rF2 Multiple installs on Steam (Tutorial)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danalm, Jan 1, 2017.

1. machine

machine Registered

SteamCMD.exe +login myusername password +force_install_dir D:\rFactor2Nascar-Steam +app_update 365960 -beta v1122 validate +quit

This is my bat file -real login, I change v1122 to version I want. -beta None gives latest version. Once you have added a -beta, leaving it out seems to always keep the latest beta you had. My install goes to D:\rFactor2Nascar-Steam

Use SteamCMD.exe (needs .exe I think)
    -beta v1122 is the last version with old ui from what I heard, looks like old-ui as you have it will work also
    Put validate after version number (not sure if it works before, never tried)
    Add +quit to close window after finished

I then have a regular shortcut to the launcher.exe, no special launch options enabled. This used to work, until a few weeks ago.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  2. machine

machine Registered

v1122 or old-ui or any newer build breaks ability to run a SteamCMD install. Go back to v1121 and it works again as expected. It does not seem to matter what version of the game you are on in the regular Steam install. I will report findings. I just need to get it all together.

It has to do with starting game from the Launcher.
    See this tutorial on how to do multiple installs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxUh52NgN2K6bS0zb2JPVUgxY1E/view
    Near the bottom it says: "Please note that trying to start the new rF2 version directly from the corresponding rFactor2.exe in the «Bin64» or « Bin32 » folder will start the launcher of the original installation and the newly installed copy won’t start this way."

The newer versions 1122 & later are not using the launcher. (New UI)

3. machine

machine Registered

I have reported this issue to bug report.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I was curious about this so using;
    Code:
    steamcmd +login USERNAME PASSWORD +force_install_dir D:\steam-rf2-oldui +app_update 365960 -beta old-ui validate +quit
    it installed rf2 to D:\steam-rf2-oldui. Running Launch rFactor.exe from the launcher folder bought up the the old UI with version 1122(the latest available in the old UI) and all ran as expected using the old UI.

5. machine

machine Registered

If you have same install version for both installs, you might not know which one is actually running.

6. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Nope, 1124(with new UI) and 1122(with old UI)

Edit to clarify...main steam game is 1124 and steamCMD one is 1122

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Juergen-BY likes this.
  7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

What I am finding is that the first time I start Steam and run
    Code:
    Bin64\rFactor2.exe  +singleplayer +path="."
    this pops up
    upload_2021-2-2_13-34-7.png

and when I click OK it runs my original installation (loading takes a long time). If I run the same command again there is no popup and it runs the new installation (loading is quick because there are only two cars and two tracks)

Edit: if I cancel the first time the new installation runs the second time

8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

FYI I started with the SteamCmd stuff but have now developed a batch file that creates a set of junction points to my original installation with junction points to only a subset of the cars and tracks. That means
    • No fiddling with SteamCmd and the time taken to download from Steam
    • Each install is < 45 MB (no matter how many cars and tracks are selected)

Each installation looks like this
    upload_2021-2-2_13-57-51.png
    I'll publish it when (if) I get it working reliably.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Hazi likes this.
  9. machine

machine Registered

I tried same thing in many configurations, 2 starts original, 1 start new, and any other at least up to 2-2, same thing every time, I get the error as you showed in your post. Only time new install runs is if it is as v1121 or lower.

10. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Here it is.
    The usual caveats
    1. It works for me. I've tested it thoroughly but I offer no guarantees what will happen on other systems though everything it does is in the folder you create and put it in
    2. It's just a batch file so it's You Asked For It You Got It rather than WYSIWYG. If you're not familiar with the CMD window and editing files then it's probably not for you.
    Usage:
    1. Create a new folder and unzip the files in there.
    2. Make a copy of Sample.modfile.txt and edit the paths at the top of the file
    3. Open a command window and run
      Code:
      rF2_miniInstall.bat Sample.modfile.txt
    4. It only takes a few seconds to set up. If Steam pops up "Allow game launch?" cancel it then switch back to the command window, Ctrl/C rF2_miniInstall.bat and run it again, it should work the second time (though it now seems to work first time every time for me)

Attached Files:

Hazi likes this.
  11. philman

philman Registered

Finally, is there anyone here who has managed to make a second stand-alone installation of rf2 with the new UI?

12. machine

machine Registered

Not that I have heard of. Seven Smiles above has some sort of system that loads different tracks, but not really a second install. I am currently running the older 1121. That is the newest build that will allow me to start my 2nd install.
    My primary Steam install can be anything. It is currently 1122(old-ui) as I run in an online league and the new UI has issues with online racing that make it unusable.

ladose.lebelge likes this.