What motion sim should I buy? (budget 4000€)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by momoracer, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

OMG, i want something light and discret and silent, not like a Jet for the moon :)
    My first choice was PRosimu, but even with prs 200 they are noisy.

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

PT actuators are less noisy than Prosimu.

3. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

thanks,
    it seems that PT actuators don"t come with tuto or guide to mount everything.....

4. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

Or if you want a DIY project you can look at SFX 100

5. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I prefer all in one, very easy to mount, I have already contacted SR1 sellers, it feels nice, I prefer Heave feeling vs yaw effect

6. Anthony Lineberry

Anthony Lineberry Registered

I have an SFX100 setup, though I will say the motion fidelity from rf2 compared to other sims was really lacking. I was kind of surprised about this. The main example of this being the lack of road "bumpiness". If you've ever driven a race car with stiff suspension you'll know what I mean.

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

With my PT system rfactor2 has by far the best motion feeling.

mobanton likes this.
  8. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

All in one solutions are extremely costly. I love my D-box system but, would seriously look at the PT Actuator setup with more travel in a 3-actuator system if I did it over again. I love the idea of having a G-seat but, the noise level is a big detractor for me.

The G-seat options would give excellent results with a fixed monitor. For D-box / PT Actuator type motion, I would not want the monitors mounted to the rig, it causes too much stress on them. The D-box system is very quiet but can create very strong vibrations at high frequency. That feature can create low-pitch noise, especially on less stable surfaces. Unless you have a system with 3" of travel or more, I don't think fixed monitors are an issue at all (but, I much prefer playing in VR anyway).

If you are considering a D-box system, there is a well established world-wide distributor that can provide used & refurb gen1 systems that could possibly fit your budget.

9. Anthony Lineberry

Anthony Lineberry Registered

Weird, for whatever reason there are just less parameters provided to SimFeedback for the motion profile for rf2 than there are for other sims.

10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I suspect there may be good reasons for that. It may be that some titles don't have enough effects or channels to work with and 3rd-party apps need to add some work-around effect to fill the gaps. Or, some titles may have so much data available via telemetry that they can separate / isolate the effects further.

From my experience, it's pretty much the same with any feedback device or system, FFB-wheels, SimVibe, D-box, etc. Each title has some effects that others don't offer / support. Interestingly, D-box have managed to provide effects where there is no telemetry to trigger them. They may use other cues to provide the effects, such as with movies or games that don't offer telemetry data at all.

FFB steering systems generally rely on physics-driven effects through the FFB API but, may also utilize channels for canned effects, telemetry-driven effects, or Direct-Input effects. All titles may handle these various effects a little differently but, most hardware will support them in some way. Direct telemetry-driven FFB effects are rarely supported by steering systems (the AccuForce being one of the few exceptions).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  11. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I hesiate with
    3DOF prosimu

and SR1 ultimate motion

I only want all in one, and these are the two motion rig I hesitate.
    Which is better ?
    The prosimu is very very noisy.

I play most of my time with rF2 and rally.

12. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

If you only want 3DoF, then I would suggest a second-hand D-Box (Generation 1).

This model was superseded in 2017 and D-Box is now up to Generation 3, however the 3DoF performance of Gen 1 through to Gen 3 is the same (i.e. same motion, same quietness, same reliability etc).

The key difference is Gen 1 actuators can only push (e.g. pitch, roll, heave) whereas the newer D-Box models also support pull (e.g. surge, yaw, sway).

A used D-Box Gen 1 4250i 1.5" is now around USD 4,200; that's less than half the price of 3 years ago. A 3 actuator setup is probably cheaper.

On top of that, I can envisage a lot of used heavy duty D-Box systems becoming available over the next few years as cinemas worldwide start to close, so expect prices to fall further.

For me, the only sim racing motion platform I would consider buying second-hand would be a D-Box, mainly because of their reputation for robustness and reliability. Any other motion platform I would want to buy new.

The only thing that would worry me longer term is D-Box's financial viability. Their share price is down, their sales have fallen through the floor during the pandemic and their large market of cinema motion seats has collapsed, albeit they just closed out a $5.75m public offering last week.

13. Chris_h

Chris_h Registered

Have you seen the Kinemaniacs Portal 6DOF development kit?