do not change how light the steering feels. It's a shame because I really enjoy Radicals and open-wheelers but most of them in rF2 have such light steering it's impossible for me to drive them.

7. lagg

lagg Registered

You have something wrong in your config (unless you are Hulk)
    Have you chosen SC2 profile of your Simucube in rF2?
    I see that there are three Pro, Sport and Ultimate.

8. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Definitely not Hulk the footballer or The Hulk either. :)

I have SC2 selected in rF2 and I have the default rF2 TrueDrive profile loaded and turned up to 100%.

I'm on my work Mac now but when I get the rig turned on I will post screens.

p.s. I have SC2 Pro (up to 26Nm?)

lagg likes this.
  9. atomed

atomed Member

I´d say Radicals feel very light overall in rF2, never driven a real life one but I´d think they would be more kart like.

prceurope likes this.
  10. prceurope

prceurope Registered

The thing I don't understand is that the Norma LMP3 feels absolutely right and I have to run it at 85% car-specific or I cannot turn it lock to lock under load.

Put the Radical SRX on the same track, same conditions, same SC2 TD settings and it's featherlite @100%. That's pretty much the only way I know that it's unlikely to be a config issue, but I'd be happy to remedy if it is.

11. atomed

atomed Member

I feel the same, the Norma is absolutely perfect, but don´t know why that doesn´t happen as well with the Radical´s. If you find out share it with us.

RaceNut and prceurope like this.
  12. lagg

lagg Registered

hahaha, in rF2 there is a specific FFB profile called Simucube 2 Pro (25Nm)
    Check that you have this seloected (in rF2)
    I'm at work.
    This night i'll check the SRX force and tomorrow tell you something

atomed and prceurope like this.
  13. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Thanks - my typo, should have written SR3 XX, not SRX.

lagg likes this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Just for clarity, what are the front tire dimensions on the Radical & the Norma? I would 'suspect' the Radical has a smaller width, but I've never looked at that. If his system is working properly for the Norma, then one would assume it is also working properly for the Radical.
    Both cars had a fair bit of Manufactuer input(Well the Duqueine racing team which after the car was in rF2, purchased Norma).
    Weight could also be a factor, Norma meets LMP3 specs which is...900kg? I doubt the Radical is that heavy.(just checked 620kg)

prceurope likes this.
  15. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Dave - thanks. Older GP3s are also very light and the steering is notoriously heavy under load in real life. The SR3 also does not have power steering, so it should have a single-seater open wheel feel to it, but I can steer it with my index finger through Eau Rouge.

LMP3 has power steering.

davehenrie likes this.
  16. lagg

lagg Registered

I have checked the Radical Sr3 XX with the FFB multiplier in rF2 at 100% and the force of the OSW at 100% too, and definetly is not light.
    I did a test some years ago with a F3 and the force was similar.

prceurope likes this.
  17. jepeto

jepeto Registered

with my ts-xw i increase ffb level in the game and modify json controller to max torque and it s very well

18. prceurope

prceurope Registered

https://imgur.com/a/QssiY2x

I have SC2 Pro selected, Strength in TrueDrive = 100%, FFB Multiplier = 100%. Light as a feather. I would do a full reinstall if I thought that might fix it.

19. lagg

lagg Registered

I doubt that reinstalling rF2 is going to solve the problem, because this won't touch your UserData folder (where is located your FFB configuration)
    Move your ..\rFactor 2\UserData folder to another place and run rF2.
    This will create a new UserData folder and shuold reset the FFB to the default config.
    You'll have to config your devices again.
    Keep in mind that in your old UserData are your setups, replays, etc.

prceurope and atomed like this.
  20. prceurope

prceurope Registered

Thanks - when I wrote "full reinstall" I meant also meant purging the existing profile. I back up my setups on GD as a matter of practice.

Got a 4-day weekend coming up so will be diving into it and will share the results!

atomed and lagg like this.