Released Released | Formula E Content Update March 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Keep it up!

3. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Very very.......

....not interested by FE

Sim_Player, McFlex and juanchioooo like this.
  4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Is this Formula E popular in rfactor2?!
    Maybe it’s a waste of time and resources?

Sim_Player and AlexHeuskat like this.
  5. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I'm sure Brands Hatch, Oulton and Bathurst will be the top DLC about the sales....but they focus about weird content...
    any news about what it's really interesting : new track PBR update and new track announce ?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Sim_Player and juanchioooo like this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

We get it.

7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I am not saying that there isn't a market for this kind of content and no money to be gained with FE as there are big sponsors involved and as the cars and technology might be interesting for certain people in the community and especialy manufacturers, but a brief look at the car and track selection of popular games like AC and especialy what kind of content gets created for that game by 3rd party content creators and in some cases even sold successfully, I would say that FE is clearly not on the top of that list. Modders are flooding that game with "obsolete" content and it is very well recieved. Just going through the download section at RD gives you a very nice market research without spending one single penny. Fun fact: a car that doesn't get any attention within rF2 because it's 3rd party content is on place 5 for the most downloaded cars with over 130k downloads. The highest rated tracks are historic and NA tracks by Lilski and FatAlfie. The most downloaded track is Donington Park. Do I need to add anything more? Just going by the tracks that are in other sims I would just ask why rF2 is the last modern sim that doesn't have this track allready in the stock game?

It can work both ways obviously, as offering something else than the competition might work aswell, but I doubt that a controversial series like FE is the way to go. Not because I personaly couldn't care less for that type of racing, but because you automaticly exclude potential customers and it is too niche. You can't even argue the the series is new and the future of motorracing. It's in it's seventh year with two main manufacturers leaving allready. There are certainly less controversial racing disciplines for wich people would open their wallet faster. From my perspective they should have concentrated more on the whole endurance racing subject, historic and modern and maybe on the karting stuff. Because that's where rF2 could really stand out with an official FIA Karting lisence and high quality production. But that's just me.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

So why do you post in this Thread when you don't have any interest in it?
    @Marcel Offermans We need a "Dislike" Button.

Garitt Gibsn, lagg and Jeremy Talbot like this.
  9. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

And my comment and feedback is I have zero interest about FE, I have tried once, I will never try again.

10. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Offtopic!

Donigton = :
    Fast / Technical / Undulating ..
    Maybe the upcoming track?

11. Travis

Travis Registered

Thanks for the updates @S397 staff.

Even if you dislike the Formula E series, the tracks are great fun to drive in the lower spec cars such as the DLC Radical (or the free version) or a smaller grid of GT3 cars.

12. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Some more lower-spec cars (non-electric) could be fun on these tracks (Club-racers / Track-day / TC, etc.).

13. J0E

J0E Registered

I race primarily Formula E and I like it. I don't care about the other stuff, but I don't pitch a fit when new stuff is released for cars or tracks I don't care about.

I do have one "thing" with the Formula E cars. Could you please put in an official option in the hangar/showroom for "no attack mode" so people like me who race offline aren't forced to use it? Once again last night (as I had to do when the 2021 cars came out) I had to add a new section to the FE_2021_Upgrades.ini file in the mas file and create a new single component so I would not be disqualified for not using attack mode in single player. That's probably a quicker fix than the programming to allow the AI to use it.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  14. sg333

sg333 Registered

It makes them money.

Does your company do things to make money?

15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

There is nothing offtopic about discussing a valid question regarding this kind of content and updates. People can like those updates and the content itself, but there should also be room for people to voice their concerns about said content as long as it stays civil. As mentioned in another topic, there are several free tracks and basic features in this sim that haven't seen much needed updates since years, something that would help to make the sim a more pleasant experience for everyone and not just the die hard FE fans and marketing people. I mean, what do you think what a new user does if he boots up the game and tries a race in the wet with official content like Interlagos? Do you in all honesty expect those new users to go to the steam shop of rF2 and buy Hong-Kong, Berlin or New York e-prix? I highly, highly doubt it. And the worst thing about all of this is that it affects everyone, even the FE fans within this sim comunity, who are propably looking forward to using that content with many, many more people in online races.

Also regarding the newly introduced attack mode: this feature breaks offline racing for the people who want to use that content, so why has it even been released in that state? You can't release features like that and keep the situation as is for months. It's been again two months allready since something was broken and still no fix for it. This would have needed a hotfix.

mixer61 likes this.
  16. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

They are allowed to do that, but if one does it in every single thread that mentions Fe or changelog for formula E, it's just toxic. Some people spend more time hating on Fe, than loving what they already have

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I like Formula E.
    No driving aids, narrow courses with little space, all-weather tires, attack mode, the same chassis for everyone.
    The skill is decisive here.
    Completely underestimated the formula E.

t0p5ecret and Alessio Feletto like this.
  18. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Maybe FE DLC sells like hotcakes and nobody except S397 knows about it.
    In any case, that's really original and unique content, not something some random modder group is going to suddenly address in a wake up call for saving the planet.
    Anyways, ten years from now, most race cars will be electric, with your GT3 and GTE cars of now being relegated to historic content.
    So live in the future now and embrace the FE content. Do your good deed for the planet, today.

19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Sorry, but I never laughed so hard. If they - and you - really had the intention to do anything good for the planet they would stop doing this sh*t alltogether. They are flying all that stuff into exotic countries and run generators behind their motorhomes to feed their batteries, that are everything but certainly not good for this planet. I am sorry to burst your bubble, but motor racing will never do anything good for this planet and to be quite frankly, in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't have to. And to give you some more food for thought: I had the luck to get a tour through one of the factories where VW produce their cars (electric included) and there was a Golf Mk I from 1976. Fun fact is that it is an electric car from an era when there were prohibitions to use the cars on Sundays. So as with anything that big car manufacturers and politics do, FE is big marketing move and nothing else, otherwise racing would have moved to being fully electric long time ago and Audi and BMW would have commited to it ad infinitum. And considering where most of the current energy is coming from and where the trend is going it won't be sustainable in the next 50 years and more.

And on top of that, motor racing has to be entertaining especialy for people life on track. I can tell you from my own experience as someone who has smelled racing fumes from all kinds of racing vehicles and heard anything from thundering V10s going up the Kemel straight with backfires that you feel in the stomach - to electric motocycles, that electric motor racing will never substitute real motor racing based on combustion engines for very simple reasons. Motor racing has to touch all senses and electric cars just don't do that.

So if you really want to do something for the environment, think about your consume behaviour, eat less meat, think about how public mobility can be improved and wich kind of organisations you support, but please don't force the nonesense that is Formula E down everyones throat, who appreciates classic motorsports.

20. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

It's a tough prioritization decision on what content (cars/tracks) to create, and to decide if you are trying for maximum interest of your own customers who already exist or are trying to reach out to new ones.

Formula E is a tough one for this. The newest article I can find about it is from Forbes. According to them, in 2018 more than 300 million people globally tuned in to watch at least one F-E race. Now, that's a bullshit number, but a better one is an average of 27.1 million watched a race. In the USA Fox Sports 1 got 412,000 viewers in a couple of races, and at that stage IndyCar was getting 457,000. On the face of it, it was a growing series with major manufacturer and FIA backing, and one it seemed logical to hook your wagon to. Since then, they've had the Gen 2 cars and stopped the silly swap-a-car in the middle of the race, the cars are faster (174mph allegedly) and certainly there are lots of crashes to keep people entertained. Somewhere along the line though, F-E had an esports series and whoever it was who created that folded or stopped doing it and S397 weren't able to provide the tracks for a full series (there was a 3rd party dev team for the prior incarnation). And it especially seemed popular with the 13-17 and 18-24 peeps (where I'd bet older folks like me prefer the traditional racing series and internal combustion engines and you know, some actual noise).

S397 must have gotten some connections with the FIA out of this, and I have to think that helped with ACO/FIA WEC sportscar world as well. SRO is gobbled up at this point, and IMSA has an on-off relationship with iRacing (though I'd note the lack of DPi in iRacing, despite them also having a Chevy relationship). DTM wobbled and fell. Frankly S397 probably wouldn't have been in with a shout at a BTCC title or any other TCR series either without this latest deal.

They really needed enough F-E tracks to make this relationship work. Not sure about the Race At Home thing, since I don't follow F-E at all and don't own any content. But it was a logical thing to target to try to make a splash, when there were few other good options. Hopefully they can expand the content creation team, because they've got all the British tracks to do for BTCC (Thruxton, Snetterton, Brands, Oulton, Knockhill, Croft, Donny), and we still need more for endurance sportscar racing. The other problem F-E have is not keeping tracks/countries on the schedule (some COVID, but even Diryah might get replaced). But I can't feel bad that this got created and updated, even if there is other stuff I might personally prefer.

bobbie424242, StuartAM and memoNo1 like this.