[WIP] CART Factor

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by zerocool, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

You should be able to extract the files from the .mas files from the Installed folder and be able to re edit and repackage the mod from that. Or put it in to ModDev and edit and repackage from there. I've done that in the past with one or two mods to get a feel for the editing of rF2.

With this being a conversion, I see no issue with people adding and editing things to keep this as a community driven project, if people have the knowledge to contribute

ede78, Guimengo and Zeh Drei Peo like this.
  2. Lukas Lichten

Lukas Lichten Registered

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  3. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Again it's a process. You will have to use Mas2 to repackage the whole mod

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Indy500 is coming up, does anyone have a good setup?

5. ede78

ede78 Registered

Does anybody know if somebody is working on or thinking about updating this mod?

Heisenberx and USCTrojan4JC like this.
  6. Chris a

Chris a Registered

Is there any templates? Sorry if somebody already asked this but i haven’t had the time to read through the thread yet.

7. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

Started wondering again about this. I would love to see this mod get a few more updates. :D

Heisenberx likes this.
  8. Berger

Berger Registered

Hi I am having this strange problem

I am painting a carset for Cart Factor mod (currently I am painting it for automobilista version because it is way easier platform, but I have encountered the same problem in rFactor version too. I have both sims. Actually all three sims Rfactor, Rfactor2 and Automobilista -and the same problem occurs in every version)

Problem is. No matter what I do with genstring or painting Lola car will always use Goodyear tyres and yellow cockpit when driving- Cockpit is actually ok in spinner it takes my edited dds.

But when driving in in car view it just takes yellow again for some reason. It is really annoying.

And It seems it is impossible to use Firestone tires. I tried everything (mainly copying genstring from reynards that uses Firestones) but nothing worked.

Problem is there is only one single Lola in original Cart Factor carset and it has yellow cockpit and is on Goodyear tires. It almost seems as if those two things are hardwired somehow.

Can someone help me?

Thank you!

9. Berger

Berger Registered

It will be a cool carset. I got inspiration from Papyrus Indycar racing when you could pick chassis, engine and tires and combine them. So I decided to do whole bunch of lolas (since they are not well represented) In all possible combinations of engines and tires. It takes just a little bit HDV editing no big deal.

But I also want those combination to follow graphically as well. So first I stumbled upon Firestone problem as it is graphically impossible to make Lola use Firestones. And of course I do not want them all to be yellow. Because when I paint red or blue Lola it really looks akward with yellow cockpit.

10. Pwal

Pwal Registered

It's probably because the LolaT98-00.mas file doesn't include the Firestone tires. You would have to extract them from the Reynard mas files and add them to the Lola mas.

11. jepeto

jepeto Registered

a really big work to drive a cart

12. Berger

Berger Registered

I could not find any tires in Reynard directory
    Futrher more just to add to Lola mistery. All DDS and TGA files inside Lola mas seems to be corrupted or damaged because they cannot be opened with GIMP

I have never ever encountered this problem ever with GIMP as it opens all DDS files from all MAS files without any problem

And again. It happens in all three versions of the mod (automobilista, rF, rF2)

13. Pwal

Pwal Registered

I have the Automobilista version, so I'm not sure if it's the same for the rF2 version, but I found the Firestone tires GMTs in the Reynard98I.mas file and the DDSs in the CART_Shared.mas file. I can open them without any problem with Photoshop, so I can't help you with GIMP.

14. Berger

Berger Registered

Ok, i found them.
    Now what to do? I presume cart_shared is already used by all chassis. I just need to copy GMTs into Lola subfolder?

And what about yellow cockpit?

15. Pwal

Pwal Registered

You could try just copying the GMTs like you said, maybe it will work. But the best would be to import them into the Lola mas file. I haven't done this in a very long time, so I'm sorry if I can't be more accurate. But I'm pretty sure it can be done.

And sorry, I have no idea for the cockpit.

16. Berger

Berger Registered

Unfortunately Reynards GMT files are not working for Lola

17. Berger

Berger Registered

Actually it works!
    (I made spelling error in genstring Thats why I though its not working)

Thank you! One problem solved!

Now I have to solve cockpit

pkelly likes this.
  18. BeGee

BeGee Registered

Took a crack at patching some of this for my own enjoyment, I left all the removed/changed lines in the HDV with comments. If the workshop author or anyone else wants to review this that would be great. The 100% AI laptimes seem closer now.

- Updated hdv files: SemiAutomatic gearbox, remove obsolete AI options, added RadiatorDraftFract for draft to interfere with engine cooling, remove PITMENU and AIDPENALTIES appearing twice
    - Slow down the OP AI: lowered AIPerfUsage, AIAimSpeedsPerWP to use existing values in talent file, added BrakeTorqueAI different brake torque for AI
    - Change veh file: CDN -> CAN for Canadian drivers

Install these packages over the installed workshop mod.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qEdWo0niBGOKSps87zlfHMF1mUp1mJ9X?usp=sharing

If I get more time I might look into generating new UI thumbnails.

19. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Hi BeGee,

I have been working myself on improving this mod for my own use. Although so far my updates have been limited to graphical improvements. The problem I was originally trying to fix was that at lower car detail settings (High and Medium) the textures looked really bad. To get better performance with Studio 397's newer content I set the AI detail to medium for instance. This is fine when the textures are 4096x4096 pixels because with mipmaps that means with medium setting they load as1024x1024 pixels. Unfortunately as the liveries are 2048x2048 that results in 512x512 at medium settings. So I have rescaled the liveries to 4096, added a little sharpening and following Studio 397's advice I have reduced the baked in Ambient Occlusion.
    I have also started to convert them to PBR/IBL shaders.
    Along with texture updates I have reworked the steering wheels to make them less facetted and smoother and tweaked the cockpit details to look better along with retouched textures.
    I have improved the dash displays with the L2dashboard shader so they illuminate at night and the digital gauges are better aligned with their background textures. Although information is hard to find on what the real displays looked like in detail and rF2 limitations I have tried to make every car have at least the speed and current gear visible. Also the LED's do not over glow at night now.
    The Lola chassis has an issue with a bit of underlying body work showing through the engine cover, this has been fixed along with some other improvement to the model, bevelling edges for example.
    Another issue I fixed was that the swingman camera would rotate around the rear axle, so I have moved it forward. This allows you to pan around closer to the car without cutting the nose out of view.
    Some cars also suffered from the suspension disappearing at a distance so I have fixed that along with the driver models staying at a higher LOD longer so that they don't stop animating in view.
    Another recent update is I have made the rear view mirrors work on the external views by replacing their material with the L2carbody shader, effectively they are now similar to chrome without the metallic look.

Most of this work has so far been carried out on the Lola chassis, the Reynard and Swift is a little bit further behind. I have yet to touch the Penske's.

I haven't tried your update yet but from what you have said the only overlap seems to be the .veh files. so maybe they can complement each other.

Mark.

20. BeGee

BeGee Registered

They definitely could be complementary since you're mostly in the gen/gmt files I take it. My updates were relatively minor and your visual updates sound really interesting, I would love to give them a try because any sort of quality of life upgrades to this mod would be fitting. Anything that fixes these latent bugs and optimizes for rf2's built-in abilities sounds great.

I stumbled into this because I've been enjoying converted or older mods in all its low poly glory. Feels like I'm retaining a bit of that rfactor/F1c nostalgia on better laid out tracks. As long as the game fundamentals (AI, control, basic physics) aren't completely messed up I like these conversions for the most part. I consider AMS's CART Extreme the real re-master but I think this mod has it's place.