"I'm done with rFactor 2 for now" video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fabian Balle, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

I've seen this video recently and as I'm a big Nascar fan who I want this toppic to get a bit more attention. It shows how much potential not only Stock Car but oval racing in general has in rF2.

BUT it also points out some huge negatives and things that really need to be improved to make it a serious competitor to iR.
    And if you dont want to watch the whole video here is a quick summary of the problemes that he ran into:
    • Great Cars, tracks not so much
    The new Stock Cars released by S379 recently are really good in so many ways. But cars are only one of two parts you need to have a race. And thats where the oval tracks come into play (road courses are great but thats not what Stock Cars are made for). Most of the official ovals were made by 3PA which means they will most likely will never be updated.They look pretty decent but you cant put together an offline race which is caused by the next point. You may now say "But there are my other ovals on the workshop", and you're right. There are some ovals that came out very recently and they look great. It's fun to drive drive them even if you're the only car on track.

• AI in qualy/race/general
    As you probably know AI in rF2 can be great to race against because they can divebomb you sometimes, use a different line to defend the position etc. But on the ovals you have a big difference in times between qualy and race. Qualy can be close and it looks like it's gonna be a good race. But in a race some AI are driving a lot slower then in Q. But at the same time some of them are just rocketing thru the field and leave everyone behind by miles. Additionally you have to say that the AI dont use different grooves which would create great racing.
    Personal note: Indycars at Indy are fine but Stock Cars on both Indy ovals hit the walls in nearly every turn

• Oval racing rules
    I've not tested this myself but it's a big problem shown in the video.
    You can activate a plugin called "Stock Car Rules". Basicly it should simulate a caution in Nascar (for more info click here). But as seen in the video it was not working a only created a local yellow flag. Sure, this mostly affects offline races but if this plugin is not working properly it shows a blue flag when the leader is not really close behind you. The problem with this is that you will get a penalty if you dont let the leader pass you within a certain period of time (which is not the case for Stock cars if you're not familliar with it).

What is you're experience with oval racing / Stock car rules etc? Do you agree or disagree with the points mentioned here or in the video?

2. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

Just tried the Stock car rules in a 25 lap race at Homestead ("Palms Springs" but even the tyre compound is called Homestead)

23 AI, 110% strength, 100% limiter

Qualified P14 but got up to P3 after turn 2. Then my tyres were overheating so hard that I dropped to the back within the next 10 laps. I didnt puch that hard but my tyres were way too hot (guess its just a setup thing). There was 1 AI crashing after I made contact with him and it only was a local yellow flag.

3. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Well you were driving Palm springs too hard. It is a low grip track and you have to take care of your tires.
    But, you definitely got a lot of things right. The AI just do not work well on Ovals. We have guys working on AI for each Oval track and we are making them better for sure. There are a lot of things that still need code updates to make them smarter. For now, the best Oval racing in rF2 is in a League environment. The rules plugin does work well and most leagues use the updated version from Matt Sentell.
    Hopefully were can get an AI update out for Both Cars that will at least help improve the Oval racing. The AI may still be dumb under cautions though.
    As for Indy AI, not sure what happened as they used to run just fine there. We will revisit that again and try to see what happened with that track for the cars.

4. RoWo

RoWo Member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    atomed likes this.
  5. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

RoWo and atomed like this.
  6. atomed

atomed Member

I'm done with rFactor2 for now, I'll come back after lunch.

7. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

As Bill posted you can get the latest on Matt's Discord channel. He is still working on it when time permits. there are a few edge cases he is trying to resolve. but for the most part the plugin works great in an online race. AI still have issues when it comes time to sorting properly for frozen fields. Hence some code needs done to make them smarter.