Flickerering tree shadows 6800xt + G2

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Kelju_K, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Shadows flicker with the reverb G2 and 6800xt (red devil)
    Cbash and shaders are cleared.
    Did not have this with 1080ti.
    Shadows off is perfect.
    And even if the shadows rendered on car/cockpit have allways been a bit flickery (or wavy and jagged edged more likely), the enviroment shadows have been nice and fine with the 1080ti.
    now the enviroment shadows flicker like crazy. its unbearable.
    such a shame as the 6800xt can push full 100% SS with the reverb G2.
    Everything is up to date. Windows, steam vr, amd drivers, svr 4 wmr, mb drivers, etc.
    what a bummer to have this shadow thing ruin the otherwise great experience with full G2 resolution...:(

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Sounds like a driver failing rather than rF2. Something in the drivers is not working, it could be an item that was optimized for higher performance and thus poorer quality. Getting AMD's attention to address an issue in a 7 year old sim may be difficult, but there are some AMD apps that come with the drivers to report problems. Give those a try.

3. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

gonna try previous drivers tomorrow. already tried to underclock the card, and all the settings in the radeon software to no avail.
    i'll report my findings tomorrow.

4. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

tried the only other driver available for the 6000 series cards, and it's a no go as the reverb G2 wont work with it.
    Also tried the release candidate version of rf2
    tried both open xr versions, wmr and steam vr versions.
    still have this issue.
    i made bug report using the radeon software report tool, and also made bug report to amd reddit technical help subreddit.

thats about what i can do for this.
    i hope the studio will try their channels to amd (if there are any? to get this fixed. availability for the 6800xt cards got little better recently, so im not alone in this for long i would suppose.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

that was my next question... how did you get one of those?

6. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

i ordered it in early december, pretty much right after the first reviews of the red devil 6800xt were our by youtubers like der8uer, hardware unboxed, etc. so it was long wait as i got just now.
    was impressed by the performance, oc potential, and the 16gb vram made me choose it over the 3080. as i didnt want that 10gigs of 3080 to become obstacle with the reverb G2, that i preordered in october.
    im very happy with the card. it does oc well and is quiet and cool.

altough im not sure if i would justifice the price it is at now. it was almost 400€ cheaper when i ordered it...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    davehenrie likes this.
  7. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

UPDATE!
    This problem doesn't occur on all tracks.
    It seems that the newest S397 tracks have this flicker.
    3rd party tracks that i have, seem ok so far.
    haven't tested all of my content yet, but ill report to this thread as i have time to go thru them.
    But as a heads up for the team, if they see this. it looks like certain type of trees cause this. could be the new pbr lighting too.
    Nords and loch drummond flicker, but silverstone doesn't, so that would point to the pbr lighting, or the lack of certain type of trees in silverstone.

I will make a list of tracks that flicker when i have time.

TITLE EDITED to tree shadows flickering, as other object shadows dont do this.

8. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

here is video of the problem:

9. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

hard to see in this video how it looks in vr, because depth is missing, but the flickering shadows dont even match the trees that supposedly cast them, and they seem to be casted on invisible objects in front of the trees, rather than the surrounding trees themselves.
    it would be great if this would be taken looked at, as rf2 is absolutely eyegasm with the reverb G2.
    @
    Marcel Offermans

10. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

BTW Nurb GP dont have this problem at all. it is only some tracks but not all, so i know its not the card at fault here.
    If this gets fixed i could really recommend the 6800xt for this game, as its absolute beast with rf2 + reverb G2..
    settings in the video:
    full track and texture detail, msaa x8, shadows medium, pp low.
    resizeable address bar enabled, if that makes any difference. havent really tested without it, as everything runs so nicely with it enabled.

Edit. tree shadows casted on road surface are fine, even on tracks with this problem. its only tree shadows casted on non paved surface and other trees.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  11. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

ok so far i have tested almost everything that comes to mind to rule out reasons for this in my system:
    -with and without resizeable address bar.
    -over and underclocking the gpu and vram.
    -tried memory speeds at JDEC (2666) XMP (3600) oc1 (4000 c15) oc2 (4200 c17)
    -default cpu and ring clocks, 5.1ghz, 5.2hgz, with ring ratios x44, x46, x48
    -tried to move rf2 to different ssd
    -tried moving pagefile to different ssd
    -steam vr beta 1.17.4 and stable 1.16.10
    -wmr for steam vr, beta and lgk
    -steam vr open xr, and wmr open xr
    I am now 100% sure this is rf2+amd driver problem.
    And btw, the the card performs as good with xmp as with mem oc.
    so as long as S397 gets this sorted with amd, i can definately recommend this card for this game, since this is one of the few (2?) cards that can push 100% ss with the g2..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  12. NuMiQ

NuMiQ Registered

Reporting for testing duty as I've also found this happening on my system. Both in pancake mode and VR btw, and as my GPU is a 5700XT I'm thinking it may be something with AMD, as Kelju has pretty much confirmed already.

My specs are in my profile, but for the record:
    3700X at stock, 32gb DDR4 at 3200 xmp, 5700XT at stock and an SSD with plenty of free space. Headset is a HP Reverb G1.
    I'll update this post with my findings to try and keep it from getting too cluttered.

Some footage of LRP after the recent update:
    https://streamable.com/hvh6d5