Announcement | Motorsport Games Enters Into Agreement to Acquire rFactor 2 and Developer Studio 397

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Mar 3, 2021.

1. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

you know what would be good?
    Something like ...a lengthy, exhaustive and clear S397 post on forum...
    This news alone was worth a wordy roadmap post which a lenght at least on par with the useles actual championship/events/etc recaps published until now...

xerofer likes this.
  2. Germano Cervini

Germano Cervini Registered

very true, this frightens me, that's why I'm pessimistic, it's all unclear, for me Studio 397 right now, it no longer has power over anything, too bad!

3. Fer

Fer Registered

Without official information what we do is speculate on the future of rf2, I think that we should not deny the possibility that rf2 is a test bed to develop other products, because if the intention is to develop new products, what interest can they be in following developing rf2, I don't know, who is going to keep paying dlcs without knowing where the issue is going. we don't cry, we just accept the possibility.

xerofer likes this.
  4. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

eh, thanks for sharing the same view on the communication front but please no more posts like yours, you are acting like you know all is going to end very badly and very soon which is in a way too much exaggerated even for the pessimistic ones here like me lol

Remco Majoor and atomed like this.
  5. gecervi

gecervi Registered

I express my thoughts, although this may arouse displeasure, but it is my thought, the result of my experience, but I hope to be wrong and see a future RF3 with better graphics and with the current improved physics, but I do not think it will come true '

6. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Hope your right Mantas.

7. Rastas

Rastas Registered

I just hope they dont kill mooding suport.

Mauro, atomed, lagg and 1 other person like this.
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Here's an assumption for you; I've long thought for a couple years now that Modding Support is becoming a thing of the past. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that RF2 may well be the last title to fully "support" Modding.

shovas likes this.
  9. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

RF2 has been around since 2012, 9 years!

What else are you using that’s 9 year old?

I doubt many of you have hardware or other software that is that old?

How long do you think they should keep updating/patching 9 year old software (ignoring all the bugs they introduce when the do :p )?

Don’t you think starting with a clean slate at some point would be beneficial, to us users as well as the developers?

10. Rastas

Rastas Registered

I know that,but for me is a huge hobby,is passion as a mechanic to make ours dreams car and drive them,basicly is my second life :)

atomed, MarcG and Rui Santos like this.
  11. sg333

sg333 Registered

...do you think Windows 10 is all fresh and brand new code?

mantasisg and atomed like this.
  12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

To make a better than iRenting competitor is easy, just put everything in place in rF2 (tires, temperatures, weather, bugs, etçª) and it will dust competition...

Giving up on rF2 now would be a very stupid mistake...

davehenrie and atomed like this.
  13. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

And how old is iRacing???

14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Even though in the interview they said S397 was going to carry on as normal?

you’re really sounding like a broken record.

billyblaze likes this.
  15. stonec

stonec Registered

More than you think. Most code is recycled. In "rF2", there is code that probably goes a lot further back than rF2. With your logic, iRacing is 12 years old. Its graphic engine didn't even get the same major refresh as rF2. CS:GO was released in 2012 and is among the most actively played games on Steam.

The whole concept of age in software is becoming less relevant since computer hardware isn't advancing following Moore's law anymore. The value in software lies more in how well it's written and how much effort and thought has gone to it, so rF2 itself and all the years spent developing it carries quite a bit value.

Since rF2 is so complex and been in development for so long, I don't expect any major changes to follow from this new deal, at least not in the near future. Even if we assume the worst case scenario and Motorsport Games *wanted* to make rF2 arcade, it wouldn't make much sense for them to spend time tweaking existing content. If anything, they should put effort into cleaning up the UI and making everything in the interface more beginner friendly.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  16. Germano Cervini

Germano Cervini Registered

I don't think they will ever make a RF2 ARACDE, I'm afraid, I hope I'm wrong, that it will be abandoned soon, and then they create a semi-arcade RF3 from 0 or almost, to attract even children who play with the PS5, a vast audience that pay a lot

Mauro likes this.
  17. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

Well this thread turned toxic over night. Since so many have crystal balls here can I have next weeks lottery numbers? :D

amsterDAN and lagg like this.
  18. Mauro

Mauro Registered

19. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I don't use iRacing, so I don't know how active development is. When was it was last updated? How often? How often is new content released? When was the UI totally overhauled to include new features?

As noted, RF2 is based on RF1, & probably some of it stems from SCGT too.

Surely we now are much more advanced than we were back then.

Do you not think a fresh start would be a good thing?

Do you do the same job in the same way you did 12/9 years ago? I know I certainly don't.

Has nothing progressed in terms of sim development in that time?

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

So you assume that they wouldn't face every same issue and even more if they ditch rF2, and start something else ? Whats the point to loose rF2 and everythign that has been accumulated in it ?

If rF2 would be turned into what codemasters has been doing all the time - a new title each year or two, with some improvements and some things compromised, no continuity, no consistency, no community/moddign aspect... then it would be lots of loss for us. It is amazing people wish for it, although it is not amazing, people in generally are constantly makign bad decissions and the npaying for it, it is our whole history, and this is just one game (although serious one, as for now).

I don't know why you say so, is it because you have observed the trend, or because you are advocating for it to happen. But it is so absolutely. Just as being enthusiastic about fundamental things such as basic intterest in ALL cars, interest in understanding how physics works, interesest in having strong driven community instead of being completely depending on main developers for every single thing.

These things will probably last as long as rF2 will last. And thats a big reason not to want rF3 IMO.