The Global Mazda Mx-5 Cup mod?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Balazs Floszmann, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Balazs Floszmann

Balazs Floszmann Registered

Anyone knows or make/made a Mazda MX-5 Cup mod?
    This is a really popular car in any sim what I know but unfortunately isn't in rF2.
    [​IMG]

GeraArg likes this.
  2. atomed

atomed Member

Dave^, svictor and Balazs Floszmann like this.
  3. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I would love to see this.

I would also love to see the older one updated. There are so many of those old Spec Miatas in club level racing.

It would be a perfect for a rF2 "Mazda pack". Global MX-5 and then add the DPi :)

4. atomed

atomed Member

A modern Global MX-5 in rF2 is a dream, the best memories I have of iracing are its races.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

My first experience was rather bad with it. Was my own fault, iiric I reduced caster, which really messes up perception of that mod. Also default diff settings are quite "difficult". Other than that I also like that mod very much, one of my favs in rF2.

Another similar type good car IMO is S397 BMW M2. But Miata will always be Miata.

6. Ralph_Raccoon

Ralph_Raccoon Registered

The most similar car to the miata is the Puma P052 from the reiza pack. We did a little race at daytona a few days ago, was a lot of fun

7. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I just took a look at the porting and the lot of improvements made on 3d side, etc..., build 1.32 of the SpecMiata, SpecMiata Supercharged level 1 and Level 2 and they are a good basis for developing a version that meets the current rF2 code for both physics and graphics.
    @PlickBadger did a great job and the contribution of @MikeeCZ was a milestone for the rF2 build.
    The rF1 mod was for sure one of the best developed mods I ever seen, made with love and attention, that delighted a lot of us, no doubt!

Would be nice to work on them, just to spend my free time and to update another great evergreen mod... I'll send few PM...
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/specmiata-1-3.45334/

Rui Santos, Magus, Manfredk2 and 8 others like this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You should definitely get positive reply. It is fantastic mod that with little bit of push by experienced and skilled guy will be state of the art rf2 mod.

I actually asked about deriving standard street car, and got the permission. I already have pretty well driving physics, but not rushing in case I'll still find some details, data or just simply things to improve.

Anyone who would like to test street car and give feedback pm me. Preferably real car owners who has experience of pushing it max to the limits.

atomed likes this.
  9. atomed

atomed Member

Slow Motion and a modern MX5, I don´t want to wake up.

Rui Santos likes this.
  10. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I meant to tell you last week, the download link you sent me had expired before i got chance to download it. Any chance you could reupload please?

11. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

Didn’t @davidporeilly race Mx5 in RL? Might be worth PM img as he will be able to test and give specific feed back esp on the setup side of things I’m sure. Assuming it’s of interest and he has time available?

Slow Motion likes this.
  12. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Yes for sure.
    I would be happy to do all I can to help.
    I raced the Mark 3 (NC) version for 2 seasons.
    In RF2 I've driven the Mark 2 Spec Miata by plickbadger and used it to practice before IRL race weekends at circuits I didn't know.

13. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

First step is to have the author's permission. Let's him/them time for PM back.

memoNo1, Scoopscat7 and Corti like this.
  14. Corti

Corti Registered

15. atomed

atomed Member

Ear kitchen! Jajaja, very big.

memoNo1 likes this.
  16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have got out WIP standard Miata version which is based on SpecMiata, although with rather plenty of physics changes. Not a cup car, but you can still race it and have fun driving it, I hope you do. I have released it because it in my opinion simply works fine and is fun. Constructive criticism is welcome, it would be good to know opinions what seems right, and what doesn't.

Big thanks for SpecMiata team for making it, and I am very thankful for giving a permission to modify it to street version.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2411008074&searchtext=

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Meanwhile there is wait for updated workshop specmiatas by Slow Motion, you may try out latest update of my version.

Even though at first I decided to focus on street version, temptation was strong to put on some turbo, semislicks, stiffer suspension and better brakes, little bit of aerodynamics kit (graphically not represented yet). It is still street car, but good for trackday too. These upgrades are selectable through tuning options. With tuning it gains plenty of speed and performance, while still respectably reserving spots to specmiata and miata cup cars.

Just thought to share it here, otherwise I am afraid it would be mostly missed out, I myself very often completely forget checking tuning options.

Slow Motion and atomed like this.
  18. atomed

atomed Member

I love how you focused more on the physics than the aesthetics. Also that you made the car grippier than the original. The only visual thing I think would improve the experience would be the wipers and rain effect on the windshield.

19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am not quite capable to do that stuff with blender yet, anyway I am not as picky with models, I find it rather nice actually. I have a lot more interest about physics. As for grip, I have set some laptimes relatively close to RL laptimes for "Uniroyal" tire, which I was thinking to rename to "street-performance-intermediate" or something like that. I haven't truly set any references of semislicks and 90s tire yet, but they should be in the ballpark.

Daniel Espada and atomed like this.
  20. makan

makan Registered

Last lap @sebring

I hope someday 397 collaborate with one of these teams and bring this lovely car to rF2.

FrC, jayarrbee36 and atomed like this.