RF2 Nov 2020 Update User Guide and....

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by CRMS, Apr 16, 2021.

1. CRMS

CRMS Registered

1. Is there a guide for the changed version in Nov 2020? I've found a reasonably comprehensive guide on Race Department, but it is for the previous version.
    https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfactor-2-game-guide-and-f-a-q.119019
    and a very brief guide here https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/beginner-guide-for-rfactor2.67795/

2. I'm playing with the Imola circuit and the RSS?? F1 Mercedes. The gearing seems to be too high - I never hit 8th gear on the start/finish straight. I looked at the gear ratios thinking a small change to the final drive should do the trick, but I don't seem to be able to edit it.

3. How do I stop the car flying out of the pits with autopit?? I would be good to be able to sit in the pits and adjust settings. And the car still clobbers the pit wall in autop - thought it was just my bad steering when not in autopit!!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

1. I don't think there's a guide.

2. That's a third party mod, talk to them about it.

3. Turn off autopit.

3. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

4. CRMS

CRMS Registered

>I don't think there's a guide.
    This is really not good enough for a paid game, but typical of lots of them - F1 2020 etc.
    Geoff Hammond's Grand Prix 3 came with a 124 page printed book. I accept that paper manuals are not issued as cost saving etc etc. But the same info should be provided as a pdf file. So it can be at least on a second device for easy referral.
    But to be fair, I see a User Guide has been set up on the website. But it is rather starting at the advanced end - https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/how-to-paint-a-car-with-the-new-material-system
    Rather than at the basics end - eg how to adjust mirrors??
    And a link to save the lot as a pdf.
    It is still quicker to scan through a paper document than scroll electronically.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  5. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Maybe try AI control rather than auto pit have a look through this one perhaps

6. CRMS

CRMS Registered

Thanks. I'll settle down for the movie. Think I'd still prefer a PDF version.

Found a fix to stop clobbering the pit wall. Just reverse into garage a little and leave with full lock on.

7. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

PDF is maybe a bit old school but point taken. Can be tricky trying to distill complicated concepts in either format I guess... ;)

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@CRMS I too prefer the written word, there are dev discussion videos from 2 years ago I've still not watched.

Like many users here I'm also old enough to remember proper printed game manuals, the electronic equivalent is fairly rare these days.

However, given the time it's taken for the new UI and CS to appear, and the fact that more changes will be made (fingers crossed!), I wouldn't expect a nice official user guide anytime soon.

9. CRMS

CRMS Registered

Penny has dropped - it's your movie. Lots of work there. Many thanks.
    Not sure if it is covered, but:
    I'd like to reduce the text size in the "notification" areas on bottom left and right of screen. I guess there'll be a setting in a *.json file somewhere??
    And as I'm a single player, turn off the "connecting to favorite servers" message that appears at the beginning?? Another *.json amend perhaps??
    I was also trying to resume a session from replay as here for the old UI. But get stuck at section 4 as there is no resume button. And it mentions using "Insert" key which my bluetooth keyboard doesn't have.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=560374563

10. CRMS

CRMS Registered

Replay - think it is at the end!!

11. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

I had a JSON file edit for on topic in the video but I left it out in the end. I wanted to try and keep things simple as many of the concepts are complex enough as it is.
    Not sure about the resume from replay - it's in the new UI as well of course but I honestly haven't tested it. Sorry what did you mean exactly by stuck in section 4?

12. CRMS

CRMS Registered

>stuck in section 4 - of the Steam guide at my link.
    But I think I've spotted the resume at 1.37.13 of your movie.

13. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Ah, got it. Yes its on the lower right of the race monitor window...

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

regarding the favoritie server.....simply.....just choose ONE. Click on the favorite server, the list will populate, choose the one with the lowest ping, even if it's passworded. Just one....just choose it.. then from now on, approximately 1 second will be consumed as it searches for just one freakin' server. Yes this solution does not care if you are offline only. It is the best current solution.

Davy Jones likes this.
  15. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

I also remember games with printed manuals, my first PC was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2... I've been trying to keep up with the times though :confused:

16. CRMS

CRMS Registered

Thanks.
    And I had a look at player.json to reduce the size of the text in the notification areas at the bottom left/right of the screen.
    But didn't really spot anything obvious and of course it may set by something else - car??

17. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

I don't think you can modify the size of the HUD elements, maybe try one of the HUD mods from the Steam Workshop. Go to the Workshop for rFactor 2 and search using the word "HUD"