Bring old UI back!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stratoliner, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Wait how did you even get to the new ui I’ve been running the “old” one since I got the game?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Did you even migrate to steam?

4. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If it's on "None" and you're still on the old UI, you have some serious file issues going on. None is always the latest, which at the moment is 1124.

I would suggest moving some of your folders (UserData at least, but maybe most of the 'small' ones) out to a backup folder, verifying files in steam, and starting again.

6. Stockers

Stockers Registered

Should never have upgraded from the old UI. Was simple to use. Instead they should have concentrated on making the gameplay the best on the market inc sorting out the AI issues once & for all.

rand777 and Hazi like this.
  7. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Yeah I think I did something wrong what did you mean by moving them to a backup folder? I moved just the folders to a new folder and verified but is not working

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Backup folder just meant somewhere you will still have them - as some of those files may contain things you want (settings, skins, etc). As a troubleshooting exercising it can be useful to move or rename the entire UserData folder, verify and try again, and you can always delete the new one and move the old one back in and it's like nothing happened (if it doesn't fix the issue).

It may be more useful to start a new thread rather than continuing in here, but did you run the video config after verifying? (PLAY in steam will let you choose the graphics config)

More info on exactly what it does would also be good. A trace file as well if you can get one.

9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

No its the fact that we have been going back and forth between the new and old UI for a year and it still does'nt work well, it does'nt matter how long you've been using it for. Its badly designed. This would all be ok if they'd brought it out and it was like this, then in a few weeks they patched it and it was fixed, but its not, its years! And trust me I want it to work and be brilliant! I want to buy Circuit Azur, wanted to buy it for a very long time, happy to put my money down, when I can use it without S397's own cars and A.I. not being able to navigate the course. But Im not gunna buy summit i know is broken. Folks don't have to wonder why the new UI does'nt work well for them, its quite simple, its broken. The multiplayer is still broken aswell. I hav'nt been active on these boards for a while, cause I just gave up, the new UI made me give up booting RF2 altogether for quite some time. Ive installed the old Ui again, and suddenly im playing and enjoying RF2 again. So clearly its a problem with the UI, not the users. Do we all want it to work and be brilliant... Hell yes!

rand777 likes this.
  10. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Just to be fair there are a few elements of it I like. I like The fact if you look at a server now it will show you if there is A.I. in the server and how many their are. This is great! It is a feature missing from the old UI which I always wished it had! Thing is the old UI had some great features that once discovered you'd wanna keep, but they needed to be made more obvious. Brilliant make a new UI with all those great features and add more (like the above) that are great and useful but,,, The new UI has added a new useful feature and then actually gotten rid of some of the features we liked about the old UI. Then on top of that you've got a new UI that runs worse than the old one. New, is neither here nor there, new and improved, now thats what we're looking for.

rand777 likes this.
  11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Again just to be fair. I like the fact the new UI now gives you a little detail about the car you select HP and stuff, thats useful.

12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

One thing I know for damn sure, after going back to the UI and driving RF2 with S397's cars and tracks. Nuthins changed about the driving experience, it feels damn good to be driving it agin!

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What I love is that everyone hated the UI.... always have. People begged for it to be changed from the first instance on release.

Once they heard a new UI was in the works.... they started to hate the current one too.... hated it and begged for the new UI. Then they get a new UI and are like "no.... I like the old one" :D

Jim Lee likes this.
  14. Filip

Filip Registered

That tells much of the quality of the new one.

And I don't see your point.
    Knowing the time taken for it and numerous mentions of new ui in the works in the official roadmaps of course the expectations were that it will bring improvements on top of existing functionalities and more pleasant user experience.
    There are new functionalities but at the expense of missing old features or broken stuff. If you combine that with bad design and some easy fixable issues that lots of people are complaining and nothing is done about why is it surprising that people are not satisfied with the new ui?

15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Spot on!

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I just find it funny. Getting so wound up about a menu, when the whole game is still there to be played beyond it :D

trichens, Jim Lee and davehenrie like this.
  17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I got to partially agree with you. It's an UI after all and not the game itself. I see other studios changing UIs back and forth tweaking stuff sometimes for the good, sometimes for the worse and it's not the end of the world. But ...

The problem with the rF2 UI is that there are some fundamental things done wrong that are obvious when you take a look at the wide variety of different UIs across different softwares while the UI was advertized as the next big feature holding back development in other areas. And I am not talking about subjective issues that are a matter of taste but design basics. There is a reason why the big majority of UIs are designed in dark greyish colours or why most softwares with bright backgrounds offer a dark mode. Just look at AC, PC1 and PC2, AMS1 and AMS2. All the big design progamms like PS, GIMP, 3DSMax etc etc have grey backgrounds. Then why in gods name does a dev studio come up with the (bright) idea to make the main page of their UI a striking white background knowing they have VR users? I don't get it. Why hasn't it been fixed yet even after months of beta testing, by simply changing the background colour to be in line with all the grey menus in the new UI, that are very solid to work with? Or simply offer a dark mode. I think I am someone who has been labeled a fanboy quite a few times, but I am not (yet) blind enough to see when things go wrong. There were twelve months to fix the issue, yet it's still there. I predicted the issues and it's obvious that I wasn't too far off the mark looking at the most recent Steam reviews and player numbers.

One of the big arguments for the new UI was that things could be improved and changed faster, yet it seems little things take ages or are ignored. Granted there have been a few events like the big 24 hours, but that was half a year ago. The priorities have to shift to fix the most pressing issues for the new UI asap, full steam ahead. Forget about auto exposure, fix the UI. That's the stuff that I really don't understand. Why is stuff that nobody asked for implemented in half baken ways even breaking the game, when the long requested UI features and issues are still present. Can you explain that to me? I can't.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Remco Majoor, Adam Helyes and MarcG like this.
  18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Nope, there are now features missing, so the whole of what was, now is not. Do you not think the UI is of any importance when using this software? I'd say the amount of folks stating that it is a problem for them clearly identifys that there are issues in need of resolving with the UI specifically.
    What would you say the issue is with the multiplayer showing incorrect numbers of players, do you think this is UI related or to do with netcode or summit else? Im really not sure, but this is a huge issue that has been persistent wether using either UI. For me personally its why I don't even bother with mulitplayer at all now unless im joining a club server and I know roughly how many folks are in there because im talking to them on discord, going by the number showing in the UI is useless.

I'd say things like the UI and the multiplayer not working together are a huge issue when they stop folks wanting to even bother playing the game, because if that keeps happening well, no one buys, game dies. None of us want that, because as you state, there is a whole game there. It would be a pity if folks don't experience that part of it, because im sure there's one thing we can all agree on, its fecking great!

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I also find it amusing for the most part, but there's no denying that when a UI is replaced it should at least match and exceed that of its predecessor, this one does in some areas but fails in others. There's still too many missing features of the old UI, there's still too many irregularities, there's still very slow progress made on further improving the UI as a whole and there's seemingly still too little feedback being taken on board from the community IMO.

I would've expected quicker work to fix the fundamental issues and include some of the most basic items missing from the old UI by now, obviously the Comp System and recent issues with Builds hasn't helped so hopefully pace will pick up soon. But even as a long time RF2 fan (as well as other Sims...) even I'm struggling to understand the actual Development Path of S397 these days.....and all I want is the bloody AI fixed :D

Jim Lee likes this.
  20. stonec

stonec Registered

What is it that is not working well and what features exactly are missing? If you look at the settings pages and everything, functionally it's 99% a copy of the old UI with some things slightly re-arranged. This entire thread has a lot of complaining, but no concrete suggestions about what is wrong and how it could be improved.

trichens and mel1c like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.