Bring old UI back!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stratoliner, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Dyson

Jack Dyson Registered

I agree with many people here that the new UI is of poor design and has removed many of the features that were present in the old one. I wish it were possible to use the old UI because I really prefer it. I had to stop using the beta because the servers are now all on build 1123 so that was that.

Quite apart from the fact that the chat system on servers is abysmal, in other areas ,the buttons don't seem to work at times and all these "cool mind maps" detailing the options are in my opinion superfluous and over-complicated. The online sessions and general management is again very inconvenient - disconnects are commonplace and a real source of frustration. With all due respect to the people who do like it - I get the feeling there are many more that do not.

Add to this situation the really poor graphics engine, shoddy VR, an over-hyped dynamics model (it's sophisticated I know, but not remotely accurate), an incomplete aero model, and the lack of a decent UI for a game purporting to operate as one of the best simulation systems available for gamer's - S397 should really reconsider how they are managing this title - politely put, it is simply awful.

The worst aspect of the game support is a lack of telemetry (but who am I trying to kid? when the chat seems to be developed by some open source guy (apologies to "open source", I refer to how things were, not how they are now) ... it is better perhaps not to ask for telemetry).

In conclusion, I wasted money on this title 2 months back believing the press and fancy blurb that goes along with it. A week ago I found myself switching to the (supposedly) inferior AC : it has a superb UI, it drives better (as does RF1), it trains you better, the FF is better, the modding is better, the documentation is better - it's just better. I also got ACC - but I won't go into that comparison ...

I am sorry to have been so vociferous, I know the superb development skills a project like this requires and I do appreciate what is involved - so my respects to the development people nonetheless, because it is never easy to sit in that place (I had to once). However, as a paying customer on the other hand, it has been years since this came out (2012?) and given the advertisement and reviews of the product, I think the direction the quality and development of RF2 is taking (if any) is completely wrong. It is beginning to look like a case of too little, too late (and I hope I am wrong).

Thank you for listening.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'll agree with much of what you said, but I have AC, all the cars in AC seem the same as you drive them. All the cars to me have front wheel feedback with little else being communicated. I wonder if you ever spent time with the rF2 historic cars? The 1967 F1, the F3, the 1967 Endurance mod, The Matra, Porsche, Ferrari? late 60's/early 70's cars are a treasure. Enjoy your simming, whatever 'brand' feels best to you!

3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

of course you're lying, but in order to justify your opinion ... blah blah blah ... you don't think like me? hahaha, the forum is full of people who think even worse than me about the new UI ... AS IF YOUR OPINION IS THE WORD OF GOD ...:D:D:cool:
    The world is full of balls, and you were not going to be less;)

4. atomed

atomed Member

Who would predict with this thread's name it would become a ranting hole.

trichens, nonamenow and Comante like this.
  5. jymp

jymp Registered

Why not just put bright colors on the old UI and call it a day ?, just as many have said, the new UI is a terrible mess, sorry S397 you need to do better.

juanchioooo likes this.
  6. Jack Dyson

Jack Dyson Registered

Thank you for your kind reply, I do appreciate it and I promise to look into some of those machines - I probably will see them anyway at some point because I race the historic series at RD. I have driven the F3 '66 and BB 20 machines so far (I was also ok on the Lotus' 49 and Brabham in GPL) and they are nice cars.

For AC: What I have been doing is taking identical cars in RF2 and AC on the same track and trying to go for a quick identical laptime in either. Now I think that in AC it is obvious to me that they have truncated the tyre behaviour at large slip angles. But at small slip angles (fast times) the two sims behave identically across cars (except for relative grip) - I was actually pleasantly surprised. Then there is the single point contact patch modelling in AC vs RF2's super sophisticated tyre dynamics. It is when you lose control of the car or the wheel meets a discontinuity, that they become different. In AC it is easier to lose the car but oppositely it is also easier to drive it on the limit since the FF and visuals clearly communicate that you are "in the zone" better (for me).

The human perception is an amazing thing isn't it ? To me, both RF2 and AC unload the FF torque with increasing rear slip angle. Both will also tell you how much differential coast you have on - but AC seems to say less about it while RF2 is very sensitive. AC also clearly communicates the change in steering torque upon hard power in corner exits as well as wheel locking which is much more perceptible. The RF2 effects are very very subtle in the case of the latter. Out of the two, AC feels more natural and complete to me. Just on a conversational note I would recommend the Russell-Alexis FF mod and the Nissan Primera BTCC mod on AC - they are shockingly good. On RF2 I must say the Nissan is not great. What is very good is the Reiza Formula Vee though - a very difficult machine to drive.

As a suggestion for improvement for the UI in RF2 : perhaps you might consider adding in an info section about the cars, like AC does - the power/torque curves are invaluable.

Cheers and thank you again :)

davehenrie and nolive721 like this.
  7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Because it is not just about how the UI looks... but the functionality of the backend. I am still confused how this simple fact seems to escape those so scared of change.

8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

The only thing that seems, that as others have told you, and you still do not want to understand, the people are not afraid of change, what bothers them about the new UI is that it is a chestnut, that they take it out when it is in decent conditions of use ... not with a thousand failures

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am 99% interested in the functionality on the basic stuff on my own end.

Turn on rF2. In case the main game mode, then...>hope it loads quickly>choose car>choose track>set-up AI, weather, time>hit start>look at the beautiful loading screen picture, if lazy to do pushups>set fuel load>set gears and check aero and differential>quickly check suspension and alignment>minimize tire pressures haha>hit the track

The new UI is not better. Could easily become with slight redesign. But of course it is selfish of me to want UI to be better. Its S397 baby and should make rF2 experience a whole lot better. Unfortunately it does not do it (yet?). Steamcharts.com data since December 2020 also shows that new UI, AND competition system had no impact, or possibly even negative impact on average players number. Well... in my opinion competition system no way could have had negative impact for that, I think it has compensated good deal of negative new UI impact.

Worst thing that could happen now could be major doubts about physics. Which has already been seen to be pushed on. And the absolute worst part is that casual simracers don't see difference between underlying physics, and physics produced for individual cars.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

It's curious how people defend something like if their life depend on it. But it was clear that this was going to happen, taking in acount the title of the thread, and the work and time used developing the new UI.

Do i have problems with the new UI? Yes
    For me the main problems are three:
    • Many times is impossible to uninstall content in the packages system.
    • The lack of information in the replays.
    • The chat is hyde.
    This three things are creating big problems in the current leagues that don't use Workshop content and have to check the race incidents.
    Do i prefer the new UI? Yes
    For me is easier to use, the content is better organized, the setup pages are separated in a more logical way...

This is simply my point of view, neither truth nor lie.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Remco Majoor and atomed like this.
  11. glyn jones

glyn jones Registered

My main issues are that it is blindingly bright in VR, screen flickers when changing pages in the UI.
    Loading favourite multiplayer servers is irritating in the extreme.
    But mainly the fact that it is just slow all over.
    Worst UI out of all the main Sims by far.
    Once out on the track the game is great in VR

12. Dae Bennett

Dae Bennett Registered

I had the same problem deleting packages until I used the Mod Manager. It's in the bin32 folder. You need to make a shortcut of the mod manager.exe and put it on the desktop. Then you have to right click the shortcut and open properties. Then in the "start in" field, modify the path by deleting bin32 at the end but keep the closed quotes, like the picture. When you double click the shortcut it opens with all the mods. You can shift/click multiple mod files and delete them instantly. Better than the old UI method too but doesn't show what's from the workshop or local but that's in the UI.

Resized_20210129_182553001.jpeg

memoNo1, Kahel, RaceNut and 1 other person like this.
  13. lagg

lagg Registered

Dae Bennett likes this.
  14. Juice

Juice Registered

Did all that, did not work.
    This is completely unacceptable for studio397 to release such a poor interface. I don't really car what it looks like, I just want to get in the car and drive. As of v1123, I have done nothing but troubleshoot and open support tickets. This is the most help I've gotten.
    I'm sure it is a path issue to the game files, all else has been eliminated.

15. JamesB

JamesB Registered

It's weird, some people having huge problems with it and others no problems at all. I was involved in flight sim development several years ago and all of us testers had no problems whatsoever with a significant update, but when we released it quite a few people had major problems which was very difficult for us to reproduce let alone rectify. We did get it sorted but we had to enlist the help of some in the community who were having problems to do it.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Try renaming your UserData folder, verify rF2 files in steam, and then try the game again. Sounds like something's very broken on yours.

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

bin64 folder too.

RaceNut and lagg like this.
  18. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

In my case, given that the new ui doesn't add to my use of rfactor2, i'll stick to the old one until a major update like physics fixes or new sim dynamics (track temps, aero simulation, etc) force me to the new.
    Till that happens cosmetics or multiplayer changes are not my thing.

rand777 and juanchioooo like this.
  19. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

Thats fine if you happy with single player but most servers are now v1124 sxo you will not be able to join

20. Juice

Juice Registered

Did it, lost another 45 min messing with this, and now the new UI is completely broken. I can't even click on anything, multiplayer tab is gone. UI locked up, had to end task in task manager.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.