Competition System Blog | Week 12

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Hello sim racers!

A bit later in the evening that originally planned, however in some of the world it is still Wednesday so we beat the deadline!

Our latest Competition System blog is now live, check it out here - https://www.studio-397.com/2021/03/competition-system-blog-week-12/

As always, please use the comments section below to discuss the blog, and to submit new questions for next week!

CS_blog_2021_03_24_featured_image.jpg

haunetal1990, atomed and lagg like this.
  2. Julien Lemoine

Julien Lemoine Member

Could we see on the CS live weather in relation to the circuit coordinates? With the air & track temperature changing live

3. Lethal

Lethal Registered

Do you intend to bring all the settings of the player.JSON and Multiplayer.JSON files to the new user interface? this prevents pilots from leaving the game to configure something.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

When is this becoming live ?
    ( sorry I’ve been away for a while & I'm very out of date)

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It is in beta now . So that is live. lots of features still to come.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

cheers
    I just opt into beta on steam to try the completion system ?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, the CS is accessible via the standard build, which is the new UI.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

As Lazza stated, any of the HTML based UI versions have the comp system. Just choose the RACE tab then the black section to the far right. You will be presented with open series that you can sign up for. Once signed up you will see the upcoming times, just make sure you return within 15 minutes prior to the start and you'll be registered...Timer counts down and you automatically are sent to the track.

Remember, for series using DSL like a GT3 event, you need every friggin' car in that category. Free cars and tracks are also available.

9. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

With the option to have the wiper and headlights turn on automaticly in the new release candidate, could we see a series that only races at night or in the rain when this feature is integrated into the "normal" game so that nobody will have troubles with it?

10. Taris Henrique

Taris Henrique Registered

Thanks for answering me on the blog. I have another suggestions... The competition system need to live outside of the game to make it more "public". Something in the style of Liveracers, Race2play, SimRacing-GP, or rF2LogAnalyzer Everybody like to see the schedule or standings, or subscribe in one competition in our Smartphone or PC. Always have to open the game only to make this actions isn't the best practice to make this happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Taris Henrique

Taris Henrique Registered

12. Jesus Garay R

Jesus Garay R Registered

Good, it would be possible to place an icon or something easily visible to distinguish the competitions where all the content is free from those that contain some paid element, (for example a "*" in paid content). As well as facilitating the purchase in a different way than the current one, since personally it does not allow me to access the workshop from within the game, it gives different errors and I cannot know where it is to acquire it and be able to participate if it is of my interest.
    I would also like the Spanish language to be added to the game, not as a priority but in the future.
    In the game I have changed my nickname "Chug" for my real name, in the online competitions in which I participate my real name keeps me, but when I enter the competition system of the game itself it changes my name and returns to the previous nick, as much as I change it, is it possible to keep the change to my real name ?, I do not mind losing my previous statistics. Regards.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  13. SLK

SLK Registered

Why have you decided to allow participants to choose aero-packages instead of forcing a package for an event/series?

14. EmanueleMarra15

EmanueleMarra15 Registered

here are my questions ... for now :)
    1. Will there be any way to see the number of entries in a race before registering?
    2. Will a new HUD be created with more information?
    3. Will there be races with an inverted grid?
    it is not a question but some suggestions.
    1. there is no possibility to see how many members there are before registering.
    2. to get points it would take a minimum of participants in a race.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    R.Noctua likes this.
  15. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

hope i can drive soon the british f3 2020 ;)

Manfredk2 likes this.
  16. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

1)
    So far, there have been collaboration events with manufacturers such as McLaren (the fastest gamer in the world) and BMW (BMW SIM M2 CS Racing Cup). Are you thinking of a collaboration event using a competition system with radicals, Porsche, Renault (Alpine), etc. in the future?

2)
    At Devcon held by Luminis in 2018, Marcel was speaking about "Cloud Infrastructure for competition". How much do you think this has been achieved? Also, please tell us how you would like to develop in the future.

About 49min 10Sec ~

3)
    I'm sorry for the question that deviates from the purpose of the CS blog. ISI has released some content (Boxmaster, Interceptor, RC car .. etc) as a demonstration of rFactor 2's physics engine. If Studio 397 publishes content for physics engine demonstrations, what kind of content would you like to publish?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  17. yashiman

yashiman Registered

Thanks for the weekly blog updates.
    This may be off the topic of CS, but I have some ideas about streaming.

I have a weekly race on my server, and I stream all of this on Twitch(or YouTube).
    Many of my friends race, after the race, enjoy watching the replays there.

1.I want Twitch items for rFactor2 like the other games (Even better if there is a formal partnership). For example, Initial name feature for respect the privacy of other drivers.
    2.Unfortunately, with the current overlay feature, the cameras all have to be switched manually. I would love to have an automatic camera feature for both live broadcasts and replays.
    3. If possible, it would be great if the TV camera would move live while I'm running, or if there would be a function to display two screens at the start of each class.
    4.I think hard to communicate driver names and rankings to people watching on replays now. I think that would be even more exciting on replay if there was an overlay that could show the exact rankings like a broadcast.

BTW, I would like to see an early return of the custom skin transfer.
    Many friends of mine makes a variety of original skins for me every week.
    If this feature is not brought back, my server will not be able to have the new UI.

Regards.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  18. Jero Calleja

Jero Calleja Registered

When a user of rFactor2 considers buying paid content, the question arises as to where and how long they can use it, on websites or private forums generally use free mods and they do not always offer fixed links with a certain vehicle or with a certain category.
    For years, in general the categories with the most interest tend to be GT's and Endurance vehicles in almost all simulators.

Would it be possible to have fixed series (with open setup) by category or vehicle in the CS?

Until now they alternate but there is not, for example, a monthly Porsche Cup, it would be a good way to encourage the purchase of paid content since it could be used throughout the month and be able to compete in different series simultaneously increasing participation in the Series Officials like GT Challenge or BMW SIM M2, in addition to using the S397 mods, the possibilities are numerous:
    - Popular monobrand like Tatuus and Alpine Cup, but also Clio Cup and Radical SR3.
    - Popular categories like GT3, GTE, LMP and DPI.
    (FVR has a free mod in the workshop of the high quality V8 Supercars)

The format greatly influences participation, being able to participate every day encourages the idea of "hanging out" and reduces competition. I believe that offering 4 or 5 sessions a day at different times (so that users of any nationality can participate) in 1 or 2 days from Monday to Friday and another 2 or 3 sessions on the Weekend would improve participation.

Finally, the CS urgently needs a system of distribution of drivers by skill level and also by level of safety on the track, if in each race your car is destroyed before completing 1 lap, we will hardly return to the CS, you understand me ;)

Thanks and best regards.

19. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

Hi. As a regular streamer I want to see some automation of processes. One person don't have enough time to react to what happening on track. Only big events can afford to have race director and two commentators. When I broadcasting the race I want some help from the game. Some old TV Plugins had for example race log in real time. Where you can see text representation of what happens on track. Overtakes, pit-stops, spins, off-tracks, crashes, slow cars. Something like that is what I want to see in broadcast panel. It would be great to have log and mark some events from that log for replay. In the end list of all marked events can be used for making quick highlights of the race.

I can manually mark all replays and adjust them but it takes time and often I can't press "Mark replay" button momentary when I need to commentate what happens on track in real time. I always 10-15 secs late with "Mark replay" button because I doing all by myself. After I mark replay I need to adjust delay time and add 10-15 secs to that. It would be great to have some settings where we can override default 5 sec delay for Mark replay event. It can make life much easier if you can press less buttons.

Another thing related to replays. You need to go to replay mode in-game every time when session switches. I need to go to game and press R and then go back to control panel and press Go to live feed to get replays work later in race. Also by default game can work really slow when rfactor2 window is out of focus and you need to switches between different windows during the stream every time. Earlier this year we had problem with that where in-game overlay went out of sync with race timer. We had chequered flag when tv overlay shows us more than one and half minute to finish. Maybe we need some auto rewrite function for streamers for "Inactive Sleep Time" option.

Also there great feature Race Update Box. It would be great to use it in qualifying session to show absolute best sectors. Another thing I want to see is some telemetry overlay with pedal inputs, current speed and rpm that I can show with onboards. I want to skip process when I need to press button Set Starting Order. Why not set it automatically when session switches to race. Also great thing is to have some event timer for switching standings overlay from gaps to number of pitstops and positions gained/lost automatically. For example show it every 10 or 15 minutes for 20 seconds and then back to gaps. Also it would be great to show current tire compounds. For 1v1 Battle overlay I want to see not only realtime gaps, current and previous lap times but also last 5 laps to see if one driver catching another.

It would be great to have some settings webpage for Broadcast control panel where we can edit options that we have in config.json.

20. Diego Barjollo

Diego Barjollo Registered

The first month of the competition system was quite hopeful, with plenty of players participating and generally clean races. Later, little by little the players disappeared, which brings us to the current situation. Splits practically empty, and discouragement among the regulars of the simulator.
    What is your plan to attract players and most importantly get them to stay in the Simulator?

Christian Wolter likes this.