Replay compatibility

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Raintyre, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Since build 1121 we can not see any replay recorded with older builds.

I wish Rfactor 2 is compatible with any replay we load, as it was always.

It's pretty awkward that i can see myself perfectly in 2 hour races and hotlap replays which I recorded in 1992 in Accolade's 4D Sports Driving, or in 1994 using Papyrus's Indycar Racing, Microprose's Grand Prix 2, etc,... but soon I won't be able to see any replay recorded just some months ago in Rfactor 2 because the last build that makes it possible will be deprecated soon.

I wish we can watch any replay recorded in Rfactor 2 since the release of Rfactor 2, as we always could do.

Thank you!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You still can, but you have to roll back to a previous version. Takes less than 30 seconds.

I would suspect the reason was not just to change something in the replay format so that it was no longer compatible, I would suspect it had to do with implementing a code improvement that wasn't possible to use in prior versions. I would suspect this paved the way for pedal inputs in the latest Release Candidate offering. I would suspect most of us would rather have the new features that are beginning to appear over simplicity of watching a replay.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I very much doubt pedal inputs have anything to do with this. Those just use the inputs that form part of the replay working - those inputs HAVE to be in there.

It takes a fair bit of work to support old formats. The issue here seems to be that we're now down to only a handful of build options on steam, so quite quickly there won't be any option to get to those old replays. I think 1119 or so was already a break wasn't it? So no longer possible...

Raintyre and davehenrie like this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I hadn't paid attention to the truncating of older version. Thanks for the enlightenment!