Game won't launch after moving drives

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Lateralus21, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Lateralus21

Lateralus21 Registered

I moved my rFactor 2 steam install to a newly installed hard drive due to issues with low disk free space. I used the move install feature in steam and everything was working fine as I played without issues 3-4 times over the last week. Today I subscribed to a couple new items on the Steam workshop and now my rFactor 2 will no longer launch through either steam or desktop shortcut. It just hangs on the white rF2 loading screen. When I try to launch from the desktop icon I get a message stating "fFactor 2 is attempting to launch with the optional parameters show below "+path+" " +workshopsync ". It looks like the workshop is not synced anymore since I moved the install from my D drive to my E drive. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I scoured the ini files for anything but couldn't find anything specific for setting workshop paths.

2. Lateralus21

Lateralus21 Registered

To add, the workshop items I subscribed to did download. They are in my workshop content folder so it appears it did sync it just won't launch. I let it sit on the splash screen for 15 minutes a couple of times but wouldn't load.

3. RTM110

RTM110 Registered

Hello, I think I am having a similar issue. I moved my steam folder to a new drive a few weeks ago and up until yesterday everything has been running fine. Now when I try to start RF2 through steam, the launcher, or even Fanalab all that happens is the Rf2 logo appears for about 20 seconds and then the game stops running. I am going to try to send an email describing this issue and I will report back any of my findings.

4. Lateralus21

Lateralus21 Registered

OK, I finally let it sit longer and a firewall notification finally came up after 20+ minutes. Once I allowed access everything is fine now. Not sure why this changed since earlier in the week but all is good now.

5. RTM110

RTM110 Registered

Interesting, so when you say you "let it sit", was the RF2 logo just showing? When I try to run it I will get the logo for about 20 seconds max and then it just disappears and the game shows as not running.

6. Lateralus21

Lateralus21 Registered

Yes RTM110, I had just the RF2 logo showing in the center of the screen. Before it was closing out when my Steam VR closed due to inactivity. I switched it to run on my monitor instead and after being up close to 20 minutes the Windows firewall came up finally. I allowed access now it starts quickly in both desktop and vr mode.

7. RTM110

RTM110 Registered

I see. I'm doing a completely fresh install at the moment. I hope that works. Happy it got resolved for you, enjoy :)!

8. RTM110

RTM110 Registered

Looks like a fresh install did the trick. For anyone having this type of issue in the future, be sure to delete the rf2 folder from steam>steamapps>common when uninstalling from steam.