File Name lists for making Skins

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Andrew Tomlinson, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Andrew Tomlinson

Andrew Tomlinson Registered

Hello all, I am looking for a list that shows the required file names to make your custom skins work/load in game.

I already have the basic ones, but all of the car packs are obviously different due to one car type loading everything and the other not.

I have a complete set working for the GT3 DLC Pack except the gloves.
    I have only the car skins working for the GTE endurance DLC, the driver / helmet / gloves don't load.

For allowed number of characters in the file name refer to the S397 skin guide.

This post refers to the file naming convention/structure (the position of the "alt" and if there are any "_" or other symbols that form the structure of the file name) for the individual DLC packs.
    The files must have the correct name structure for the specific DLC to allow the game to read it.

File names that I have working are as follows:
    1. alt[name].dds - main car skin
    2. alt[name]_region.dds - Shader car skin
    3. alt[name].json - Shader data file
    4. alt[name]window.dds - Window skin (works in GT3 - does not show in cockpit)
    5. alt[name]windows.dds - Window skin
    6. alt[name]windowsin.dds - window skin for inside
    7. alt[name]windowsout.dds - window skin for outside
    8. alt[name]driver.dds - driver overalls skin
    9. alt[name]helmet.dds - driver helmet skin
    Second set of names that works (thanks go to @Goanna for pointing to these):
    1. [name]alt.dds - main car skin
    2. [name]alt_region.dds - Shader car skin
    3. [name]alt.json - Shader data file
    4. [name]altwindow.dds - Window skin (works in GT3 - does not show in cockpit)
    5. [name]altwindowsin.dds - window skin for inside
    6. [name]altwindowsout.dds - window skin for outside
    7. [name]altdriver.dds - driver overalls skin
    8. [name]althelmet.dds - driver helmet skin
    These file names I have tested work for the below car packs:
    • GT3 DLC Pack - 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9
    • GTE Endurance DLC - 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8
    • RSS DPi Mod - 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9
    (altglove.dds file names don't work in any permutation. Anyone with knowledge please post below)

If anyone knows what other file structures work (such as extra0.dds, extra1.dds) in the above packs that would be most appreciated and we can add them to this list to help others (yes some mods list them in a read me or are listed in the .veh file).

Regarding the extra files, could someone list what these pertain too, such as Extra1.dds = wheel rims etc unless this is specific to the mod.
    Its would be great (and a big ask for the mod community) to begin using a standardised simple format for file names to make skin design a bit easier for all.

Thanks to @Felix Schendel for pointing to opening the *.veh file that is included within most mods *.mas file, you can extract this to an outside location and open it with notepad or text editor and towards the top will be a list of any of "extra" files that are used for the car.

My primary problem is getting the driver and helmet files to show in the GTE DLC cars. Those skin names are not working, in any permutation and regardless of number of name digits.

examples of skins to highlight the issue (file names listed below):

(GT3)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Files: altHSR911GT342.dds / altHSR911GT342_region.dds / altHSR911GT342.json / altHSR911GT342DRIVER.dds / altHSR911GT342HELMET.dds / altHSR911GT342window.dds

(GTE)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    altHSR911GTE.dds / altHSR911GTE_region.dds / altHSR911GTE.json / altHSR911GTEDRIVER.dds (not working) / altHSR911GTEHELMET.dds (not working) / altHSR911GTEwindowsout.dds

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  2. Andrew Tomlinson

No one anything to help?

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Try changing naming from altHSR911GTE to HSR911GTEalt. The only reason I’m suggesting this is that looking at the official GTE cars their naming for a couple of their alt skins is in the format XXXXXXalt

4. Felix Schendel

Felix Schendel Registered

You can open the uneaven version numbers of the cars from S397 with the the mas tool. Inside the mas file you find the .dds files and their naming. It's also worth to look inside the .veh files (txt editor) for the EXTRAxx namings.

5. Andrew Tomlinson

Thanks for that @Goanna ,I'll give that a go tonight for the **driver.dds see if that works.

I have tried to open the car files with the mas tool but I get a "incorrect mas key" error and it won't open. This may of been an "even" number so I'll track and odd one down and try that.
    .veh files - use a text editor, thanks for that direction @Felix Schendel , I was using the .mas tool on them.

6. Andrew Tomlinson

Thanks guys, helped a lot......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just have to try the gloves.

7. Brent

Brent Registered

Is the name of the files still limited by length? I thought at one time, years ago, it was limited to 9 or 10 characters I ran into this at one time and it took me awhile to figure out the issue. If that is still the case, it might be good to include here.

8. Goanna

Goanna Registered

The “current” painting guide in the user guide area mentions 12 as the limit.

CAAD52E8-79ED-4590-872C-10E077DAD9A3.jpeg

Brent likes this.
  9. Andrew Tomlinson

Good point I have edited OP to clarify -
    I was referring to the "format" of the name, the position of the "alt" and if there were any "_" or other symbols that form the structure of the file name.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  10. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I generally look at what S397 have done in their mas files eg in the Porsche 991 RSR GTE they have their alt files like;

upload_2021-2-6_13-28-48.png

It looks like the only one they use the _ for is the region file, doesn't look like the 12 character length applies either.....perhaps doesn't apply if making a rfcmp out of it. More question than answers :)

11. Andrew Tomlinson

True, definitely more questions (like why different for each DLC? Surely the same structure would be better?).
    Regarding the 12 characters - I have noticed that when using a long name (altHSR911GT3310windows.dds) that this would not show up in the dropdown list in the "customize" menu in game but a shorter one (altHSRwindows.dds) did.
    So the character number warning seems to be related to the name of the "primary" skin file (the alt[name].dds) that you want to give to your skin. Making it longer than 12 it won't show in the drop down menu for you to select it.

B. Gant likes this.
  12. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

If you have trace enabled, you can load into a track with the car you're wondering about, leave, open the trace file, and search for vehgfx.cpp, and it should list everything.

13. Andrew Tomlinson

Could you elaberate "trace" ? not found that anywhere.

14. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Andrew Tomlinson likes this.
  15. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

having read most of the above, how do you change rim colour......if possible, i'm assuming someone has tried it

16. Andrew Tomlinson

The wheels are not normally editable from what I have seen so far.
    These files have to be set in the .Veh file for the car, not sure how yet but I have seen in most of them that the files are called "...rim...".
    I have tried to do these but not figured it out yet so no luck so far.
    I need to spend a bit more time trying the trace methods mentioned above to try and track what files the .veh calls.

17. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

i got it sorted, turns out i can change them here, on this mod /car anyway.......
    GenString=JS1627B2 // Used to generate GMT names in *.gen file 1= rims 3 ledsup pl light 5 - steering 4 - 6 motec - 7 leds

18. hallenstein

hallenstein Registered

I am wondering if anybody figured out the file names for the tyre walls to change tyre brands for 397 cars
    in mods they are mostly called "modname" - twall01 etc.