Packages folder in the new UI

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Vance Le Garde, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

Where do I set the packages location in the new UI ?

At least with the old UI we could control stuff atm it seems we are the mercy of this UI and everything is not working or missing

Its a loss for me I used to love this software and this new menu system is total BS. I am about ready to delete and go watch grass grow..

philman likes this.
  2. redapg

redapg Registered

If it can not be set in the new UI, try it with the player.JSON Entry
    "Package Dir":"Packages",

If you don't want to use a Subfolder of rFactor 2, enter the full Path to the Folder.
    The full Path has to have this Format: C:\\XXX\\YYY\\... with 2 Backslashes as Separator.
    That normally should work.

3. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

That cannot be set yet in the UI, it's on our list.

Alexandr Meshkov likes this.
  4. philman

philman Registered

Vancstar, you are very lucky; you get an answer to your question within the day and not from just anyone. I asked this question a month or two ago and never got an answer. But after all, now we all have an answer and that's fine. So another question: when will we have this possibility?

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  5. Vance Le Garde

Thanks for the response guys, but this stuff should have been sorted a long time ago.

I will revert back to the old UI for now as I can't run my server as it is, nothing works as it has up until the new UI sry but it isnt like PC software anymore, more like a console layout and operation. I will review it again in a few months I hope it improves but atm with the large amount of pay content being used it has moved a long way from the rf2 that felt like a group of racers creating stuff and racing it.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Mod Manager STILL works.... hasn't stopped working.... I would suggest using that.

7. Vance Le Garde

Not here it doesnt Woodee, I have been trying to get my server running with autodownload for weeks and everytime it updates the same stuff it crashes wont shutdown without locking up and the packages folder keeps moving and the new UI has missing features. I have tried everything I know so frustrating atm. But thanks for replying.

8. Vance Le Garde

Server working fine now on the old UI and auto downloading is working. I wont be able to run in the series I was registered in now but at least I can run my stuff and use the server I have created at home. I dont see why this has been ignored as the whole rF2 system is designed to get people racing online easily now it isn't.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I am running a server the same way pre-new UI to what it is now. Mod manager and mas tool series creation has not changed. The UI might display different in game but the way a multiplayer server is setup has not changed at all.

This is the mod manager...
    upload_2021-3-9_14-16-55.png

...and it works fine.

As far as "autodownload".... I have setup a batch file to download workshop item packages to manually install on my server (SteamCMD install). Unless you mean autodownload FROM the server? Then that might be dependent on the GetMod URL in the mod. The correct ports need opened on the server and the required packages need to be in the packages folder as you can see on my screenshot.

10. Vance Le Garde

I am not using steam command and dont want to, I purchased a client so I didnt have to tpye in batch files and so on to get the server to work as this is 2021 not 1995 ;) . Just works the way it always has and I cant get Mod manager no matter how hard I try to work as the mas tool and the launcher used to sry. I am aware people have it working but I rese the directories and so on and then it doesnt work but the launcher does so if I miss oout o some new content I or UI so be it won't be using it as it isnt working either.

11. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Sorry to hijack the post, but Im just wondering how you keep subscribed content up to date using a server based on SteamCMD?
    To run my servers I just installed the full game on my server machine. I can then run the servers as normal without running steam in the background. When I see stuff getting updated on my gaming machine, i open up steam on the server and it will update everything.

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  12. Vance Le Garde

That is exactly what I have done Andy, so simple and no typing just go to the workshop and upddate if it needs to be updated.

Andy Bonar likes this.
  13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It doesn't update unless I tell it.... so I have full control over my versions and mods. Nothing will break unless I break it. If a mod updates automatically it will break a series I have made and will have to remake, so I avoid that. Less hassle.

Server admin involves typing stuff.... I am sorry you see that as archaic.

If I want to download a mod, I just get the ID and insert it into my batch, simple.

Code:
    @echo off
    <drive of steadcmd>
    cd\<path to steamcmd>
    steamcmd +login <steam ID> <steam ID password> +force_install_dir <path to download to> +workshop_download_item 365960 <workshop ID> +quit

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  14. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

But how do you update the subscribed content?

Steam CMD might work better for me because I have to roll back to the old UI to update content at the moment, as the machien doesnt have a gfx card with minimum ram to run the game, which you need to do in order to update content in new UI. You dont need to fully run game in old UI

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If I want to update a workshop item.... I download the new version. As I said, I have full control over what I have on the server and when it updates so nothing breaks.

16. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

So you are manually updating every subscribed item or using some sort of script to do it automatically when you want to? That's what Im curious about as that would be the best way to do it I guess.

17. lagg

lagg Registered

18. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Sorry, I didnt see that there before. Thanks for that.
    Seems ok, but would take way too much time that way compared to what I do now. If there was a way to download all subscribed items rather than having to edit the script for every item, maybe better. Better still, some proper way for the steamcmd version to simply update any new content available.
    Until then, I think my way works best for me.

lagg and Vance Le Garde like this.
  19. Vance Le Garde

Yes it does seem archiac to me to have write scripts or batch files in 2021 to do updates, sry but thats my view if you guys are happy to do it that way I am simply not. I am not a programmer nor do I wish to re write stuff search for mod ID's and so on. The system is not setup very well atm with the need for steam command to run a server is also not he best, but it seems everyone is happy to have it that way. The fact we lost the ability to simply select teh profile we want from the dedicated server annoys me, and I have to copy and re create the profiles when the main software gets updated is alos annoying. And having the new UI with so many issues is the main public version of the software, not really that good for us as users. I don't see any stuff that is worth using in it other than it is new. I have seen the software evolve over many years and I can't say I am really even keen to say to people hey use rF2 its great, oh except for this and that and so on for 100 pages of excuses, sry guys.

20. lagg

lagg Registered

@vancstar , i think that none has said that is happy doing this.
    Someone ask something and we try to help. That's all.

@Andy Bonar i don't know any method to update everything automatically in a server created with SteamCMD, but i think that should be possible to create a script where you can send the Id of the content as parameter, and then launch this script with all the Ids of the content installed in the server

B. Gant likes this.