is there a way to save VR head position?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alexandre Martini, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

hello everyone!

i've tried to set my head position in the oculus app and in steam VR, but every time i enter the car in the game, my head position is way above the car, as you can see in the screenshot.

if i click the recenter keybind, it works fine and i'm back at the driver's seat.

do i have to recenter the view every time i enter the game or can i save it somehow?

Attached Files:

2. bksz

bksz Registered

Not sure if "saveable" or not, but...

...you should have it keybound, definitely, to some easily reachable key (pref on your wheel)...

every sim has similar quirks and it helps to get used to using that key

Alexandre Martini likes this.
  3. RDG

RDG Registered

I also experience this and recenter every time. Just one of those quirks I guess.

You should really bind the recenter button to your wheel if you haven’t already. I’ve come across the occasional situation where a poorly lit room caused tracking issues or reaching over for a drink caused my view to be slightly off center. It’s moments like these where you need the button on your wheel.

4. Alexandre Martini

cool, thanks for the replies, guys.

yeah, i have a button for that, but it's hard to understand why the view is so high above the car.

5. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Try to recenter your headset in oculus home before entering game .

6. Alexandre Martini

i did it.

i also made sure to be properly centered in steam VR too.

7. J0E

J0E Registered

This happens to me every time I start both RF2 and IL-2 with a Lenovo Explorer. I have VoiceAttack set to recognize me saying "center" to center VR.

Ernie and Alexandre Martini like this.
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yep happens in most Sims I play (WMR), a quirk of VR, simple button bind quickly rectifies the issue.

9. Stevy

Stevy Registered

If I remember correctly ther was an option to recenter the VR view while loading or while pressing "race" in the pit garage.
    But I'm not sure if
    a) it works
    or
    b) it was in rF2 or another sim :D

10. basement_jeff

basement_jeff Registered

Maybe try recreating playspace in oculus app and in steam vr as well. Dont do it standing but seated in rig.
    One of them, Steam I think, asks you to put headset on a table and measure to floor. I think I measured to my seated HMD height and entered that instead.

That said, my elevation in cockpit view changes pretty often when loading new cars. Recentering in RF2 brings it back but new cars sometimes still require seat changes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  11. Alexandre Martini

i had already done that... went through the whole setup both in oculus app and in steam vr.

but this time, i decided to try to mess with it when oculus app asks for my height.

i'm 180cm, so i thought it would be valid to try another value, so i set it to 100cm.

when i enter the car in rf2, now i'm much lower, but still above the car... i kind of suspect i'm 100cm above the driver's head.

so i thought about zeroing my height in oculus app, but it would not let me say i'm zero cm tall... it will believe me if i say my height is 30cm, but zero? nope. :D

i guess there's no way to make this work unless the game saves my position between sessions.