Announcement | Motorsport Games Enters Into Agreement to Acquire rFactor 2 and Developer Studio 397

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Mar 3, 2021.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

I have a feeling the guy at 8:30 doesn't know fully what he's talking about. His vision seems to be to have the same sim please both hardcore sim racers and also novice players, but we know this has in practice never been achieved. I hope after he gets more familiar with rF2 he'll understand it's not as simple as adding a few more assists if he truly wants to make rF2 a console hit product. This sounds more like marketing talk to me than someone who has actual experience working with sims.

shovas likes this.
  2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

"Guy at 8:30" was the game director of Dirt Rally 1, so yes he knows a thing or two about sims.

3. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I was being a bit poetic when I said "from scratch"...

I don't know how many physics/tyre calculations take place per second, but I'd expect that today's hardware could do a lot more than that of 10yr old hardware etc. Especially if multithreading can be implemented as you say.

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

Would be curious if any further/more/faster processing of the tire data even matters. I don't know enough about it to comment, but surely there's a point where the data processing just needs better accuracy and not just 'more of'

5. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

This sounds very positive to me. Theres a reason they went and bought RF2. The tire model/physics. Surely they didnt buy it to ruin it - that would be senseless. I hope this means more hands in RF2 developement to speed up the pace. Perhaps they Can even lend a couple of UI guys from MSG... I think this is exactly what RF2 needs - a Pro game studio to help tie up all the loose ends.

Balazs Magyar and pkelly like this.
  6. Mauro

Mauro Registered

7. lagg

lagg Registered

Great!!!

8. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

I hope this is good news for S397 staff first and foremost. I hope rf2 does get the boost it needs and indicates it will get. But goals can change quickly at these times. We will see.

Right now we are where we are and this seems apt for this thread:

there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know.

:D

9. xerofer

xerofer Registered

I think rF2 will carry on as the laboratory for physics development.
    To achieve what the MG employee said there is A LOT of work to do:
    Tire pressures and temperatures
    Aerodynamics
    Drivetrain
    Rainphysics car and trackwise

I think S397 will concentrate on these parts in the future to bring this expertise into the MG realm.

So no, we will not See rF2 going out of business any time soon.
    Good times ahead, just my 2 cents.

Rui Santos likes this.
  10. Germano Cervini

Germano Cervini Registered

I hope you are right, but why is it all unclear?, and why did the boss not write a message on a forum to better explain the projects ?, this makes me suspect .........

11. AMillward

AMillward Registered

They never said they were going to make it simcade or stop.

I fail to see why people are getting in a huge panic that it's going to get DuMBeD DoWN, they said in the interview that S397 will carry on as normal. How many times does this need to be said?

12. lagg

lagg Registered

The announcement was yesterday and they say "we welcome Motorsport Games as the prospective new owner of Studio 397"
    If i understand correctly the agreement was done, but wasn't yet signed.
    Today is the day of the contract, signs, etc.
    Do you think that they are going to tell us today all what we want to know?
    Do you think that the boss will have enough time today, to write down their new projects and post them here?

13. stonec

stonec Registered

That's not exactly what they said though, in the interview the guy representing Motorsport Games was pretty clear about wanting to reach a broader audience. Whatever that means in terms of concrete changes, remains to be seen. As I said, I'm confident nothing in the very near future will change, but we'll have to see what this new studio exactly wants rF2 to be. I hope they keep rF2 apart from all the more arcady stuff as a separate product, the way that Assetto Corsa for consoles is a different game than PC Assetto Corsa, but if rF2 isn't selling well, it will increase the pressure for them to make some changes.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    mesfigas likes this.
  14. gianlucap

gianlucap Registered

What if EA buys Motorsport Games now? :)

15. xerofer

xerofer Registered

He actually said he wanted a range from beginners to hardcore simracers.
    Just by setting up the assists.
    This means the rF2 physics should be in place unaltered with all assists off.

nonamenow and AMillward like this.
  16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

He said that'd be done through changes to the in game driver aids. Stuff that most of us have already turned off.

Balazs Magyar likes this.
  17. xerofer

xerofer Registered

What if MG buys Kunos?

18. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

This is all exciting and hopefully promising news. The only thing negative that concerns me as a fan of RF2 and a VR user is the use of the UE4 engine. ACC obviously uses this and even with the latest cutting edge CPU and GPU the experience is poor when compared to RF2 and other sims.

Please don't leave VR behind. I know that we are probably in the minority but VR is the way gaming will eventually go IMHO.

19. MiguelVallejo

MiguelVallejo Registered

I read very negative comments and feelings,
    I'm a little scared too. But in the word of F. Alonso himself rF2 ¨is the best in sim second by none¨, it would be better to think that S397 will have more resources to improve the sim faster and at the same time there will be projects in parallel that can be more or less arcade ... ? Or maybe I am too optimistic ..?
    https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/1367234559100792834?s=20

20. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm very skeptical that this can be done, I haven't seen this approach being applied successfully in other sims. A properly simulated car is very sensitive to things like load changes, tire overheating, etc. When you combine that with erratic pad inputs, not only do you need to filter those in all kinds of ways, but I reckon you basically need to make the car drive itself. This is something that was kind of done in Crammond's Grand Prix series when you used the keyboard, but the keyboard experience was still quite terrible in my view.

rF2 already has an extensive set of aids including steering assist. If the current ones are not enough (which the developer claims), the next step is to either dumb down the physics or go fully auto drive with the aids.

shovas likes this.