Bring old UI back!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stratoliner, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

Well if Studio 397 aslo admit that there are problems
    Then maybe there is a reason ;)

I for one seem to be getting either crashes on exiting or its hangs for a while while exiting

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The long pauses are usually either replays getting written to disk or log files being saved. You can search around and find possible cures.

Jim Lee likes this.
  3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

yesterday race in the community and the umpteenth freeze, still listening to the engine but it did not return, out of the race:(:mad:
    everything remains the same:mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

Thanks, will have a look

5. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

Yes that happens to me between sessions

juanchioooo likes this.
  6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Came in ca 3 years ago with the previous UI and i had very little issues with it. Was pretty straight forward. It had a retro look but it was a typical sim menu with lots of options, lol.

7. Skylar

Skylar Registered

I don't know if it's the new UI or not but after unsubbing from everything in the workshop, uninstalling any local mods in my packages folder and reinstalling RF 2 I was able to run the Rf4 in the competition series.
    Fwd to the new phase of the competition series and purchasing yet another car. Can't register for the Porsche series or the GT3 series as I'm told I have an incompatible mod....again.
    I haven't run a race since the last one in the last series and yet here I am again.
    Good times folks. Getting close. Getting real close.
    Not that it matters as studio 397 has gotten more money out of me.

<Edit> Well after a restart of RF 2 it decided I needed to purchase another Porsche which allowed me to register for that series free restarting the game 3 more times. Still can't do the GT3.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/uninstall-the-finished-series.68908/unread ?

9. Skylar

Skylar Registered

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

mod manager app is still there and still works (bin64 folder)

Skylar likes this.
  11. Marc Christopher Harris

Marc Christopher Harris Registered

I agree with @Paul McC - it's too difficult to do the easy things on this sim and has been made even worse. Whereas we see all the effort being put into stuff like Formula-E that if the community was asked, a very small percentage care about.

I also see exactly where @dylbie is coming from. Its a farcical mess in terms of a software testing facility. I also work in this area, but with Clincal IT Healthcare related systems that have to be approved before release. Christ, if we'd released the systems clinicians have to use with a UI as poorly tested as this one, and a piece of software with so many crashes, issues and everything else there would be clinical errors in terms of patient care, and more importantly, lots of grumpy nurses and doctors.

From a user experience perspective, just trying to get into a session to race is like having a million dollars on a table in a room which you look into. It should be so easy to walk and go and pick it up, but as soon as you take one step forward an invisible glass panel slaps you in face, followed by every other obstacle you can think of. So you just turn around and leave, without ever getting to experience that prize at the end. SO many real race drivers I know have messaged me for help hearing how great the driving is - but have just given up before they've even got to experience it.

Shame.

juanchioooo likes this.
  12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

9000 bought the first FE car, 10,000 bought Gen2, perhaps not as small a percentage as you may think.

So you're comparing a system designed to aid Doctors & Nurses to a System that supports a Computer Game....Apples & Oranges mate, of course your system will need to be better :rolleyes:

When you know how it's very very simple to load the UI, select a Car & Track and get into an Race....very simple. Sure I agree it's not as intuitive as it could be, you do need to go through too many Clicks (IMO) to get where you want to get too. But seriously this bed wetting is making it sound like it's an impossible task, it really isn't, it's very simple. Sure it may be "different" to what you're used too with the Old UI or other Sims but at least give it a chance,. If you still have troubles after a few days of usage then I really worry for you more than the UI ;)

Oh yeah I also hate it when Jenson Button rings me up moaning about the UI :p Funny thing is people moaned EXACTLY the same way about the Old UI, that it was "not good" and "a barrier to race" - absolute nonsense for the most part, again it may not be the greatest UI ever created and Yes it still needs a lot of work, but the dramatic overreaction from people is extremely silly.

trichens, Jim Lee, bwana and 6 others like this.
  13. Marc Christopher Harris

Marc Christopher Harris Registered

Have you calmed down now? I'd imagine the keyboard needs a wipe after the amount of saliva leaving your mouth as you typed.

It's not that simple though, is it? If it was this thread wouldn't exist. It infuriates me from the perspective of people I know, who are race car drivers. want to play MY favourite sim, and give up due to the most basic of issues. Getting onto the circuit without it crashing, or using the UI to the point it infuriates them that much they go back to iRacing.

No, Jenson Button didn't ring me, (although I have spoken to Jenson when I was invited to race with him in his invitational event on ACC) but, not going to over exaggerate here, but a handful of real drivers have.

I'm not going to rise to your immature comment about people being bedwetters. All the people want is to see progress, and there isnt any. People have the right to moan about something they have paid for and isnt fit for purpose. People tend to pick one sim as their favourite, and just want to see it succeed, so I do appreciate your passion for it.

I just wish S397 would get a UI expert in, revamp it, properly, and be done with it so people can focus on the driving.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok then

15. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

must admit, when this new UI became the norm I hated it, I tried it once before when there was the option to use it or the old one, I went back to the old one, now with the new UI being forced on us I hated the first few times of using it to the point that every session that we had in our league I made some comment towards it. After using it 5 or 6 times now I can find my way around and it doesnt bother me as much, it looks more modern I'll give it that, do I like how everything is layed out? no I dont but I can navigate it without too much hassle and it seems to be working on my system without any bugs or crashes so I'm happy with that.

In life I'm a person who doesnt like change to my routine and online I'm pretty much the same, I get things in order and use things the same way (even though sometimes theres quicker or easier ways) for extended periods to make things easy for myself and I've no doubt that using this new UI will become just as easy now that its default.

16. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Don't! !!!

17. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

I am getting used to the new UI but bugs me when it hangs between sessions or on exiting. Also whats happened to the above car labels? Also whats happened to the info when watching another driver ie gear, speed revs etc etc

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Both not yet back, but on the list.

Jim Lee likes this.
  19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Many thanks.

20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

it can't be explained in a better way ...:);)
    now be careful with the funboys troop that walks all day defending the indefensible from studio 397

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Dady Cairo and Juergen-BY like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.