[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I had a very quick look at the video (not even sound on) and was disappointed to find it was sensibly abstract and didn't seem to rely on any specific features of my plugin - so I can't go changing how it works to invalidate the video!

Joking of course :p

David O'Reilly likes this.
  2. mufcftw6987

mufcftw6987 Registered

Is this still available to download? was hoping to install the latest version but the download link from the first post appears to be missing...

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

At the bottom of the first post, grab the 922 version
    BBA20B01-A704-4F42-955E-FB3A6EB795CA.jpeg

Lazza likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Goanna nearly found myself trying to click that image (even though I don't need to download!) and then tried to like by clicking the like on it... :p

Version 0.923 (on the way) up with a couple of minor changes, just getting back into things and catching up on suggestions:
    - added units (metres) for Lap Distance channel
    - custom logfile name format now available. I still haven't made the plugin add new entries to an existing .ini file so to get that option you'll need to rename the .ini and let it make a new one...

@McFlex better late than never :p
    @Han131
    @Dave^ I have your laptime suggestion on my todo list, just for info.

Also I'm aware there may be an issue with delays entering/exiting the car after long or repeated sessions. I'll look into it.

Dave^ likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sheesh! The updates are flying out at the moment... 0.924 is up. (like London buses, as they say)

- fixed a potential issue with custom filename formats leading to lost logs (duplicate filenames not detected properly, would only affect custom names not including date/time fields)
    - added the option to append the fastest laptime to the .svm filename (will need to let it create a new DAMPlugin.ini to see the option). (there ya go @Dave^ !)

Still looking to recreate the long session delays.

DA, Corti and Dave^ like this.
  6. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

Legend! Thanks! :D

7. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

As S397 DLC doesn’t have ride height can someone explain the four individual figures for ride height? So the FL Ride Height figure and the corresponding figures for the three other corners.

Can these be used to create an equivalent figure for ride height if they can’t be used directly?

8. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

Sorry if it has been answered already !
    Is there option to auto save data per lap or driver must do this manually ?
    Its not convenient to do that while racing !

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not yet an option, it's been mentioned a few times and has been on the long term "to do" list. I might look into doing this.

Can you please explain how you'd use the data? It will help shape how I implement it...

I'll get back to you on this, I suspect some channel confusion but I need to just recheck what the DLC provides.

Scoopscat7 likes this.
  10. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

Yes,i intend to create auto logs transfer from driver pc to mine and read engine wear.
    Everything else the driver knows from the in game plugins.

11. pyr0m4tic

pyr0m4tic Registered

Hello everybody!

I have a question about Motec regarding the "bump" or "rebound" value.

How high should the average value of the "bump" or "rebound" be in order to speak of an optimal outcome?

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything about this on the internet.

How are your experiences here?

Thanks and regards

pyr0

Attached Files:

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry for the long delay, only just got to actually logging and checking some DLC (now remembered I did this once already in this thread... but not sure how many pages back). Looks like ride height works fine.

I'm not sure which channels you're actually looking at/for, but the "FL Ride Height" is the right height at the Front Left - and the other 3 channels are the other car corners. So that's the ride height at the defined car undertray points. I'm not really sure what else to say, but I think you're looking at or expecting something else.

If you want to give more info I'm happy to try and help.

I think the Avg value is the least important, and wouldn't worry about targeting anything specific. Over a decent run I think you'd aim for roughly equal on each corner.

General advice, if you know the high/low speed transition speed, is to equalize the time spent in Hi and Lo in both bump and rebound - so 25% each. Your fronts there have higher figures in Lo%, so the normal thing would be to increase the low speed damping so more time is spent in high speed - but again, this assumes your histogram crossover point (low -> high speed) matches the car. I believe i2Pro only sets a single point for this, whereas in rF2 the transition can be different when in bump vs rebound movement. In practice a roughly correct figure is probably good enough, so somewhere in the middle in i2Pro should suffice.

If your histogram Hi/Lo speed boundary is very wrong, your setup adjustments won't do much to improve the resulting graph.

13. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

That’s good enough for me as there was some discussion in my league on these figures compared to the front ride height figure.

14. Jura

Jura Registered

Is suspension data (e.g. Suspension histogram) accurate and what is Hi/Lo Speed Boundary?

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

About as accurate as you'd expect for 100Hz data.

Hi/Lo refers to the transition point of the dampers. Most modern dampers have separate adjustment for low and high speed movement - the caveats are that it's good to know what speed that occurs at, and some allowance needs to be made for differing boundary speeds in the bump and rebound directions.

16. Jura

Jura Registered

Okay ss we can say that it is accurate to the some degree and generally I can get some useful information about that.
    When I asked what Hi/Lo speed boundary is I meant at what is the value of it or which value should I use? upload_2021-3-25_21-21-30.png
    I tried to play with is and noticed that is can make significant difference in values

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I posted about this just a few posts above.

Yes, you want that that value to be somewhere close to the mod (car) values - for third party mods you could go to the trouble of opening up the files and checking the transition speed in the .hdv file, DLC you may need to just take an educated guess. Slower open wheelers I'd say somewhere around 20-40, fast open wheelers just due to the speeds are probably more like 40-80, tintops maybe 40-60 (the suspension usually moves further, compensating for the generally lower car speeds).

As with many things, I think rather than get too hung up on aiming for 'exactly right' values it's probably more useful to get somewhere close to what should be right, confirm with some controlled testing that handling/grip improves when you adjust the suspension to achieve some target histogram percentages, and then use that in future setup of the car.

It's not really a 2 minute "plug in some values and tweak the perfect setup" process, but car setup really isn't anyway. Many competitive drivers spend hours and hours on setup, and include much trial and error in the process.

Jura likes this.
  18. Jura

Jura Registered

Hmm okay ill try to play with it...
    currently im working on Oreca and this what i currently have
    upload_2021-3-25_23-28-1.png
    Usually that middle is quite high but not like this

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, that is extreme. Track surface and type can also play a part (lots of straights, running on the packers with aero, not many bumps), but that seems a lot of low speed damping especially if you have the boundary on 10 - which would normally be a bit low if anything. Might be something particular to the car, or maybe just overdamped on the high speed - I haven't done any setup on the DLC cars so can't advise.

Jura likes this.
  20. Jura

Jura Registered

Okay, thanks. Yeah this pretty extreme example, usually its 30-50%